Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

New downtown federal courthouse

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 erm1981

erm1981

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

That area would definitely be a great area for the new court house. The palmetto bank building turned out great also. I remember when we built that building....time flies.

#62 Greenville

Greenville

City

• Members+
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

This pictures illustrates what a waste of land that huge surface lot is. I can't wait for it to be developed more densely. Too bad we have to wait three freakin' years before construction begins!
  • Urban Infill likes this

#63 RiverWalker

RiverWalker

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:32 AM

This pictures illustrates what a waste of land that huge surface lot is. I can't wait for it to be developed more densely. Too bad we have to wait three freakin' years before construction begins!

I couldn't agree more!

#64 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

This was issued April 20th: https://www.fbo.gov/...nnouncement.pdf Thought you guys might find it interesting.

Third on the list for 2013: http://www.gsa.gov/g...Y_2012-2016.pdf

Edited by citylife, 22 April 2011 - 02:19 AM.

#65 Greenville

Greenville

City

• Members+
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

This was issued April 20th: https://www.fbo.gov/...nnouncement.pdf Thought you guys might find it interesting.

Third on the list for 2013: http://www.gsa.gov/g...Y_2012-2016.pdf

"...its design should reflect the dignity, enterprise, vigor and stability of the Federal Government." LOL! :rolleyes:

On the plus side, hopefully that means the design will be inspirational and not mundane. Glad to see that it will be LEED Gold. :thumbsup:

#66 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Just another reason why this project won't get built anytime soon: http://www.cnn.com/2...igns/index.html

#67 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I just hope that this doesn't tie up any of the previously proposed sites from redevelopment if a decent proposal came along...

#68 cityboi

cityboi

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Has the federal government started funding courthouses again? A 15 to 18 story federal courthouse was planned for Greensboro six or seven years ago but was put on hold because the Bush administration diverted funds to the Iraq war.

#69 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I just hope that this doesn't tie up any of the previously proposed sites from redevelopment if a decent proposal came along...

I don't see the connection between the LV fiasco and courthouse funding. It's GSA, but the two funding sources are I'm sure different.

The Feds have already closed on the courthouse site, so it won't hold up anything.

#70 mallguy

mallguy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Has the federal government started funding courthouses again? A 15 to 18 story federal courthouse was planned for Greensboro six or seven years ago but was put on hold because the Bush administration diverted funds to the Iraq war.

That is a false statement. Construction budgets for courthouses are available through the link below. The Bush administration INCREASED funding for construction of Federal courthouses following 9/11, and for years afterwards.

http://www.justice.gov/about/bpp.htm

#71 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

The Feds have already closed on the courthouse site, so it won't hold up anything.

I didn't know they had bought the property. So is the GSA making money off of whoever is parking there in the meantime? I just knew that the site was endorsed by the City.

#72 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

FY 2014. $80 million: http://www.gsa.gov/g...lan_FY13_17.pdf I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by citylife, 02 April 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#73 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

This is an interesting discussion. We have the exact same situation here in Charlotte- a site has been selected and we are just waiting on something to happen. The federal government understands the concept of investing in a quality building that will last for a long, long time.

In the thread in the Charlotte forum, people have compiled images of recently built or newly planned federal courthouses. It's definitely worth your time to check this thread out. Here's the link. I think we can all assume that the building will be of good quality, and it will be considered an asset to Greenville and it's skyline.

#74 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Construction slated for FY 2014: http://www.gsa.gov/g...lan_FY13_17.pdf I'll believe it when I see it.

Edit: whoops. Didn't realize I posted this last year until now.

Edited by gman430, 27 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#75 ausrutherford

ausrutherford

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Was there ever a rendering for this?

#76 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I've heard 7 stories is likely. At 7 stories, do they seriously need more land??? I'm not happy about this, especially since it involves one of of our more intimate streets: Coffee Street. 

I could care less about the height, but don't just consume land for the Hell of it. I, personally, think an entire City block is enough land for a Federal Courthouse. Architects are smart. Make them figure out how to make it fit and work, don't buy more space.  :stop:

Edited by GvilleSC, 27 January 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#77 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Honestly, I have no problem with a seven story (personally I heard eleven stories) federal courthouse going on a site that consists of nothing but a huge parking lot and drive up ATM currently. Yeah, the plans for the courthouse could be cancelled and we could all hope for a mixed use development on site but there is no guarantee of that ever happening.

#78 ausrutherford

ausrutherford

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

The courthouse could actually spur further development. Those lawyers need places to live after all.

I dont see how did is a bad location anyway. The county courthouse is across the road. its the natural place for it.

#79 Skyliner

Skyliner

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

"Those lawyers" (and judges) live in large custom homes elsewhere around town and in the suburbs.

#80 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

I've heard 7 stories is likely. At 7 stories, do they seriously need more land??? I'm not happy about this, especially since it involves one of of our more intimate streets: Coffee Street. 

I could care less about the height, but don't just consume land for the Hell of it. I, personally, think an entire City block is enough land for a Federal Courthouse. Architects are smart. Make them figure out how to make it fit and work, don't buy more space.  :stop:

The Spring-irvine-Coffee-North block is a narrow block to begin with, so this isn't that surprising.  The Wells Fargo branch is not adding anything to the ambience of Coffee Street.  If done right, architecturally, this could enhance Coffee St.  The Athens-Clarke GA County Courthouse would be a good model to follow.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users