Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

$4.00 Gas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 skirby

skirby

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

On Tuesday Rick Wagoner, CEO of General Motors, called for the government to set up a tax to increase the price of gas to $4.00 per gallon. He sees it as a way to force people to buy GM's more expensive hybrid and soon to come electric cars. This is not the first call for this tax. I wonder if the people calling for the tax would favor all additional tax money should go to fund public transit?

Do you think Arkansas is setting up itself for hard times by stressing continued road construction over public transit?

What about the metro Little Rock area? I don't see any push to get behind public transit myself?

#2 EJC

EJC

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

On Tuesday Rick Wagoner, CEO of General Motors, called for the government to set up a tax to increase the price of gas to $4.00 per gallon. He sees it as a way to force people to buy GM's more expensive hybrid and soon to come electric cars. This is not the first call for this tax. I wonder if the people calling for the tax would favor all additional tax money should go to fund public transit?

Do you think Arkansas is setting up itself for hard times by stressing continued road construction over public transit?

What about the metro Little Rock area? I don't see any push to get behind public transit myself?

I don't know about all of it for public transit, but if I were involved in a tax on gas (energy), I'd expect a huge portion of it to go towards a "better" energy source. Electric cars are fine and all, but they don't support long distance travel, which is a significant aspect that must be resolved with any future energy source. So, I'd expect that any tax on fuel would be spent on finding that next renewable energy source that can be distributed and refilled in a manner similar to that of oil.