-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#101 barakat

barakat

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

This rendering was posted with the latest wkrn.com story about the medical mart. Is that the new look?

http://wkrn.images.w...7041770_BG2.jpg

#102 barakat

barakat

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Never mind; I believe that's a pic of the Cleveland mart.

#103 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

City

• Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have had numerous conversations with William about this project and we believe if there is no movement here in the next 6 months this is DOA. They had better get their act together if they are going to open in time for the new schedule they have posted. My thoughts were this on Saturday is that they work with the Renaissance Hotel and add suites and additional meeting space for the hotel and share some of the cost, thus making it easier to finance. One plan that John had mentioned that the owners of the hotel had several years ago was to add 8 floors of Suites atop the CC. If they partner this would get off the ground.

#104 MTSUBlueraider86

MTSUBlueraider86

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

The plan was 12 stories of luxury suites on top of the current convention center and razing the James Robertson for a parking garage. The hotel only has one floor in the Library garage for valet parking. That is all the hotel offers. If you want to self park, you are on your own. Traditionally the Library lets hotel guests park on the second floor only. The third was strictly for library guests and the fourth was for Renaissance Tower employees.

#105 fieldmarshaldj

fieldmarshaldj

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

^Oh, no ! I hope the James Robertson isn't razed. I believe that is the last remaining Art Deco "high rise" left in the city. It would make a nice boutique hotel if only the right folks could purchase and convert it.

#106 Nathan_in_DC

Nathan_in_DC

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Location:Nashville, DC or Philadelphia, depending on the day

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have had numerous conversations with William about this project and we believe if there is no movement here in the next 6 months this is DOA. They had better get their act together if they are going to open in time for the new schedule they have posted.

I'm afraid it'll be a shorter timeline than this even. They've had a while now to get things moving, but they seem to have very little in the line of publicity or even public support for it.

And is this really even feasible? The era of the showroom is coming to a close, I'm afraid, and this may very soon be a very expensive anachronism. Are doctors and medical professionals really going to flock from all over the country to see fixed setups from medical companies at a location such as this, as opposed to your standard convention and trade shows?

Correct me if I'm looking at this in the entirely wrong way.

#107 MTSUBlueraider86

MTSUBlueraider86

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

To much is available on the internet. Unless you have to feel it and touch it, why the need? If 100 people make hospital beds, are all 100 of them going to be in the medical mart?

There is a reason NYC pulled the plug on this...it won't work.

#108 Nathan_in_DC

Nathan_in_DC

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Not to mention that the name just seems silly to me. I know there's the whole Merchandise Mart landmark thing in Chicago, but if this opens, every time I walk by I won't be able to think of anything other than a cut-rate walker and motorized wheel chair dealer (think: the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has to buy the wheel chair). Wal-Mart and K-Mart have completely ruined the connotations of that particular contraction of Market for me.

#109 jice

jice

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Not to mention that the name just seems silly to me. I know there's the whole Merchandise Mart landmark thing in Chicago, but if this opens, every time I walk by I won't be able to think of anything other than a cut-rate walker and motorized wheel chair dealer (think: the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has to buy the wheel chair). Wal-Mart and K-Mart have completely ruined the connotations of that particular contraction of Market for me.

Ha! So true.. I guess that's why this one is actually a 'trade center'

#110 samsonh

samsonh

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hate to say I was right again but:

http://www.bizjourna...ead-in-the.html

#111 nashvylle

nashvylle

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

someone not involved in the project saying he thinks it's dead in the water doesn't make it dead. However I do agree with you that I don't think it's going to happen.

#112 Nathan_in_DC

Nathan_in_DC

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

I would be very surprised if this was NOT dead in the water. As I stated before, it would quickly become a very expensive anachronism if it was ever constructed.

#113 chris holman

chris holman

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

What I saw on news channel 5 last night that the project is still a go . It's 40% leased, still waiting in till it's 60% for construction to begin.

#114 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

What I saw on news channel 5 last night that the project is still a go . It's 40% leased, still waiting in till it's 60% for construction to begin.

Hasn't it been at 40% for quite awhile though?

#115 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

City

• Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

There will be a story on this, this week in the cp or the NP according to WW.

#116 Nathan_in_DC

Nathan_in_DC

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hmm, interesting in seeing what new news is to be had on this. Any idea if it's an announcement that it's going forward? Or being cancelled?

#117 producer2

producer2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

There is another plan in discussion. I am not at liberty to detail right now.

#118 UTgrad09

UTgrad09

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

This rendering was posted with the latest wkrn.com story about the medical mart. Is that the new look?

http://wkrn.images.w...7041770_BG2.jpg

Sadly, that's Cleveland's....not a good job with research on Channel 2's part.

#119 nashvylle

nashvylle

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Take it with a grain of salt. Hope it happens.

http://www.bizjourna...optomistic.html

#120 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

City

• Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Well I haev heard the same thing and theat the guy who said it was dead may have other motives by saying it was dead/ Only time will well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users