Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

GR Press moving

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

So to sum up, speaking of disconnected islands and properties in that vacinity being sat on and left vacant/going unused... I guess they might as well just dynamite Olds Manor now since this was probably the last best hope to solve the issue of no parking that is cited as the reason it can't be redeveloped. With GVSU taking care of the old A & P warehouse next to 131, this is the now the undisputed biggest eyesore to greet visitors to our fair city when they arrive downtown.

On the other hand, I guess we can always hope a miracle occurs and the Postal Service suddenly comes into a bunch of money and builds themselves a new facility out at the airport where it belongs.

I believe we are not done with OM. There's been some sprucing-up done, and the ArtPrize color splashes are still present.

(has a PO box next door)

#82 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

A message from Sinks:

My first column in REVUE Magazine appears this week, along with a feature on Drew Nelson, and my blog is well under way. Can you do me a big favor: Please sign up for email updates on my new website, www.localspins.com, and ask your Facebook friends/musicians to do the same. I need all the traffic I can get as this thing gets launched.

Disclosure: we're FB friends.

#83 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Bleaaaaargh!! :sick:

Looks like a cross between Drudge Report and the Yellow Pages.

#84 jas49503

jas49503

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

this update is awful. I hardly go there anymore because it's just to painful to look at. not to mention that it doesn't display correctly on my iphone.

#85 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

The colors suck, and its harder to nav. I have a feeling that there views will slowly go down.

#86 elcelc

elcelc

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

I guess this is the reason there aren't any yellow websites. Even the Yellow Pages aren't that yellow. Text too big, only three headlines fit on a screen, way too much scrolling...

I did download the new Andriod app and it's much much better. Go figure.

#87 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I was really hoping it'd be a full overhaul, not just a header and a new front page. The article layout is still exactly the same (and looks odd with the new header) and the same glitchy comments system is still exactly the same. (No matter how many times I tell it to remember me when I log in, it never remembers me.)

#88 OneSweetWorld

OneSweetWorld

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

I was really hoping it'd be a full overhaul, not just a header and a new front page. The article layout is still exactly the same (and looks odd with the new header) and the same glitchy comments system is still exactly the same. (No matter how many times I tell it to remember me when I log in, it never remembers me.)

I don't understand what's so wrong with putting all the headlines on one homepage, like virtually every other news website there is. Like elcelc said, way way WAY too much scrolling. They fit what, ten headlines on one page? And much of the time, they're all just updates to the same story. That killing spree a few months ago? One had to scroll through three or four pages just to find a story on something else.

Considering they're phasing out their print editions and (probably) eventually going completely digital, I expected much more.

#89 walker

walker

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Well, it was said by someone smarter than I that good taste is only in the mouth.

The Michigan Avenue front on the post office is not "retro" -- it is classic 1962. Like it or not, there is a Madmen integrity to that front that I would not like to lose. As for the Press and federal buildings, well, the architects should have known better. There is absolutely no excuse for the latter, which was finished in 1972 but looks like 1965.

Ran across this architectural materials ad featuring the post office while looking for something else:

Attached Thumbnails

• GR POST OFFICE AD.jpg

• Avocado likes this

#90 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

I like how they call it an "imposing facade"- as if that's a good thing.

Great find!

Joe

#91 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Ran across this architectural materials ad featuring the post office while looking for something else:

Too bad about that impressive grand entry. Nowadays pedestrians are an afterthought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users