Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

West Fulton Street

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mhelm

mhelm

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Anyone know what's being built on West Fulton Street? They tore down the Dillenbecks Coffee building (1059 W. Fulton - across from Nawara Bros.) and are pouring something in it's place. Tear down & site work has been going on for the better part of 2 weeks.

Also, in what seems to have been an inevitable conclusion, Parkside Market finally went out of business about 2 weeks ago. They've completely cleared out the store - fixtures & all. As the building is completely stripped I wonder if there is already a plan for a replacement.

Just down the block at the Zoo they had the groundbreaking ceremony for the funicular last week (9/29). While I don't see much in the way of progress yet, it's scheduled to be up and running early next summer!
http://www.woodtv.co...-project-begins

Edited by mhelm, 03 November 2011 - 10:32 AM.

#2 mpchicago

mpchicago

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

D'amico's, and now Parkside. Who's next? Is the Ralph's remodel/expansion on Leonard still a go?

Edited by mpchicago, 04 November 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#3 PolarBoy

PolarBoy

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

Not sure what's replacing Dillenbecks. The footers are really close to the sidewalk, and it looks like half the lot will be parking to the east of the building.

West Fulton has seen a lot of businesses close up in even the last year. KFC, MetroPCS, Fulton Pharmacy... Also, Dilly's and Clark have been abandoned for 5 years.

Parkside was never really a destination...nothing really distinguished it from other urban groceries. I felt like I was imposing on the employees when I was in there, so I went to Franks/BPPS for various things.

I go up and down Wealthy Street every day between Mary Free Bed and Fuller, and I keep hoping there can be a similar revival along West Fulton. Putt Putts and Ball Park Party Store put money into renovations, so there are those who seem to care, and plan on sticking around. I'd love a decent restaurant, rather than the college bars. West Fulton is very walkable from downtown and JBP.

#4 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

Revival wont happen until that stubborn neighborhood association relents on their college housing phobia.

The demographics as of now are not the ones that will support much more than the McDonalds and pawn shop it seems.
  • Veloise and amylynne like this

#5 pcdoctor

pcdoctor

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

I just noticed that the Dillenbeck's building had been torn down. But they aren't saying what's going in it's spot. Fulton Pharmacy closed down???? If so, how long ago? Fulton street sure isn't what it used to be anymore.

#6 PolarBoy

PolarBoy

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Revival wont happen until that stubborn neighborhood association relents on their college housing phobia

Care to elaborate? Or provide a link so I can check it out myself?

The other thing that sort of baffles me is that curve that was put in that connects Seward to Lexington? Is that part of the GVSU renovations?

Edit:
Fulton Pharmacy closed Oct 11.

Edited by PolarBoy, 14 November 2011 - 09:10 AM.

#7 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

The neighborhood is well known for shooting down student housing in the area (some really nice projects). You can find multiple threads on the forum.

Joe

#8 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

Care to elaborate? Or provide a link so I can check it out myself?

Might compare and contrast with Planning Commission agendas and minutes.

The other thing that sort of baffles me is that curve that was put in that connects Seward to Lexington? Is that part of the GVSU renovations?

The antennas from the cell tower building were relocated to the new cell tower that's in what would have been the centerline of Seward. That extension has been in the works for a while.

[insert comment here about the parallel grid network and curvilinear streets]

Edited by Veloise, 14 November 2011 - 04:03 PM.

#9 PolarBoy

PolarBoy

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Anyone know what's being built on West Fulton Street?

It's a Subway Restaurant. I guess the one two blocks west is shutting down. They're keeping drive through service, and it looks like they will have a lot more parking.

#10 pcdoctor

pcdoctor

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Since when did they take out the traffic light at Lexington/Fulton and what was the reasoning behind this?

#11 fotoman311

fotoman311

Burg

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Since when did they take out the traffic light at Lexington/Fulton and what was the reasoning behind this?

When they opened the new Seward extension, sometime around November. Lexington south of Fulton dead-ends at the new Seward Ave extension (which goes from Fulton to Butterworth) and they "moved" the light to Seward and Fulton.

#12 pcdoctor

pcdoctor

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

Didn't Lexington used to go through to Butterworth?

#13 fotoman311

fotoman311

Burg

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Didn't Lexington used to go through to Butterworth?

Yes. Now Seward curves around the existing building to where Lexington was, dead ending Lexington between Fulton and Watson, and goes by the Atek Medical Manufacturing plant to Butterworth. The master plan is to purchase the old rail right of way that Padnos now owns (which they currently use as a parking lot for their big salvage trucks and dumpsters) and continue Seward all the way to Straight Ave, where it will effectively feed into Wealthy. I think the idea is that Seward will be the main N-S urban "arterial" for the near west side, going all the way from Leonard to Wealthy.

#14 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Saw this on WOOD TV -

http://www.woodtv.co...ent-idea-080912

Speculative demolition of 7 houses. The neighborhood has repeatedly fought development in that area (some very nice looking development I might add). Anyone else get that "good luck" feeling when they heard this?

Would love to see new development in that area. Very skeptical that anyone can make it through the west side gauntlet. ;)

Joe

#15 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

That was this project, right? So after 3 years, we went from a proposed building to an empty lot?

#16 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Saw this on WOOD TV -

http://www.woodtv.co...ent-idea-080912

Speculative demolition of 7 houses. The neighborhood has repeatedly fought development in that area (some very nice looking development I might add). Anyone else get that "good luck" feeling when they heard this?

Would love to see new development in that area. Very skeptical that anyone can make it through the west side gauntlet. ;)

Joe

I do find humor in the contradictions (relative to the residents of this area, not to Joe and Veloise) between these two posts...

On Facebook, some West Side residents are decrying the closure of their last gas station (Fulton at 131) and stating that they need more economic development (and a new place to buy gas). It will be interesting to see the reaction to a new drive-through use.

Is there another possible outcome when you always fight new development while not supporting existing businesses?

Posted Image

#17 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yep, empty lot vs. attractive development- exact same location, 3 years later. Will be interesting to see if the westside once again puts the smackdown on development (though I could see fighting demolition until a project is in place). But still...

Joe

That was this project, right? So after 3 years, we went from a proposed building to an empty lot?

#18 mhelm

mhelm

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Here's hope that they can get something to go in there . . . SWAN has to get over their dream of 'remaining' a single family, owner-occupied wonderland.

There does seem to be some better news in the neighborhood:
- Old KFC being changed into a Tim Hortons
- Grand Slam Subs going into the old Metrol building at Seward & Lake MI Drive
- Rockford Construction starting work on their new HQ at the former Miller Products

Along with the new Subway, GVSU Business building & in-the-works Rylee's project it seems like the Westside is seeing some progress.

And good news that Ralph's will finally be going ahead with their rebuild on Leonard. I would've bet against it when they announced 2 years ago but it looks like work commences this fall. http://www.mlive.com...dy_to_laun.html

#19 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Anyone able to find the comments regarding the denied proposal for the vacant lot across from the Y? If memory serves, the neighbors stated that they didn't want anything new built on that space because their children use it as a playground.

The quote feature on here seems to duplicate things.

#20 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

The developer won approval to demolish the homes. That was a surprise.

http://www.mlive.com..._about_wes.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users