Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Scott Towers highrise to be demolished?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

According to WYFF, the Scott Towers highrise could be demolished: http://www.wyff4.com...301/detail.html

Edited by citylife, 24 October 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#2 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

Deferred maintenance... sounds like most everything the federal government has a hand in. I think this is a pity.

Edited by GvilleSC, 24 October 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#3 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

While the deferred maintenance is a big culprit, the design is outdated and not safe too.

I feel for the residents, but if they can be found better housing elsewhere, I won't miss this building myself. These high-rise government projects were a bad idea from the start.

I wonder if the building on North Main (forget the name) across from the City Court building would have the same issues?

#4 StrangeCock

StrangeCock

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Sounds like a certain piece of property is about the be handed over to the Hughes...

#5 motonenterprises

motonenterprises

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

I first heard of this a few weeks ago, but didn't want to mention it; because I wasn't sure if my source was reliable.

#6 apaladin

apaladin

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

While the deferred maintenance is a big culprit, the design is outdated and not safe too.

I feel for the residents, but if they can be found better housing elsewhere, I won't miss this building myself. These high-rise government projects were a bad idea from the start.

I wonder if the building on North Main (forget the name) across from the City Court building would have the same issues?

Calhoun Towers is on North Main.

Edited by apaladin, 24 October 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#7 MAJIKMAN

MAJIKMAN

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

^^^
Vicupstate is talking about Towers East. Matter of fact that building and the one beside the transit authority transfer center are outdated and unsafe themselves.

#8 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

Anyone know how tall Towers East is? I wonder if it has sprinklers?

The fire trucks probably could reach the top of the building across from the transit station, it is only 7 or less stories, if memory serves.

#9 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Anyone know how tall Towers East is?

I believe it's 15 floors.

Edited by GvilleSC, 25 October 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#10 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

According to WYFF, (use link above, which has been updated) the City Council approved the demolition yesterday. However, it is expected to take a year to get everyone moved out and relocated.

#11 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Looking on the Gville County GIS website, there are three parcels totally about 6.5 acres that HUD owns. There is actually a second shorter 'tower' behind the one on Augusta St. I wonder is both buildings are being demo'ed?

Assuming the entire site is leveled, it offers a huge opportunity to create a new 'entrance' and 'extention' to the West End. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

#12 apaladin

apaladin

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

^^^
Vicupstate is talking about Towers East. Matter of fact that building and the one beside the transit authority transfer center are outdated and unsafe themselves.

Same building, still Calhoun Towers to those of us that's been around a while, just like the Daniel Building is still the Daniel Building.

#13 hiker_nc

hiker_nc

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

The responsibility for Scott Towers’ upkeep rests with the Greenville HA, who also owns the land, rather than with HUD. The director essentially admitted not properly maintaining the building, which would have made renovation more practical. The interior on the news looked nicer than expected, certainly not demolition-worthy. Whatever problems there are were preventable and/or repairable, with routine maintenance and planned phased-in renovations.

It’s difficult to imagine the complete cost for total demolition, removal, disposal, tenant relocation, new design and construction would be less than upgrading an existing building; especially if it had been done over the last several years.

Here is a Greensboro HA high rise for the elderly, built around the same period as Scott Towers, that has been renovated. Its facade is in better shape than Scott’s, but facades can be improved.

http://www.gha-nc.org/GHA%20Communities%204-09/gateway/gateway_directions.htm

Edited by hiker_nc, 26 October 2011 - 11:39 PM.

#14 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

Based on an article in today's Journal, the mid-rise building will NOT be demolished just the high-rise.

I drove by the Towers East building today and I noticed sprinklers in the building, so I assume it is not in the same boat as the Scott Towers high-rise.

#15 MAJIKMAN

MAJIKMAN

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

That building (Towers East) do have sprinklers. But its not really safe for the residents. The stairways are entirely to small, hate to hear about a fire, and the elevators are way to slow for the type of residents they have on the upper floors, people with health issues. Believe me I've visited people there. This building was probably good in its day but not now. And this incudes the Summit, the other building I mentioned earlier.

#16 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Elevators are off limits in a fire anyway---normally.

#17 MAJIKMAN

MAJIKMAN

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Elevators are off limits in a fire anyway---normally.

I was talking more on the medical emergencies side of things when I refereed to the elevators. Look, both buildings have the same issues and should not have been re-purposed this way. The companies that did this may have had good intentions. But it was bad business for the residents. Just my honest opinion.

#18 mallguy

mallguy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

That building (Towers East) do have sprinklers. But its not really safe for the residents. The stairways are entirely to small, hate to hear about a fire, and the elevators are way to slow for the type of residents they have on the upper floors, people with health issues. Believe me I've visited people there. This building was probably good in its day but not now. And this incudes the Summit, the other building I mentioned earlier.

Agreed.

With Scott Towers being demolished, the Greenville Summit residents also should be given the opportunity to relocate into other housing. At least the Greenville Summit is a historic building in a prime location for redevelopment. I don't see another need for a hotel downtown, but perhaps it could be converted into condos or apartments at market rates? I've never been inside, but looking in from the street, it probably has some potential but would need a lot of work to restore and update it.

#19 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

GHA's Board decided today to move forward with McCormack Baron. They'll "enter into discussions" with the St. Louis company to redevelop Scott Towers. It's not final yet, but the company's $37 million proposal would build 197 new units at Scott Towers (38 affordable, the rest market rate) and 142 senior subsidized garden apartments.

Edited by gman430, 18 July 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#20 ausrutherford

ausrutherford

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

GHA's Board decided today to move forward with McCormack Baron. They'll "enter into discussions" with the St. Louis company to redevelop Scott Towers. It's not final yet, but the company's $37 million proposal would build 197 new units at Scott Towers (38 affordable, the rest market rate) and 142 senior subsidized garden apartments.

How many does Scott currently have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users