Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Southend Living

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#221 ah59396

ah59396

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Price's made the top eight. You can vote online now. It'd be nice to see Charlotte win this one!

http://www.esquire.c...3e51bd2a174fceb
  • Temeteron likes this

#222 ScottCLT

ScottCLT

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

My wife and I went to All American Pub tonight. Despite the generic-sounding name, it was pretty awesome. The interior nice - tons of TVs, some of which I swear were 70"+. It was very clean and spacious - it felt new, but not too new. Food was great - we had the Fried Pepper Jack Sticks (which were honestly the best cheese sticks I have ever had - spicy, seemingly hand-breaded, and with a great marinara for dipping), a Philly Cheesesteak (very good, not great), and the Drunken Fiery Burger (which included beer cheese and deep-fried jalapenos, and my wife absolutely loved). Great draft beer selection including specials tonight on NC drafts for $3.00. The place was very busy - it apparently has already become a neighborhood hangout. An for a good reason - great food, great beer, great atmosphere. Loved it, and it will become a regular spot for us.

#223 nonillogical

nonillogical

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

^ Nice! I really want to see another space oriented to the lightrail instead of a street be able to succeed. That cajun place in Circle on the other side may come to depend on that symbiotic relationship actually (which incidentally has signage up, but the interior still looks a long ways from opening).

Anyway this is a much better fit than the short-lived Lux was, although I thought Gillians before it was a cool concept that should have worked out better than it did.

#224 ScottCLT

ScottCLT

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

All American Pub only took up maybe 1/3 the space, and there are still other entrances that are unoccupied. So it would be nice to see the rest of the Jillians building was split up into a few other little neighborhood joints facing the tracks, too. This could maybe turn into a stretch of 4 or 5 bars/restaurants in a row. Then add Amos', Gin Mill, and Tavern on the Tracks, Bite Your Tongue, and World of Beer and you've got yourself a little dining/nightlife district!

#225 Temeteron

Temeteron

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

All American Pub only took up maybe 1/3 the space, and there are still other entrances that are unoccupied. So it would be nice to see the rest of the Jillians building was split up into a few other little neighborhood joints facing the tracks, too. This could maybe turn into a stretch of 4 or 5 bars/restaurants in a row. Then add Amos', Gin Mill, and Tavern on the Tracks, Bite Your Tongue, and World of Beer and you've got yourself a little dining/nightlife district!

You forgot the Crepe place :)

#226 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Bottleshop / specialty beer store is comming to South and Remount (beside the Canine cafe)

http://southendclt.c...g-in-south-end/

#227 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Sweet Loraines bakery is now open at East and Cleveland.

#228 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Bite Your Tounge (back side of Circle at Bland St Station) looks to be _almost_ ready to open. Looking in the window today revealed people eating and (based on appearances) staff training. Any day now I would guess.

#229 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

An exterior sign says bite your tounge opens Monday. God speed to those of you with steelyer palettes than mine

#230 nonillogical

nonillogical

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

^ I like how their website says opening August 20, 2010

Anyway the menu sounds solid and affordable. Looking forward to this especially for lunch.

#231 ScottCLT

ScottCLT

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

^I didn't realize it at first, but this place actually is not new...it just moved. It used to be a takeout joint over by Midtown Medical Plaza. Good reviews on Yelp, though!

#232 SouthEndCLT811

SouthEndCLT811

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Bite Your Tounge did a food tasting for those of us who live in Post South End. Very good jambalaya and bread pudding. Look forward to trying other dishes off their menu.
  • dubone likes this

#233 Prodev

Prodev

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Did Club Tan on South & Worthington close? I usually only notice it in the am which would be before they open but it's looking neglected these days with the grass getting to about a foot long and with the road being torn up on Worthington (not their doing, obviously). Basic internet search didn't turn up anything.

#234 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Nova's Bakery (?) in the old Laurel Market South space is now open.

Bite your tounge has outside seating.

Tripple C has been very busy the three times I have been in. Can't say I love their beer however.

#235 Matthew.Brendan

Matthew.Brendan

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I was sad to see Laurel Market go, it was a great deli. At least we have a fine replacement in Nova's bakery.

#236 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sweet Loraines bakery is now open at East and Cleveland.

I am not getting the sense that Sweet Loraines is catching on with folks in the neighborgood. That is really a shame since establishing an interesting an active pedestrain corridor between Dilworth (300 East, Paper skyscraper, Thai Taste etc.) and E/W Station along East blvd would make a BIG difference to neighborhood activity and (eventually) lynx ridership.

That church on the corner of South and East and Texaco, along with the small scale office space are really limiting pedestrian activity (IMO).

EDIT: I do think that an additional bikeshare station down around East and Kennilworth would go a long way towards generating pedestrian and bike activity between Dilworth and Southend / LRT. (I do recognize that this is a flip suggestion given the not insubstantial costs of a new station and the significant need for more stations throughout town).

Honestly, in a money is no object world, the thing I would most like to see would be a streetcar down East blvd....

Edited by kermit, 09 September 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#237 nonillogical

nonillogical

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I am not getting the sense that Sweet Loraines is catching on with folks in the neighborgood. That is really a shame since establishing an interesting an active pedestrain corridor between Dilworth (300 East, Paper skyscraper, Thai Taste etc.) and E/W Station along East blvd would make a BIG difference to neighborhood activity and (eventually) lynx ridership.

That church on the corner of South and East and Texaco, along with the small scale office space are really limiting pedestrian activity (IMO).

I always see SOME people in there, but yeah its never packed. I'm afraid that the neighborhood can't support both it and Nova's. I think it could actually find a more stable position as more of a coffee shop if they were willing to rebrand a little. It might take a while longer but I have high hopes for this row of spaces getting good lasting retail tenants eventually. The fortune teller next to Thai Taste went out of business so that one is available now...

#238 southslider

southslider

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

We walked to Lorraine's yesterday afternoon (from Plaza-Midwood even, via Independence Park, the Greenway, CMC and Latta Park, enjoying the gorgeous day). While briefly there on our walking break, the place had decent business for a Sunday. My partner and I had two different desserts to share. A group of ladies each had some desserts, and another couple got items to go.
  • dubone likes this

#239 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Did Club Tan on South & Worthington close? I usually only notice it in the am which would be before they open but it's looking neglected these days with the grass getting to about a foot long and with the road being torn up on Worthington (not their doing, obviously). Basic internet search didn't turn up anything.

Its still open (and still a blight)

#240 SouthEndCLT811

SouthEndCLT811

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Just saw on twitter that Good Bottle is planning to open October 12th. Can't wait for that little strip to fill out. Penn Station and Good Bottle are going to wreak havoc on my waistline :dontknow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users