Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Infill projects in downtown Fayetteville

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 mzweig

mzweig

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

I have a new project that I am working on. It is 15 N. Church St.-- the former home of 40/29 and before that, Ozarks Electric Warehouse. My plan is to completely redo the building and turn it into 8 condos ranging from a little over 500 sq. ft. to around 1300 sq feet at largest. Would also carve a lot/yard off and build a new house on locust, as the property goes clear thru from Church to Locust. I have the property under contract. Have not closed yet. Plan on closing mid-August if all goes well.

Everyone thinks condos are crazy, but in my opinion the ones for sale have been either poorly-designed, too expensive, in the wrong location, or some combination of all of those. I am designing this project with a lot of help from local architect, Jim Key, who also did the conversion of the derelict Curry's Video building into the Skatetorium-- what i considered to be a real transformation of a turd into something quite nice (tho I desperately want to see the owners cut down the horrible weeds sprouting all around it!)

Mark

#22 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

I have a new project that I am working on. It is 15 N. Church St.-- the former home of 40/29 and before that, Ozarks Electric Warehouse. My plan is to completely redo the building and turn it into 8 condos ranging from a little over 500 sq. ft. to around 1300 sq feet at largest. Would also carve a lot/yard off and build a new house on locust, as the property goes clear thru from Church to Locust. I have the property under contract. Have not closed yet. Plan on closing mid-August if all goes well.

Everyone thinks condos are crazy, but in my opinion the ones for sale have been either poorly-designed, too expensive, in the wrong location, or some combination of all of those. I am designing this project with a lot of help from local architect, Jim Key, who also did the conversion of the derelict Curry's Video building into the Skatetorium-- what i considered to be a real transformation of a turd into something quite nice (tho I desperately want to see the owners cut down the horrible weeds sprouting all around it!)

Mark

Sounds great. I"m curious to see how this project comes out. I also agree with you. I think there is still some demand for condos. But as you already mentioned. Most of what's out there mainly caters to only a specific portion of the population. I certainly hope you do well with this project. Not just because I like to see you do well in general. But these are the type of projects I like to see happen here.

#23 mzweig

mzweig

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Sounds great. I"m curious to see how this project comes out. I also agree with you. I think there is still some demand for condos. But as you already mentioned. Most of what's out there mainly caters to only a specific portion of the population. I certainly hope you do well with this project. Not just because I like to see you do well in general. But these are the type of projects I like to see happen here.

Thanks, Rod. I predict that soon there will be a rental housing shortage in the downtown/campus area that will spread to a shortage of properties for sale. Student population is growing and some portion of executive transferees are going to be reluctant to buy....

Mark

#24 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Dickson Street Liquor has broken ground on a project that will expand their building and add a condo up top. There's a sign with a rendering down there at the site if anybody happens to get by with a decent camera.

#25 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Dickson Street Liquor has broken ground on a project that will expand their building and add a condo up top. There's a sign with a rendering down there at the site if anybody happens to get by with a decent camera.

Thanks for the info. I had been by that area a while back and noticed it looked like they were preparing for some sort of construction. But I had no idea on what it was exactly. While expanding the store isn't that big of a surprise to me, the condo is. Maybe this weekend I can try to swing by, unless someone else beats me to it.

#26 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I ended up being sick over the weekend so I didn't get out to take any pics. But I did drive by the site on Dickson St. I saw the signs but didn't get a great look while driving.

#27 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

Check it out:

Attached Thumbnails

• dickson liquor.jpg

#28 mzweig

mzweig

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Check it out:

I heard Albert Skiles designed this. Putting that box right next to the existing struture with its extreme roof pitch dumping water right next to it is typical of something Skiles would do. Not a good idea in my opinion.

#29 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

I was looking at Modus Studio's website to see if I could find some more info on the 555 Maple project when I came across something called Collier Plaza. Looks like this could be some sort of possible resurrection of the St Charles Plaza idea from a few years ago. Has anyone heard anything about this? Here's a link to their website.

http://www.modusstud.../collier-place/

And an example of one of the renderings of their website.

