-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Division / Wealthy and ICCF

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#121 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

I agree with Jeff and Joe. It does look like a school, and I think it could turn out either great or terrible -- probably not at all in between. I'll reserve judgement until I see materials and execution. (If brick is used in any part, those brick panels that have become popular will absolutely kill it. I hate seeing visible separations between whole areas of brick.)

#122 OneSweetWorld

OneSweetWorld

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I agree with Jeff and Joe. It does look like a school, and I think it could turn out either great or terrible -- probably not at all in between. I'll reserve judgement until I see materials and execution. (If brick is used in any part, those brick panels that have become popular will absolutely kill it. I hate seeing visible separations between whole areas of brick.)

I guess I don't really see how it could turn out great- while cool looking, it appears extremely suburban to me.

#123 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hmm. I don't see that at all. Modern doesn't equal suburban. Unfortunately, renderings usually look stiff, stark and show no sense of place. I absolutely hated the Art Museum as it went up- now I love it. I can't wait to see how this takes shape (I'm optimistic that it'll be a winner).

Joe

I guess I don't really see how it could turn out great- while cool looking, it appears extremely suburban to me.

#124 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

Well, there is one thing I don't like. The massing is mostly on the side-street perpendicular to Division, whereas the Division-facing side is rather low. Each time I look at the rendering, I visualise Division having the side with the trees -- it feels natural that way -- but I have to remind myself otherwise.

#125 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

Well, there is one thing I don't like. The massing is mostly on the side-street perpendicular to Division, whereas the Division-facing side is rather low. Each time I look at the rendering, I visualise Division having the side with the trees -- it feels natural that way -- but I have to remind myself otherwise.

There's a vacant lot fronting Division. The almost-completed section is a block away.

#126 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

There's a vacant lot fronting Division. The almost-completed section is a block away.

Huh? This school is being built right out on Division. It's a block (parcel) away from Wealthy...

#127 sfloria

sfloria

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thats exactly how I felt too. Its a shame it'll be a one story building along Division. I guess they wanted to smooth out the transition to the Dollar Store...

#128 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Huh? This school is being built right out on Division. It's a block (parcel) away from Wealthy...

Silly me, thinking that the thread was about Division/Wealthy and ICCF.

Carry on.

#129 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Posted Image

It's being built on Parcel C. It is part of Division / Wealthy ICCF, but not immediately at that corner.

#130 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

So where is this thing going? According to the diagrams, Parcel C is supposed to have apartments on most of the space. Is this going to take up all of that?

#2 How far of a setback will this have? in the rendering (north-west elevation) the big white thing with almost no windows is jutting out from the big gray thing with no windows and there is some weird overhang that runs south, down its length, until you get yet another blank wall that holds that whole end part up.

If this is being built on Wealthy, this stuff is not going to fit unless it is built back from the street to an extent where the street wall is obliterated.

Edited by GR_Urbanist, 01 May 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#131 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I may be wrong, but I believe it is being built on the Southeast corner of Division and Logan.

#132 andrew.w

andrew.w

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH (still a resident of Michigan at heart)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

I am assuming you are talking about pre-manufactured or precast brick panels that come already assembled to a concrete backer? Because modern brick is always going to have joints; veneer systems need to have control (expansion) joints on long surfaces and between floors to prevent cracking. The only way to avoid this is to build the building out of solid masonry, and even then control joints are usually provided.

Personally, I think a panelized system could be done quite well if the joints/panels are celebrated in a modern fashion (I have the brick on the Ottawa side of the new courthouse in mind).

I also don't think the rendering is making any sense with the site plan. Our site plan seems to show the short side of the corner building facing division, while the rendering suggests the long side in that direction. If that is the case then I would say that one or both of the division facing apartment buildings have definitely been nixed.

#133 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I also don't think the rendering is making any sense with the site plan. Our site plan seems to show the short side of the corner building facing division, while the rendering suggests the long side in that direction. If that is the case then I would say that one or both of the division facing apartment buildings have definitely been nixed.

The foundation that is in the ground already is fronting right out to Division and Logan, and runs quite a ways South (almost to the next street South I think).

#134 Mark Miller

Mark Miller

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

I think that this building does indeed look like a school. The problem is that the school typology, for whatever reason, has digressed to take on the characteristics of a minimum security detention facility.

So when someone says that it looks like a school, they are showing that they have been conditioned by this morphed typology. The only thing missing is the chain link fence that surrounds the yard (playground).

Take a look at nearly every new school building, particularly those that have been built in small rural towns - they are prisonesque architecture. I was just admiring one a few weeks back in Manton, Michigan....a real gem, including the surrounding chain link fence.

This has nothing to do with modernism nor materials and everything to do with execution, typology and details. If we are holding out hope that somehow the materials for this building are going to save it, then we have already failed.
  • Ted and sfloria like this

#135 gvsusean

gvsusean

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

elementary schools and middle schools should spark creativity, i think the building should look as craqzy as possible like the Guggenheim had sex with a childrens museum.
  • Ted likes this

#136 sfloria

sfloria

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

elementary schools and middle schools should spark creativity, i think the building should look as craqzy as possible like the Guggenheim had sex with a childrens museum.

Would that be Statutory Facadomy?
  • gvsusean likes this

#137 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Would that be Statutory Facadomy?

All I know is I'd be careful which two words I use together when posting on the internets. And I'm not talking about Guggenheim and museum. :P

Edited by wingbert, 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#138 GRJohn

GRJohn

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

What an ugly building. It's like Urban Renewal all over again.

#139 x99

x99

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think it's interesting. You definitely can tell it's a school, and not some fake old architectural interpretation of a school. And at least all the parking is hidden in the back!

Oh, come on. It's barf solidified into brick. They should be ashamed to be permanently blighting the landscape with this architectural abomination. I could design a better looking building in about 15 minutes on the back of a greasy napkin with a crayon. This is absolute trash, no matter how you try to spin it. Hideous, disgusting, nasty, and vile. ZERO aesthetic merit, and bulldozer food from the day it reluctantly rises out of the earth. All of the work that ICCF put into their renderings (and the two buildings they have already built) is going for naught with this pig-ugly kid prison. Shameful. Why don't we just bring back Brutalism if we're going to build scum like this?

Edited by x99, 04 May 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#140 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Wow, tell us what you really think. :)

Rapid Growth put a couple of different renderings on their site. I like them. I'll wait until I see the final product:

http://rapidgrowthme.../UPrep0503.aspx

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users