Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Natural Systems and Sustainability

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

Please discuss issues and ideas revolving around these core areas:

Natural systems and sustainability; stormwater management; daylighting; resource
conservation; alternative energy potentials

#2 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Has the city looked at any ordinances to allow small wind turbines on downtown businesses? I know that GRCF is looking at adding one, but didn't know if other building owners were? And if ordinances allow them (they should if they don't now)?

#3 avanelsacker

avanelsacker

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

Has the city looked at any ordinances to allow small wind turbines on downtown businesses? I know that GRCF is looking at adding one, but didn't know if other building owners were? And if ordinances allow them (they should if they don't now)?

Wind Turbines are allowed downtown upon director review! (upto the height limit permitted in that district)

If anyone has questions regarding wind turbines or the possibilities of having one, please feel free to contact Landon Bartley (City Planner) via e-mail at lbartley@grcity.us

#4 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

Wind Turbines are allowed downtown upon director review! (upto the height limit permitted in that district)

If anyone has questions regarding wind turbines or the possibilities of having one, please feel free to contact Landon Bartley (City Planner) via e-mail at lbartley@grcity.us

Thanks Amy!

#5 Quercus

Quercus

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

I'm wondering if the city has any plans for unused, undevelopable plots of land. Specifically, I'm thinking of some of the water retention sites that were built a few years ago to manage the large scale floods that occur every 100-500 years. I know some have proposed uses such as soccer fields, but to my knowledge none of these plans have gone through. The sites I know of are fenced off and mowed regularly during the summer months. Some have trees planted around the perimeter.
Here are some examples that come to mind:

Near Cottage Grove and Jefferson
Posted Image

Near Cottage Grove and Division
Posted Image

Near Plymouth and Hall
Posted Image

I'm sure others can think of such sites near their houses. If these sites are to remain unused, I think it would be neat to turn the soil over and plant native grasses and wildflowers. Although it would take an initial investment to get things going, the sites would no longer need to be maintained. Native species are incredibly hardy and selections could be made to ensure that flooding does not destroy the prairie system. These "urban prairies" would be magnets for birds and insects and perhaps even deer, fox, and turkey if located close enough to waterways. Viewing decks could be constructed on either end giving citizens a chance to walk down the street and go birding.
Picturing something like this...
Posted Image

#6 avanelsacker

avanelsacker

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

I agree with you- this would be great!

I spoke with one of our project engineers who works specifically with water retention sites....
to get a better idea of what is going on with plots of land like these.
First, many of the water retention sites in Grand Rapids are on smaller, privately owned plots, as opposed to large undeveloped city owned land.
In most, if not all, recent development, Retention site owners were encouraged to use native plantings.

Looking at the sites mentioned above, the first is the Silver Creek Drain Basin, and is owned by Kent County.... rather than the city.

The second, near Plymouth and Hall appears to be privately owned.

I will try to get more info on this topic if possible!

#7 Quercus

Quercus

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for looking into this!

#8 Quercus

Quercus

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

I recently attended the design charette for the Butterworth Landfill. I thought there were some great ideas and one of the organizers (blanking on his name at the moment) mentioned that much of the site was already planted with native prairie species. He said that the site is currently mowed once and a while to keep woody species from moving in and that controlled burns could be used in the future to maintain the prairie. Apparently there may be some changes occurring in the city ordinance regarding controlled burns. I found this short blurb on MLive. Does anyone have more information on this such as how far reaching the ordinance would be?
Thanks!

#9 Raildudes dad

Raildudes dad

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

I agree with you- this would be great!

I spoke with one of our project engineers who works specifically with water retention sites....
to get a better idea of what is going on with plots of land like these.
First, many of the water retention sites in Grand Rapids are on smaller, privately owned plots, as opposed to large undeveloped city owned land.
In most, if not all, recent development, Retention site owners were encouraged to use native plantings.

Looking at the sites mentioned above, the first is the Silver Creek Drain Basin, and is owned by Kent County.... rather than the city.

The second, near Plymouth and Hall appears to be privately owned.

I will try to get more info on this topic if possible!

The Plymouth & Hall site is a County Drain detention pond. I'm pretty sure it's on the Silver Creek Drain also. (Not at work to look it up)

#10 avanelsacker

avanelsacker

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

I recently attended the design charette for the Butterworth Landfill. I thought there were some great ideas and one of the organizers (blanking on his name at the moment) mentioned that much of the site was already planted with native prairie species. He said that the site is currently mowed once and a while to keep woody species from moving in and that controlled burns could be used in the future to maintain the prairie. Apparently there may be some changes occurring in the city ordinance regarding controlled burns. I found this short blurb on MLive. Does anyone have more information on this such as how far reaching the ordinance would be?
Thanks!

I know that to date, there is still no open burning in the City of GR. There may be some talk about commercial burning..... I am looking into this more and will hopefully have more details by tomorrow!

#11 fotoman311

fotoman311

Burg

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

I know that to date, there is still no open burning in the City of GR. There may be some talk about commercial burning..... I am looking into this more and will hopefully have more details by tomorrow!

Tonight the City Commission passed an Ordinance to amend to the city ordinance on Air Pollution Control to create "an exemption from the ban on open burning to allow prescribed burns." Although I have not read the new ordinance, it was stated that there must be a prescribed burn plan approved by the Fire Dept. (and possibly someone else?) before the prescribed burn can take place.

#12 avanelsacker

avanelsacker

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

Green Gathering: Actions is Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at Harrison Park Elementary School from 6:30 to 8:30pm. Please park and use the Muskegon Street entrance.

Plan conecpts that capture the public's input will begin to create a vision for what an implemented plan would look like. Five special study areas, including the Grand River, Butterworth Landfill, 201 Market, Joe Taylor Park, and Ball-Perkins Park will integrate the community's ideas into a series of achievable plans. Citizens will be asked to identify partnering opportunities and funding strategies and to prioritize the City's work plan.

If you are unable to attend Green Gathering: Actions, please look for our "Actions Priorities" survey at www.greengrandrapids.usPosted Image

#13 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

Parts of Allegan County have been identified as one of four regions in the state with the most potential to harvest wind energy.

As it says in the article, the state's Wind Energy Resource Zone Board will be holding hearings and issuing a final report in October.

Apparently local governments have until Aug. 4th to respond. I wonder how Allegan County feels about wind turbines on its landscape.

#14 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

I guess this should go here. A look at the new recycling stations scattered around DT (this is by Bridge St in the park near the Ford Museum).

Posted Image

#15 Parhelion

Parhelion

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

The new recycling bins are fantastic! I can't wait for them to go on Monroe Center and Rosa Parks Circle.

#16 avanelsacker

avanelsacker

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Green Gathering: Call to Action
Wednesday, October 21st, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Creston High
-What we have done so far; Overview of the Green Grand Rapids process, where we are/how we got here
-Where we are going from here; What's next!
-How can you get involved; meet partners/champion groups, find out how you can help!

Green Grand Rapids Partner/Champion organizations will be joining us at Green Gathering: Call to Action to introduce their group and tell us about what they are doing and how YOU can help!
-Friends of GR Parks
-WMEAC
-WMMBA
-Fulton Street Farmers Market
-Grand River groups including GRWW
-GGRBC