Posted Image

#30 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

OMG. I mean wow. Fayetteville is about to become the best college town around. If all of these Modus projects get built, and a few more developments happen, how amazing is the downtown area going to be? I can't even imagine this.

#31 thewizard16

thewizard16

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

OMG. I mean wow. Fayetteville is about to become the best college town around. If all of these Modus projects get built, and a few more developments happen, how amazing is the downtown area going to be? I can't even imagine this.

I think it already is, of course, but these kinds of downtown projects that have started sprouting up are very impressive and will certainly enhance the feel of the overall downtown area. Very impressed with the direction things are headed in downtown Fayetteville, the pace of development is impressive.

#32 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I believe there is a new cottage development coming where the "Narrow Escapes" building was supposed to go. Its right alongside the train tracks, at Frisco Avenue. This is a block NW of Wilson Park, south of North Street.

#33 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I believe there is a new cottage development coming where the "Narrow Escapes" building was supposed to go. Its right alongside the train tracks, at Frisco Avenue. This is a block NW of Wilson Park, south of North Street.

Seems like I've been hearing a lot about a number of cottage developments. I'm curious to see one of these completed to see what they're like.

#34 mzweig

mzweig

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Seems like I've been hearing a lot about a number of cottage developments. I'm curious to see one of these completed to see what they're like.

I know I'm the critic but I just hope whatever goes up has the right architectural details. I am damn sick of "cottages" and "bungalows" that have the wrong windows (no muntins or wrong muntin pattern), wrong doors, wrong siding, wrong proportions, wrong window locations, bad rooflines, wacky columns (I've seen a lot of that lately), ugly paving, bad landscaping, wrong light fixtures, etc.

Do something good--not a crappy characature of it!

Mark

#35 mzweig

mzweig

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Guys--the mega student housing projects we have going in on "Crazy Eric's Corner" and in and around Maple and Lafayette are going to be transformational.  I cannot believe all the concrete--wow!  These are going to be some real buildings.  The effect of all these added people living in the downtown area will have to be a good one for our businesses in and around Dickson and The Square.  It's pretty amazing really that these developers are taking the kinds of risks they are but God bless 'em!  We are going to be a real city before long.  Mark

#36 aerotive

aerotive

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Guys--the mega student housing projects we have going in on "Crazy Eric's Corner" and in and around Maple and Lafayette are going to be transformational.  I cannot believe all the concrete--wow!  These are going to be some real buildings.  The effect of all these added people living in the downtown area will have to be a good one for our businesses in and around Dickson and The Square.  It's pretty amazing really that these developers are taking the kinds of risks they are but God bless 'em!  We are going to be a real city before long.  Mark

I don't know about transformational but it will be a big change...btw do you--or anyone else know--if it's really ~ 650 apartments in that place?  I think it must be bedrooms, doesn't seem like nearly enough building for 650 separate apartments...

I know I wouldn't take the risk, hope they fill up as the rents seems high to me.  Maybe they are dscounting from list prices.

#37 comreguy

comreguy

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I don't know about transformational but it will be a big change...btw do you--or anyone else know--if it's really ~ 650 apartments in that place?  I think it must be bedrooms, doesn't seem like nearly enough building for 650 separate apartments...

I know I wouldn't take the risk, hope they fill up as the rents seems high to me.  Maybe they are dscounting from list prices.

Bedrooms.

#38 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Looks like a new 150 unit, 6 story building is being proposed behind Collier's Drug.  This is not Modus/Specialized, but a different company.

Anybody heard anything recently about Block & Dickson?

Attached Thumbnails

• st charles place revised.jpg

Edited by wmr, 18 September 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#39 strmchsr77

strmchsr77

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Looks like a new 150 unit, 6 story building is being proposed behind Collier's Drug.  This is not Modus/Specialized, but a different company.

Anybody heard anything recently about Block & Dickson?

This project has been in the works for years or at least one similar to it on the same location.  I did see something recently on the Planning Commission Agenda about it.  Just said 152 units on an acre lot with parking.  Thanks for the picture wmr!

#40 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah just heard about this project behind Collier's.  Pretty sure this was the same location for the St James Plaza condos that never happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users