Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Southeast Side Construction

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

So my friend was talking to the owner of Big Bob's in EGR and he said that he was interested in thier old location on the corner of Hall and Giddings but the current owner (who has had the windows covered with newspapers for years) wants 1 million for it... So it looks like that whole retail block there will continue to suffer. It is too bad there is some great potential to serve ottawa hills/ SE side there.

A million?????? He cant be serious!

My family lived near this corner back in 1987 and I've never known a time when that intersection could have ever warranted that type of price on any of those buildings. The Ottawa branch library, one of the few well-maintained buildings, wouldn't even fetch that much. the rest of the intersection is mostly
shabby car repair shops, and a liquor store. It's been a long time, But I think a tailor and a karate
school was also in the area.

Just another one of these local property trolls looking to score a fantasy payout on property that does not deserve the asking price.

#22 joshleo

joshleo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hall Street Bakery?

http://www.mlive.com...eet_bakery.html

I fully plan on having a croissant for breakfast every day now!

• The Piano Cottage LLC likes this

#23 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Honestly not the best location. It is somewhat isolated from not only Boston Square but also from the small business district @ Giddings and Hall, where I think it would have made a far bigger impact being right across from the library, at a more pedestrian-friendly intersection, and at the nexus of the MLK Park neighborhood, Ottawa Hills, Mulick Park neighborhood, and even some bleed over from EGR.

I'm very familiar with this building though. My sister worked in it back in the early-mid 90s when the bottom floor was a store called "Casual Connections". We also used to go there in the late 80s when it was an ice cream shop called "Mr Smoothies".

Edited by GR_Urbanist, 11 February 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#24 The Piano Cottage LLC

The Piano Cottage LLC

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

So my friend was talking to the owner of Big Bob's in EGR and he said that he was interested in thier old location on the corner of Hall and Giddings but the current owner (who has had the windows covered with newspapers for years) wants 1 million for it... So it looks like that whole retail block there will continue to suffer. It is too bad there is some great potential to serve ottawa hills/ SE side there.

We are trying to get the name of the owner of Big Bob's old building in SE GR (Giddings/Hall) but have unsuccessfully spent many months now going in circles. Do you have any knowledge or information on who we can contact about that building? Grateful for any advice of neighbors or community members that know the history there!

#25 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

We are trying to get the name of the owner of Big Bob's old building in SE GR (Giddings/Hall) but have unsuccessfully spent many months now going in circles. Do you have any knowledge or information on who we can contact about that building? Grateful for any advice of neighbors or community members that know the history there!

The address was actually 1163 Giddings. Looking at Regis, it shows it is owned by JD Coop Properties LLC, Ryan Cooper:

http://www.dleg.stat...PROPERTIES, LLC

I also found this, page 2:

http://grcity.us/des...8-28-08_opt.pdf

You could check with the Planning office at the city and see if they have contact info.

If you're really ambitious:

http://www.whitepage...Grand-Rapids-MI

#26 joshleo

joshleo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

so in 2008 they bought the old Big Bob's to make it a "two-bay hand car wash and auto detailing business." they added the garage doors but unless it is a VERY private business where they only detail their friend's cars... it is not a very great business

the LARA says it is "ACTIVE, BUT NOT IN GOOD STANDING AS OF 2-15-2011" what does that mean?

The minutes from this 2008 meeting say:

"the car wash use will only occupy a portion,  approximately 1100 sq. ft., of the building. The remainder of the building is intended for  another use at a later date. They propose installing two garage doors on the Hall side of  the building for vehicular access and the car wash/detailing would take place indoors."

"the applicants had been talking about a  coffee shop for this location. He isn’t sure what has come of that or how it fits with the  proposed plan."

"This will not be a typical car wash; they plan to run an auto detail shop by appointment only."

"The only portion to be used for the car wash is on Hall and it is setback about 30’ from Hall. It is not visible to neighbors and there is an existing fence. There are also large trees providing screening. The building has been vacant for three  years. They plan to repave, paint and perhaps install awnings. "

"They may consider leasing that space in the future. "

I remember them being somewhat active when they first moved in (put up the newspapers in the windows, added the two stalls, etc) but after that they seemed to have just let things sit.

no coffee shop. no new paving, no awnings, no paint, just another abandoned building which was the one of the reasons they say they wanted to start the business in the first place (to deal with the problem of abandoned buildings)

Edited by joshleo, 16 March 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#27 Raildudes dad

Raildudes dad

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

It means they did not make the required filling with LARA by 2/15/11 (and the necessary filing fee) and have not reinstated the LLC since then. They did not exstinguish the LLC so it is still considered "active".

the LARA says it is "ACTIVE, BUT NOT IN GOOD STANDING AS OF 2-15-2011" what does that mean?

#28 joshleo

joshleo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Went for a walk the other day and took a couple photos. There is some serious potential to make a great little retail area here. The tailor and dry cleaner are great (if a little retro/outdated) the new barbershop is  a fine addition, but the boarded up store front and Big Bob's would be great for shops or restaurants. And the now empty garage kiddie-corner could be developed into something good as well. Maybe WSB going in down the street will turn some eyes to this corner of town.

9007920015_4f798a0b8e_c.jpg

9007919717_f9547be37c_c.jpg

#29 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Went for a walk the other day and took a couple photos. There is some serious potential to make a great little retail area here. The tailor and dry cleaner are great (if a little retro/outdated) the new barbershop is  a fine addition, but the boarded up store front and Big Bob's would be great for shops or restaurants. And the now empty garage kiddie-corner could be developed into something good as well. Maybe WSB going in down the street will turn some eyes to this corner of town.

9007920015_4f798a0b8e_c.jpg

9007919717_f9547be37c_c.jpg

Get it started Josh. Talk to the building owners and see if they'll let you activate the spaces for some events or co-working space. I've had some success with that idea. I agree, that could be a really cool little business district.

#30 joshleo

joshleo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Construction is underway inside the future Hall Street Bakery - dumpster is full and new insulation etc. is going in.

#31 joshleo

joshleo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

here are the proposed plans from the february zoning meeting. These changes are in process!

9496897947_75fca006ac_z.jpg

9496897881_0def5d22e3_z.jpg

• joeDowntown likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users