Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Charlotte Bobcats Arena

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1283 replies to this topic

#661 skylinedrive

skylinedrive

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

The Bobcats are getting off to a great start in the new arena. Their first game is now sold out!

#662 nyxmike

nyxmike

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

The old arena is up for sale and has it's first bid already:

http://www.news14cha...asp?ArID=105541

#663 skylinedrive

skylinedrive

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

http://www.charlotte...ts/12997986.htm

goodbye tyvola colliseum. we hardly knew ye.

To follow up on that they also have a nice photo montage of the big events at the Colisiem.

http://www.charlotte...26coliseum.html

#664 skylinedrive

skylinedrive

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

I feel like a post whore in this thread tonight, but so much is going on with the new Arena.

I went to the Checker's Open House tonight and saw the setup for hockey. It looks really nice. They do have the rink pushed to one side on the arena, but it still works.

I talked to a rep there and he said they will have parts of the Upper Level open for a total of about 7,000 seats. He also said there are about 600 seats in the boxes, so a sellout crowd would be about 7,600.

He also said that if they are succusful they can open up more sections of the upper level for a maximum capacity of about 12,000 for hockey games.

#665 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

is $16.5 million fair value for the coliseum?

#666 atlrvr

atlrvr

City

• Moderators
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

Well....depends on what you consider the site is good for.

It is illegal to operate the arena so it has to be demolished.

The way the city rezoned it, fair value for the land is probably about $16M-$18M, but the purchaser will have to pay for the arena to be demolished.

#667 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

the discussion of charlotte's nightlife has been moved here:

http://www.urbanplan...showtopic=17495

#668 gokapono

gokapono

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

Indeed. You would think that millionares would pay the price just so they could say they went to the first game in the Arena, no matter the cost. As I said earlier, it doesn't bode well for the NBA here. I really don't think it was all about George Shinn, when the Hornet's attendence was so low.

They might very well sell out by the night of the game, but we are getting very close to what is supposed to be the big event all the hoopla was about with building the thing for the Bobcats in the first place.

I was a Hornets season ticketholder, and I'm now a Bobcats season ticketholder.

Here are my 2-cents. Yes, you are correct that the attendance decline was not 100% about Shinn, though that had a lot to do with it. I'd say it was a mixture of things, but I'd say it was MAINLY the fact that Shinn had a revolving door for players, along with the Panthers coming to down & changing the sports economics in CLT.

I think it's quite premature to declare the arena & Bobcats a doomed venture. Let's see what happens when the Bobcats add talent & start becoming competitive. I will guarantee you that attendance will pick up quite nicely.

That said, the Bobcats organization needs to realize that this is NOT New York, and adjust their marketing accordingly.

What I'd really like to see more than anything is for the Eeyores of this town to at least stop openly campaigning for the Bobcats to be a failure.

Edited by gokapono, 28 October 2005 - 10:01 PM.

#669 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

What I'd really like to see more than anything is for the Eeyores of this town to at least stop openly campaigning for the Bobcats to be a failure.

ditto on that one. i think the naysayers can write down their predictions on a piece of paper and stick it in the basket on the mantle to do the "i told you so" stuff 10 years from now... but then do what they can to make the most out of the fact that that they are here, and given their strict contract...are here to stay.

the fiscal conservatives who are against publicly funded arenas should theoretically be the most in support of them selling tickets well.

the piece of paper on my mantle basket says they're going to be successful ultimately, and will be a net positive for the city and well worth the spending of tax money paid for by hotel residents. (and a little bit of already purchased city land).

#670 gokapono

gokapono

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:44 PM

ditto on that one. i think the naysayers can write down their predictions on a piece of paper and stick it in the basket on the mantle to do the "i told you so" stuff 10 years from now... but then do what they can to make the most out of the fact that that they are here, and given their strict contract...are here to stay.

Ah, the naysayers. They know the cost of everything & the value of nothing. They're just upset because they cannot get a single candidate elected. And worst of all, their hatred for McCrory hasn't made a dent in his resounding re-elections.

Bobcats aside, the arena is a piece of the urban growth puzzle. In that respect, it is already a success. What, eight or so major high-rise projects announced since the arena construction began?

