Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

MORTON HOUSE

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 gvsusean

gvsusean

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Mix together the party shop and the drink lounge and get a nice big retail spot.

big enough for a walgreens? :)

#62 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Interesting History of the morton house.
Posted Image
I read somewhere that in the old days the morton was a hotel , and at some point
the owners leased out the top floors to the county insane asylum and continued
using the bottom floors as a hotel. Could have been an intersting night stay at the morton.
Looks a lot different in this postcard from 1911.

Edited by Drew Day, 12 July 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#63 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

I believe this is the "old" Morton House. They tore down this building to build the taller build that exists today. It's a great looking building. I also like the building on the right side of the postcard. It's now a parking lot. :(

Joe

#64 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

I believe this is the "old" Morton House. They tore down this building to build the taller build that exists today. It's a great looking building. I also like the building on the right side of the postcard. It's now a parking lot. :(

Joe

Oh is that what happened? I was thinking they just added on the other floors. Urban Renewal in grand rapids geez.

Edited by Drew Day, 12 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#65 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

Yep, the current Mortan House is a different building then the building in the postcard posted by Drew Day. That building was built in 1872 by Israel Smith and George Morton after a fire destroyed the previous building at the site. The current building was built in 1922 and was home to the Morton Hotel and Kent State Bank which became Old Kent Bank, and now 5/3 Bank.

In the above photo you can better make out the building joeDowntown is referring to in the back ground on the far right. It looks a bit like the Trust Building. This page http://www.historygr...mId=1545&full=1 refers to it as the Ashton Building, formerly known as the Pythian Temple.

Edit: The 7th floor of the Pythian Temple was used for G.R. chapters of the Knights of Pythias. The first 5 floors was a furniture store with the 6th floor being offices. You can read more about the Knights of Pythias here:
http://en.wikipedia....ghts_of_Pythias
http://kent.migenweb...ns/pythias.html

Edited by Gorath, 12 July 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#66 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

Wow ! very intriguing. I see a lot of prominent names on the list of Pythian ranks. Why did they tear that building down? Its a parking lot/walkway that leads to division right?

#67 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Wow can't believe what i just found about the morton house!Posted Image

http://www.burlesons.../mortlobby2.jpg

Edited by Drew Day, 12 July 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#68 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Well looks like the old morton house was the largest institution in the world for diseased rectums afterall.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Bring
your ass to Morton Sanitarium!
Posted Image

Edited by Drew Day, 12 July 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#69 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image
So the old morton house was destroyed by fire and they built this i guess?

Oral history tells us that the Doctor's where tired with the administration of the Hotel part of the business, and that they wanted to focus on the medical practice. Of course it is impossible to say now, but at this time Dr. Ward Ferguson, Dr Lynn Ferguson and Dr. James Droste left the Sanitarium to start their own hospital aptly named Ferguson-Droste-Ferguson, in Grand Rapids.

The Sanitarium took the entire 12th floor of the Morton House hotel, and while the brochure pictures a giant sign outside the hotel. The only sign that where is physical evidence for is this one:

Edited by Drew Day, 12 July 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#70 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Wow ! very intriguing. I see a lot of prominent names on the list of Pythian ranks. Why did they tear that building down? Its a parking lot/walkway that leads to division right?

Yes. Klingman's may have torn it down to provide parking for their showroom next door, lol.

Great pictures. Many of these I've never seen before, and I've seen a lot of historical GR photos and postcards.

#71 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Agreed. Great pictures. I love the extra ornamental elements on top of the Klingman's Building.

Joe

#72 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I've been inside the Morton House once. The former Elevator Lobby was the main lobby for the apartment building, and looks very much the same. You can't notice it outright in the picture above, but there is colourful red and blue artwork on the exposed, dark, wooden beams.

Through a partially opened door I caught glimpse of what appeared to be the former main lobby. It seemed empty and unused, with minimal if any changes.

#73 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Yes. Klingman's may have torn it down to provide parking for their showroom next door, lol.

Great pictures. Many of these I've never seen before, and I've seen a lot of historical GR photos and postcards.

Posted Image

Torn down for a parking lot. We also now know where the dentists are supposed to have their offices downtown :P

#74 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I hate when you see buildings that were torn down in the 70's and early 80's. They were SO CLOSE to avoiding the wrecking ball.

Joe

#75 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

Torn down for a parking lot. We also now know where the dentists are supposed to have their offices downtown :P

Ha, right.

#76 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

When you get on the elevator in the morton house there is a button that says that reads M . This is the Mezzanine or "the Mez". This was the floor that housed the more "mentally disturbed" tenants of the place.

#77 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

On the Mezzanine? That seems like poor planning. ;)

Joe

When you get on the elevator in the morton house there is a button that says that reads M . This is the Mezzanine or "the Mez". This was the floor that housed the more "mentally disturbed" tenants of the place.

#78 Drew Day

Drew Day

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

On the Mezzanine? That seems like poor planning. ;)

Joe

I'm talking in recent years after they turned it into subsidised housing. Maybe it was just an Urban Legend but people i know who lived there would avoid the Mez.

#79 Gorath

Gorath

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Market rate housing is being planned for the Morton Hotel.

Rockford Construction is in the design stage to repurpose the Morton House, 55 Ionia Ave. NW. The company plans a mix-use building with retail on the ground floor, some office space above that, and market-rate housing on the upper levels.

http://www.woodtv.co...ior-achievement

#80 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Rockford has been hinting at the apartments for a while now for the Morton House. But very big news for the junior A building on fulton street!!!!!!! :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users