Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

New apartments planned for historic Century Furniture Factory

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

The furniture industry is such an important part of GR's history; I'd love to see as many of these buildings preserved as possible. I hope this project goes through and we see many similar re-uses of these types of structures! Take a look at the area around this big guy - there is plenty of space for "cool, fresh" projects to be built.

The GR condo market seems a bit saturated but I think we could use more apartments.

Well said. In that area S.O.W., there's probably at least 1.5 Million square feet of old industrial space that could see new life some day. I don't think there's any way 1.5 Million in new residential construction could be built in Grand Rapids any time soon (20 years at least). And there are vacant lots scattered around these buildings that could be infilled with new construction. In fact, there's a vacant lot between the Century and the Klingman Buildings.

Those buildings are a gift and an asset, especially so close to downtown, that many other cities would kill to have.

There are a lot of ways to dress up old warehouses:

Posted Image

#22 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

This would be fantastic. This building has a lot of loft potential and would be a good addition to all of the growth in the area. The only negative is it seems a bit isolated by the wealthy street bridge to the north, and 131 to the east.

Joe

#23 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

HDC Companies out of Ann Arbor is seeking tax credits and MSHDA funds for the renovation. The plan is for one or two bedroom apartments, 90 in total.

http://www.mlive.com...siness_man.html

Edited by Gorath, 21 April 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#24 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

Ping. Looks like this building is getting its historic designation, which will allow the developers to seek historic preservation tax credits.

#25 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Good news. Anyone know if the developers are optimistic on the chances of this going through? It's a great old building and would be a nice addition to that side of town (plus, it is within stumbling distance to Founders :).

Joe

#26 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Good news. Anyone know if the developers are optimistic on the chances of this going through? It's a great old building and would be a nice addition to that side of town (plus, it is within stumbling distance to Founders :). Joe

I think now that the urban market is a go, that has triggered this project to move forward (as well as Wealthy Jefferson). I think people are foreseeing another boom of development in that area around Wealthy and Jefferson. Available land, available old buildings, highway access, transit, etc..

I'd give it a pretty good shot.

#27 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

ping

#28 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

New apartments would be nice. I guess the easiest way to make that part of downtown better is one building at a time!

#29 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

#30 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ok, GRDad, are you just messing with us? What's the scoop? :)

Joe

#31 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ok, GRDad, are you just messing with us? What's the scoop? :)

Joe

Tomorrow. I don't want MLive to scoop it (like usual).

#32 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Posted Image

Well something is happening. I see dumpster. I see porta-potty And the real clue, I see missing windows.

#33 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just a little digging and I now know who the GC is. That the building is to be fully renovated. And there will be a new, um, type of addition. I still don't know what the use is. I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow for the details.

#34 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Just a little digging and I now know who the GC is. That the building is to be fully renovated. And there will be a new, um, type of addition. I still don't know what the use is. I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow for the details.

I hadn't heard about the addition. The project is (obviously) moving forward. 43 apartments in the first phase, 44 in the second along with 15,000 sf of commercial space on the ground floor. Rockford is the GC. Project is funded in part with LIHTC's and HPTC's, which means there will be income restrictions.

It is good that it's the first real sign of development to go along with the Urban Market, and it's the first large scale (125,000 sf) residential renovation in about 5 or 6 years downtown.

It also has a new name.

#35 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

The addition I was referring to is a precast parking deck.

#36 fotoman311

fotoman311

Burg

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Here's Jeff's scoop:
http://www.rapidgrow...BakerLofts.aspx

#37 metrogrkid

metrogrkid

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

I came in from the kitchen to the living room and caught the tail-end of WOOD TV-8 Anchor Susan Shaw talking about "former Baker Furniture Building near new Downtown Urban Market being developed into new downtown housing" . . . . . I AM PISSED THAT I CAUGHT THE TAIL-END OF THAT AND NOW CANNOT FIND IT MENTIONED ANYWHERE - even on the WOOD TV-8 SITE <ARGGGHHH>!!!! If anyone can dig this up, it is the UP-GR community. GET TO DIGGIN! That is a HUGE building and will essentially create a brand new unprecedented neighborhood for the SouthGate area of downtown! WOW!

Edited by metrogrkid, 19 September 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#38 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

The Baker Furniture building is also known as the Century Furniture Factory or Baker Lofts or 50 Logan and there is a thread here about it.

http://www.urbanplan...niture-factory/

Here is the most recent news on the project http://www.rapidgrow...BakerLofts.aspx

Edited by Gorath, 19 September 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#39 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

"Hey!! We're WOODTV and we're 3 years late to the party!! But we brought Jagermeister!! Wooooo!!!!"

Sigh.

#40 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

The official ground breaking ceremony is set for Monday.

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users