#671 monsoon

monsoon

Gigalopolis

• Members+
  • 19,737 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

The last event in the Charlotte Coliseum was held today, the Women in Faith conderence. Attendence was 24,000. Organizers were lamenting the fact that the city could no longer host an event this large because to put it in the Bob Cats arena would mean that attendence would have to be 6,000 less. While they are selling tickets for the event to be held in the new arena next year, they left open the possibility of moving the event out of Charlotte to a bigger venue.

#672 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:50 PM

that is a valid criticism, though. 4000 lower capacity is pretty tough when events are looking for sheer numbers. however, for the events we lose for that reason there will likely be others gained because of quality of the seats and the experience, as well as much more convenience to hotels and other 'things to do'.

#673 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

^This is true, dubone. I think in the final analysis, it's a pretty good trade-off.

#674 gokapono

gokapono

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

The published maximum capacity of the new arena is 20,200 (for college games). I'm quite sure they can accommodate pretty darned close to that for something like the "Women in Faith" conference.

#675 monsoon

monsoon

Gigalopolis

• Members+
  • 19,737 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

These are the stated capacities of the new arena:
  • Seating - NBA/WNBA basketball 18,500
  • Seating - college basketball 20,200
  • Seating - hockey 14,100
  • Seating - end stage concert 16,700
In comparison, the Charlotte Coliseum has a general seating for non Basketball events of more than 24,000 because it was not purpose built for basketball. it was built to compete against the Greensboro coliseum for concerts and other events. This is where the Women in Faith organizers get their 6000 difference. (and they are hoping to grow the event, not shrink it)

Now that the Charlotte Coliseum is closed, bragging rights for the largest Arena in NC reverts back to Greensboro.

#676 dmccall

dmccall

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

I think one more interesting event that happened in the Tyvola CLT Coliseum was the filming of the movie "Eddie". It was portrayed as Madison Square Garden in the movie.

Of course, the Heels' big wins there in March will leave a great lasting impression of the building on us :)

As for the Bobcats' success, I'm in Raleigh and hoping they do well. The arena is nice and will make a neat neighborhood on that end of downtown. Prices are high, but you get what you pay for. After having been pampered by going to things in the RBC Center, I was amazed at how basic and uncomfortable Tyvola arena was. The new arena will be GREAT for Charlotte!

#677 gokapono

gokapono

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

it was built to compete against the Greensboro coliseum for concerts and other events.

Seems to me that a whole lot of concerts went to Greensboro or Greenville/Spartanburg and bypassed Charlotte. Yet already we've got U2, Elton John, Rolling Stones, and more already slated for the new arena.

Bigger isn't necessarily better. I've been in both buildings. There is no comparison.

#678 monsoon

monsoon

Gigalopolis

• Members+
  • 19,737 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

I was living here when the decision was made to build the Charlotte Coliseum in the mid-80s. That was the stated reason the city urged the voters to pass a bond referendum to pay for it. The city had lost many concerts to Greensboro and the new Charlotte Coliseum was built to take away that advantage. Those facts are not in dispute. It remains to be seen if this does not happen again.

#679 bork

bork

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

I was living here when the decision was made to build the Charlotte Coliseum in the mid-80s. That was the stated reason the city urged the voters to pass a bond referendum to pay for it. The city had lost many concerts to Greensboro and the new Charlotte Coliseum was built to take away that advantage. Those facts are not in dispute. It remains to be seen if this does not happen again.

Having Bob Johnson pulling for Charlotte certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to the music industry...

#680 spectacle21

spectacle21

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:50 PM

I don't think that a slightly smaller arena will deter big-time concerts away from Charlotte. This is Charlotte people...not Fayetteville or Raleigh. Sometimes, the concerts make 2-3 stops in North Carolina (i.e. Destiny's Child made stops in Raleigh & Charlotte...although they were in outdoor facilities). With the gigs this new arena has already booked, I don't see nothing but bigger and better venues coming into the city. In most cases, people from Greensboro, Grnvl/Sprtbrg, Raleigh, etc. have to trek to Charlotte to catch a majority of big-name shows/events.