Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

WOODTV thinks that all the new condos downtown are a "drag" on downtown's reputation?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

Apparently WOODTV and Joe LaFurgey have now adopted the stance that "yet to be sold" condos downtown are a DRAG on downtown's reputation.

http://www.woodtv.co...rag_on_downtown

Apparently a multitude of surface parking lots, unused old buildings (YMCA), and reporting non-news items are all keys to downtown's success. :blink:

Is this costing the city money? Taxpayers' dollars? Out of pocket for poor Joe LaFurgey? Sorry kids, no presents this year. Icon on Bond has not met sales goals. What lunacy.

Do they not understand that eventually these buildings will be filled with new residents downtown?

#2 Rizzo

Rizzo

City

• Members+
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

Joe LaFurgey says, "The million dollar question is: when will this economy come back? That's anybody's guess." Meanwhile the camera pans to LaFurgey with the booming Medical Mile in the back drop. :lol:

Edited by Rizzo, 05 December 2008 - 01:13 PM.

#3 GRapcity

GRapcity

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

I'd rather have empty condo's with SOME people in them than no condo's and people wanting them. Infill doesn't happen over night. Perhaps Joe forgot about the economy and all the people who would be living in condos downtown if thier suburban homes would sell. Tell him to go find us some retailers to move downtown and work out some of the real issues...

#4 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Well, if there is a problem filling these places, then lease them as rentals.

Icon on Bond would be filled in a few months easily.

#5 Khorasaurus

Khorasaurus

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

Isn't Icon trying to rent units right now? How is that going?

Edited by Khorasaurus, 05 December 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#6 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

Isn't Icon trying to rent units right now? How is that going?

It would be probably hard to tell, as they don't show up as "closed" units in county records (because they are still owned by the development company). I've seen more and more lights on in units, and furniture on patios lately.

It's just so bizarre. Of course empty condo units isn't a great situation, but it's not like the buildings are blighted on the outside and not being maintained. No boarded windows as far as I can tell. Contractors are being paid, as far as I know. No one is being sued. Where is WOODTV serving the public good in all this? They should do a story on condo towers in Miami, San Diego, Vegas and other parts of the country, which are sitting HALF BUILT with no idea when construction will start again, multiple layers of lawsuits, developers walking away with tax dollars, etc.. And with condo owners sitting high and dry with nothing, nada, zilch.

Here's a better question: Is WOODTV's obsession with perceived failure bad for GR's reputation? Is it rendering them irrelevant in a rapidly changing media environment? Are they scaring away potential businesses and investors interested in Grand Rapids?

#7 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

Exactly.

The downtown respectable rentals market is sorely lacking.

#8 GaryP

GaryP

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

Contractors are being paid, as far as I know.

Everyone took a little hair cut

#9 Par75

Par75

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

Doing a story about the difficulty selling downtown condos right now is probably a legitimate story for a local news outlet, but I don't understand their point on it being a drag to downtown. They ask the question in the title and then bring it up in the story, yet they never really explain why. It's not like these condos were at one point filled and now sit empty, causing downtown retailers and restaurants to suffer. These are brand new condos that are taking time to fill. Sure it'd be a benefit to downtown if the condos were 95% occupied, but I don't see how new, empty condos are dragging the area down.

As usual, the comments following the story are quite amusing too.

Edited by Par75, 05 December 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#10 arcturus

arcturus

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

Taking issue with the media only legitimizes their reporting. I have confidence that most people in this area are smart enough to take anything they report with a healthy grain of salt.

#11 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Apparently WOODTV and Joe LaFurgey have now adopted the stance that "yet to be sold" condos downtown are a DRAG on downtown's reputation.

I just don't understand where this hypothesis even comes from. It just seems like a ridiculous statement.

#12 Prankster

Prankster

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

It seems to me that all of the empty storefronts and lack of "real" retail drags down on the perception of downtown more than empty condos. At least with the condos, they are not visible from the street.

#13 Quercus

Quercus

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Yet another reason why I don't watch WOODTV 8. They're too fricken intense and they jump on any opportunity to make the city seem like an unsafe, inconvenient place to live. Why don't they do a story on how the hard economic times have slowed sprawling developments that have been killing GR for decades? More condos and other living spaces downtown increase the chances of preserving Fruit Ridge and other farmland.

#14 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Joe LaFurgey says, "The million dollar question is: when will this economy come back? That's anybody's guess." Meanwhile the camera pans to LaFurgey with the booming Medical Mile in the back drop. :lol:

Ha, you're totally right. I also thought that there's now way he could hit Icon with a snowball. :P

Chris gives a much more accurate picture:

http://blog.mlive.co...n_are.html#more

Apparently if you aren't hostile to businesses and developers, and don't totally quote them out of context, they tend to open up and give you more information.

#15 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,038 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

WOODTV is apparently facing an economic recession of their own:

http://www.mlive.com...s....xml&coll=6

#16 d59

d59

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

WOODTV is apparently facing an economic recession of their own:

http://www.mlive.com...s....xml&coll=6

The Empire State Building was built at the beginning of the "Great Depression" and it went empty for years. Now it's one of the hottest addresses in New York.

Edited by d59, 06 December 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#17 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,038 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

The Empire State Building was built at the beginning of the "Great Depression" and it went empty for years. Now it's one of the hottest addresses in New York.

You're right. It had the nickname "Empty State Building". I'm sure people at the time thought it was hurting NY's reputation.

#18 PR-15

PR-15

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

With property values decreasing and interest rates possibly going to historic lows very soon there may be some developers in an aggressive mood. I'd like to see the wealthy take some unusual (or unconventional) risks....and hang tight for a few years to pick the fruit.

#19 jwazzz

jwazzz

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

It would be probably hard to tell, as they don't show up as "closed" units in county records (because they are still owned by the development company). I've seen more and more lights on in units, and furniture on patios lately.

It's just so bizarre. Of course empty condo units isn't a great situation, but it's not like the buildings are blighted on the outside and not being maintained. No boarded windows as far as I can tell. Contractors are being paid, as far as I know. No one is being sued. Where is WOODTV serving the public good in all this? They should do a story on condo towers in Miami, San Diego, Vegas and other parts of the country, which are sitting HALF BUILT with no idea when construction will start again, multiple layers of lawsuits, developers walking away with tax dollars, etc.. And with condo owners sitting high and dry with nothing, nada, zilch.

Here's a better question: Is WOODTV's obsession with perceived failure bad for GR's reputation? Is it rendering them irrelevant in a rapidly changing media environment? Are they scaring away potential businesses and investors interested in Grand Rapids?

I agree - both WOOD and the Press are becoming more and more irrelevant, thus the need to be digging up "dirt". It's unfortunate because if there was ever a time that we needed our media to be presenting positive images of GR, it's certainly now.

#20 crinzema

crinzema

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I have a few questions for you guys.
  • If you had to choose between WOODTV 8, Fox 17, WZZM 13, or News 3 which would it be and why?
  • Will the internet, including mlive, be the successor to all of them putting old media to bed? That's my slant, sorry. To put it more fairly, will we see local news stations on TV survive for much longer?
  • Why do we have so many local news stations. 4 if you include News 3 in Kal.

Edited by crinzema, 07 December 2008 - 11:54 AM.