Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

• Please log in to reply
2033 replies to this topic

#421 bulldogger

bulldogger

Town

• Members+
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Logistically harder than creating an ice rink on land. The water underneath would constantly warm the ice and melt it... much more than ground. That would also lead to liability issues. I think there is a temporary ice rink in Winter Park every year that fills that void and you can always go to RDV for open ice skating.

#422 jack

jack

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think they did that in 2009. But it was not real ice.

#423 mrh3

mrh3

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

With the right sponsorship and engineering team, it would work. Just saying...

#424 cloudship

cloudship

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

I guess I am missing something here. I suppose with enough money you could find a way to float an ice rink on Lake Eola, but not sure how that is much different than building an ice rink on dry land? I could see if you were trying to create something like the canals in Holland or something, but just a skating rink?

They have done skating rinks in the area before. i just don't tend to find them the same as skating up north - there is something about the weather that makes a big difference. So not sure there wuld be enough interest in something like this.

#425 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

Lake Eola Park is large enough to put a rink in it without putting it on the lake. The large field in the corner closest to Panera would be good and get great street visibility. Maybe Howard Middle School and the Catholic grade school could even do a field trip there (among others who could possibly bus in).

They do it at UCF as part of "Light Up UCF"

I think it's a great idea - but definitely not "on the lake"

#426 aent

aent

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Logistically harder than creating an ice rink on land. The water underneath would constantly warm the ice and melt it... much more than ground. That would also lead to liability issues. I think there is a temporary ice rink in Winter Park every year that fills that void and you can always go to RDV for open ice skating.

UCF started bringing an outdoor ice rink to the Orlando area 4-5 years ago and a few others have copied it. They have a pretty nice setup if you haven't checked it out. Its open till Sunday... If we build to many of them, there won't be enough people to support the cost of each one.

#427 jgardnerucf

jgardnerucf

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

The City of Orlando presents Homeless on Ice!
  • Boomer136 likes this

#428 FLheat

FLheat

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

I spoke with the new park director at Lake Eola a few months ago and he was working on a floating ice rink for this past December and had a Corporate sponsor that was interested for a hockey tournament, but apparently the idea fell through.

#429 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Some interesting updates in the article, particularly regarding Cambria Suites:

Downtown Making Orlando More Than Just Disney

http://lhonline.com/...ecent Articles)

#430 prahaboheme

prahaboheme

Town

• Members+
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd like to know what some of the other projects in planning are that were referenced. I assume Aloft.

#431 bulldogger

bulldogger

Town

• Members+
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I spoke with the new park director at Lake Eola a few months ago and he was working on a floating ice rink for this past December and had a Corporate sponsor that was interested for a hockey tournament, but apparently the idea fell through (THE ICE).

^ Added a little to what you said.

Edited by bulldogger, 03 January 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#432 prahaboheme

prahaboheme

Town

• Members+
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'd like to know what some of the other projects in planning are that were referenced. I assume Aloft.

Particularly...what are the 2 hotels in planning on the west side of Amway Center?

#433 UPSDAN

UPSDAN

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that Clean the World is planning a 10 story headquarters tower on the west side of I4. I believe the site is right by the Marriot next to the old Amway Arena.

#434 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Particularly...what are the 2 hotels in planning on the west side of Amway Center?

Isn't one supposed to be included in the Magic entertainment complex?

I don't get by often but it looks like there is a newer construction sign at the lot on Pine and Central - where the 3-story venue with the corkscrew slide in the blueprints was all the talk a few months ago on here.

Secondly, the fenced off lot on E. Colonial between Summerlin and Shine looked like it had a tarp down on it. I believe this is the lot that Kobe's owns but is selling as they are looking to go into the old Barnie's Steak/Seafood.

I don't know anything about construction to know if either of these developments mean anything.

#435 castorvx

castorvx

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

I don't get by often but it looks like there is a newer construction sign at the lot on Pine and Central - where the 3-story venue with the corkscrew slide in the blueprints was all the talk a few months ago on here.

Yeah, a few weeks ago a sign went up naming the general contractor. That's a positive indicator.

#436 prahaboheme

prahaboheme

Town

• Members+
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that Clean the World is planning a 10 story headquarters tower on the west side of I4. I believe the site is right by the Marriot next to the old Amway Arena.

Would this be considered a part of the Creative Village?

#437 castorvx

castorvx

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

7-Eleven in the Plaza is now open. A little roomier than the 55 West one, actually. I figured it would be smaller but it looks like they took up more space than the previous tenant, as the walls have moved back a good amount.

#438 smileguy

smileguy

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Secondly, the fenced off lot on E. Colonial between Summerlin and Shine looked like it had a tarp down on it. I believe this is the lot that Kobe's owns but is selling as they are looking to go into the old Barnie's Steak/Seafood.

I don't know anything about construction to know if either of these developments mean anything.

For this, it's a former gas station site... I think it is part of de-contaminating the ground. There have been pipes coming out of the ground there for months.

#439 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sorry - it's not letting me quote...

prahaboheme - it looks like the Clean the World building is just outside of Creative Village's footprint.

CTW actually has space there now, but looks to build above or directly next to their current 1-2 story warehouse based on the article's description of the site being on Pittman.

#440 FLheat

FLheat

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I heard rumors of a chain restaurant going in the old Lee's Lakeside..can anyone confirm, or even know what this may be? I also heard a Subway was going into the old Eola Wine location.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users