Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

DeVos Building Renovation for Spout and Windquest

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Gone for a long time, methinks. If I can get ahold of my uncle I'll ask him, but I'm not even sure if he knows.

#102 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:34 PM

I'd truly be shocked if the clock didn't return. It is too nice, and too much of a landmark on the building to be gone. It would be a big disappointment if they didn't put it back up.

Joe

#103 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

New sign on the front calls the building 201 Monroe, architect VIA Design. Explains their signature sloped bump outs (like Celebration Village).

Posted Image

Posted Image

First and second floor restaurant concept:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#104 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

Looks nice but where's the clock?! That would be a cryin' shame!

Joe

#105 tamias6

tamias6

Town

• Members+
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

New sign on the front calls the building 201 Monroe, architect VIA Design. Explains their signature sloped bump outs (like Celebration Village).

Posted Image

Posted Image

First and second floor restaurant concept:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks great. I like how the design ties the building in with the look of Devos Place but remaining in character of the building original architecture.

#106 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

Looks nice but where's the clock?! That would be a cryin' shame!

Joe

Would be cool if they incorporated the clock into the restaurant decor somehow.

#107 andrew.w

andrew.w

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH (still a resident of Michigan at heart)

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

Looks great. I like how the design ties the building in with the look of Devos Place but remaining in character of the building original architecture.

The East Elevation almost gives the effect that Devos Place is cutting right through the building. I doubt it will actually have that look with the set-back and everything, but it looks cool here.

My guess with the clock is that they (architect and/or client) feel that it doesn't fit with the new design since it is neither historical (of the era of the building) nor sleek and modern. From that standpoint I agree, but like others, I'd like to see it resurface somewhere - even somewhere else in the city.

#108 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

My guess with the clock is that they (architect and/or client) feel that it doesn't fit with the new design since it is neither historical (of the era of the building) nor sleek and modern. From that standpoint I agree, but like others, I'd like to see it resurface somewhere - even somewhere else in the city.

For serious: I recommend saving it for Olds Manor, in the eventuality it gets redone.

#109 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Martha's Vineyard owner is looking at opening a wine bar in this ground floor space:

http://www.facebook....=...NTRT&ref=nf

#110 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

I agree. When I think of it that way, it does look pretty cool.

#111 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

So I know there are Pomegranate / Spout / Art Prize people on Urban Planet. What happened to the clock? The building is 75 years old, is the clock that much younger? Here's a picture w/ clock:

Posted Image

Really want to figure out if the clock was trashed.

Joe

#112 fotoman311

fotoman311

Burg

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

Martha's Vineyard owner is looking at opening a wine bar in this ground floor space:

http://www.facebook....=...NTRT&ref=nf

When I spoke to Kameel Chamelly today, I inquired about this project and he seemed to be very non-committal about it. Unless he's just being hush, hush, I think it's still very much in the "rumor/idea" stage.

The space is getting done though. The sidewalk out front is open again. The addition on the back looks to be moving towards completion as well. Can anyone tell me if the weird parts sticking out about 3 ft from the windows on the back have a functional purpose. They just look silly to me. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to illustrate what I'm talking about. The photo below from JohnE shows the windows I'm talking about on the new addition (elevator shaft?), and you can see the space to the left of them where the parts stick out from the building, but they haven't been installed yet.

Posted Image
http://www.flickr.co...777/3813012510/

-Josh

Edited by fotoman311, 08 September 2009 - 10:07 AM.

#113 Quercus

Quercus

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

A few recent photos. I forgot to check if the clock is back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#114 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

Nice pics. Is it done? When do tenants start moving in?

Joe

#115 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Eesh, looks like someone attempted to paint an updated wardrobe on the Mona Lisa.

#116 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

I think it's funkadelic.

#117 andrew.w

andrew.w

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH (still a resident of Michigan at heart)

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

I'm curious to see how the slanted entrance came out. Aside from that, the rest of the add-ons aren't all that noticeable from street level.

If there is anything I'm not particularly impressed with, it is the windows. The alse double-hung units look flat and just that - fake. Notice in ridetherapid's third photo the one odd set of real operating windows on the top floor looks so much better than the rest. If the intent was to restore a bit of authenticity by installing proportionally correct windows, that extra little bit of depth would have made the results 10% better.

Of course one could argue that operable windows do not have a place in most modern office buildings. Thus, because they wouldn't be used, such windows would be just for show/aesthetics anyway.

#118 JAS

JAS

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

Nice pics. Is it done? When do tenants start moving in?

Joe

Some of Windquest employees have been in there for a month or two i believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users