-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Drinking Beer in Charlotte

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#21 Urbanity

Urbanity

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Welcome to the neighborhood!...the saucer is still the best spot up here :thumbsup:

Meant to reply before this. Love Saucer and already joined the club and have had my first brunch as well. The beers are great, but even more is the sense of already seeing regulars and feeling of a hood.

#22 tozmervo

tozmervo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

per the twitterverse, Bev is in Asheville today to announce New Belgium's new facility there at 4. I guess we'll know for sure at 4.

#23 ScottCLT

ScottCLT

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

My wife and I went to World of Beer tonight around 6:00. Honestly I didn't think this place was that big! But it's huge! The place was definitely hopping, but not too busy to find a couple bar stools. We had some excellent beers and ciders, and joined the frequent visitor club, which has some rewards for 50, 100, 250, etc. tasted beers. You get 2 pints for free with the $15 membership, which basically pays for it minus a couple dollars (and you get a coozie). The few people that serviced us were VERY knowledgable about beer. Every variety, every taste, and they knew how to pick something that was exactly what we asked for by description. As far as the 560 beers in bottles, there was no delay after ordering a bottle - the bartender went directly to the beer when we ordered it.

Maybe the first week was just a little rough because it was new. But from our experience tonight, I think they have their game down now.

#24 ah59396

ah59396

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

My wife and I went to World of Beer tonight around 6:00. Honestly I didn't think this place was that big! But it's huge! The place was definitely hopping, but not too busy to find a couple bar stools. We had some excellent beers and ciders, and joined the frequent visitor club, which has some rewards for 50, 100, 250, etc. tasted beers. You get 2 pints for free with the $15 membership, which basically pays for it minus a couple dollars (and you get a coozie). The few people that serviced us were VERY knowledgable about beer. Every variety, every taste, and they knew how to pick something that was exactly what we asked for by description. As far as the 560 beers in bottles, there was no delay after ordering a bottle - the bartender went directly to the beer when we ordered it.

Maybe the first week was just a little rough because it was new. But from our experience tonight, I think they have their game down now.

I'm glad your trip worked out better. It is my understanding that, much like the ladies up at the Flying Saucer, WOB requires their staff to go through a pretty rigorous beer class prior to employment.

Beer-school...now THERE is some homework I wouldn't have minded doing!

per the twitterverse, Bev is in Asheville today to announce New Belgium's new facility there at 4. I guess we'll know for sure at 4.

Also, just as an FYI, this was confirmed. We will all be drinking New Belgium beer that was brewed in Asheville by 2015. Plus it's going to create close to 150 jobs. Where do I sign up!?

#25 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Charlotte made the ballot for BeerCity USA 2012: http://www.examiner....allot-finalized

Voting begins May 1st.

#26 tozmervo

tozmervo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Just learned about http://partypedaler.com/. Saw one in Austin, had no idea there was one here. :alc: :wub:
  • caterpillar2 likes this

#27 CarolinaCrown

CarolinaCrown

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Skull Coast Ales has finally announced/the story has broken on where their brewery will be located. They will be refurbishing The Hollar Hosiery Mill site in Hickory, NC just off of interstate 40. I cant wait until their beers are back on the market, their some of the best craft brews money can buy. There is also mention of a reality show being filmed during the restoration of the mill and opening of the brewery.

More in article here:
http://www.observern...new-brewery-tap

#28 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Cool little snippet on Fox Charlotte regarding the rising craft beer scene around town: http://www.foxcharlo...-162677796.html

The only thing I take issue with is at the beginning of the news segment, they make reference to "boutique beer"... We're not shopping for women's clothing here. This is BEER :alc:

#29 ah59396

ah59396

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

I saw that last night and I agree completely. Boutique beer makes me sound like I drink it with my pinky sticking out. WTF.

Good clip though, ha-ha.

#30 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

According to their Facebook page, Triple C Brewery (located in South End) will be opening in a few weeks. Looks like they got all their equipment in and have started brewing.

#31 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Oh BTW, Today is IPA Day... So head on out to one of your favorite CLT watering holes and drink an IPA! I know I will be... :alc:

#32 tozmervo

tozmervo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I believe I'll have another [brewery]! Triple C is now set to debut Saturday the 25th at 2pm. http://www.triplecbrewing.com/

#33 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

I believe I'll have another [brewery]! Triple C is now set to debut Saturday the 25th at 2pm. http://www.triplecbrewing.com/

Very exciting news. Can't wait to check out their beer. I tell you though, I've been on a NoDa beer kick lately. Their Monk's Trunks Belgian Pale Ale and Woody & Wilcox IPA is great.

#34 tozmervo

tozmervo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

I've been on a Birdsong kick myself. Jalapeno is a major favorite, and their Red House and Golden Raisin (both specialty batches) are on point. Of course, Mecktoberfest drops at OMB August 29, so I know what I'll be drinking for a few month!

#35 Scoopbth

Scoopbth

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've been on a Birdsong kick myself. Jalapeno is a major favorite, and their Red House and Golden Raisin (both specialty batches) are on point. Of course, Mecktoberfest drops at OMB August 29, so I know what I'll be drinking for a few month!

Do they still have any Jalapeno at Birdsong? I can't seem to get a hold of it every time I go to fill up a growler.

#36 tozmervo

tozmervo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

they just rereleased it

#37 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Went down to Triple C Sunday afternoon. I really like the space, its slightly swankier than Old Mecklenburg but it also had five or six dogs inside so it was a really nice environment to have a few pints. The outdoor space looked fine (grassy but inside a chain link fence) but, despite the large crowd, no one was using it on Sunday afternoon (the fence did make a handy place to store my bcycle with a broken lock). If Sunday afternoon was any indication Triple C will generate a great deal of foot traffic around SoBern.

I had the Greenway IPA, I thought it was kinda blah but I am eager to try their other beers, especially their amber. The weird part was they don't include sales tax on their beers, consiquently it takes a longggg time for the bartenders to make change. The other downside was that growler pricing looked to be a couple bucks higher than at Old Meck.

Overall I am very glad Triple C is now in the neighborhood, I'll be back.

#38 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

I had Triple C's Smoked Amber at Salud last Tuesday, and their Pale at Vintner's Market on Saturday. The Smoked Amber is outstanding. The Pale was fine -- right up the middle of the style -- light and refreshing. Can't wait to get to their brewery.

#39 tozmervo

tozmervo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

So Heist has also officially opened. So, South to North: Four Friends, OMB, Triple C, Rock Bottom, NoDa, Birdsong, Heist.

I managed to get out to Triple C AND Heist this weekend:
Triple C - Smoked Amber on Nitro definitely the best. "Up the Middle" is a great way to describe the Pale Ale, and I would say that's true of the IPA as well. The space is really quite nice using old palette wood. They don't really have any beer I'd take home in a growler - yet - but neither did Birdsong when they first opened.

As for Heist, that was the best new restaurant experience I've ever had in Charlotte. I *loved* every part of it. The food was outstanding - I had the duck flatbread and later a cherry float. The interior is phenomenal: warm, rich, but also very laid back and tactile. My bar staff was really fun and informative, with genuine friendliness and good suggestions. And the beer. Get this, they have eleven taps, with room for one more. And they have four house-brewed sodas (I'll refer you back to the cherry float). Despite that number, I was really impressed with the quality. I tried 6 beers, and ended up with pints of the red (my favorite) and the tripel (my favorite if I'm not driving).

I am DEFINITELY going back to Heist.

#40 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

I went to both Triple C and Heist yesterday, plus a repeat stop at Birdsong on the way home. Can't add too much to tozmervo's review.

The Triple C space is nice and the beers are good. Will love stopping here on my train ride uptown for Bobcats games.

The Heist space is extremely cool with tons of money obviously spent, and the food was really good. The burgers and pizza and pretzels with beer cheese app were all great, except that we got way too few pretzels for the generous serving of beer cheese dip. Oh well, we used the rest of the dip for our side tots with the burgers.

However, our group of 3 didn't like the beer at all, and we're NOT beer snobs. We tried all 11, and we found them all to be a little watery, under-carbonated, and sort-of flavorless. The Blueberry Blonde was close to being okay for its style, but that's not a style I get very fired up about. The Hefe was close too, but again, it's hard to have a Hefe that truly lights your fire. The Red and Trippel were okay, but far from the quality coming out of the other breweries. It was really a disappointment.

Birdsong was a delicious and consistent end to the evening.

Edited by grodney, 03 September 2012 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users