Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Fort Lauderdale & North/Central Broward

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
209 replies to this topic

#61 Aessotariq

Aessotariq

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

A new development for Plantation's midtown, what will become the city's tallest building, surpassing the city's current tallest by just one floor. Tentatively called One Plantation Plaza, it would feature a 10 story building with 576 residential units, 80,000. sf. retail, and 40,000 sf. office. Developer is Stiles Development. The project awaits approval from the city council.

The area is located around University Drive corridor and Interstate 595, with mostly commercial strips, office buildings, and little residential (not until past Broward Blvd do you see residential buildings along University).

http://www.sun-senti...la-news-broward

#62 Aessotariq

Aessotariq

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:57 AM

Fort Lauderdale's Las Olas Riverfront has not been as successful as had been hoped. It's located west of Andrews Avenue and SW 2nd Street. Tenants have been reporting slow sales and property values have fallen. A new developer has bought the property and now there are plans to build high-rise condos on the site.

read more

Wow, this is the exact opposite of what I saw when I went there a few weeks ago. The courtyard and plaza were packed with people, and this was in the daytime.

#63 Urban_Legend

Urban_Legend

Town

• Editor
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:18 PM

^I've seen it packed and empty. I really don't get that area... I think it'll be nice to have the residential tower there, where it might bring more residents/shoppers to that area. But I heard they'd get rid of the movie theatre to put the condos in. I really liked having a movie theatre downtown.

#64 FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Whistle-Stop

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

There seems to be alot of new projects in this N. Andrews area.  I've never really explored that part of downtown before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kind of have a "sour taste" in my mouth regarding the "building up" of downtown FTL West of Andrews and North of Broward Boulevard.

Why? Because that area now is primarily composed of not well to do African Americans. Howbeit, the area is a little run-down and needs some type of revitalization or financial infusion, but whoever is running that district I will say that this is not the way to do it.

I now live in Sarasota where they, the City Government recently purchased most of of the land in the "Old Town" district, which was predominantly black, forcing the black populace to move North to the 2nd black district called Newtown, and renovated and are currently planning to replace most of the buildings in Old Town with expensive condo's. Some blacks refused to move and are still living in this area along with the rising expensive condo's, renovated buildings, etc.

It appears that the same is happening in Fort Lauderdale, and to a point I am a little angry. No, I am not crying racism but I am crying foul. Most of the people in that area of FTL are relatively poor, and I must admit the majority of the populace are black. I would cry foul if it were any other ethnic group including whites but being a black man I guess I am a little more sensitive than the average "Joe."

I love development, redevelopment, upgrading of neighborhoods, etc. But when it appears that the government in the City of question are taking some sort of an "overbearing" advantage on people who are less fortunate, then I have to sound my voice!

:angry: FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

#65 Urban_Legend

Urban_Legend

Town

• Editor
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

^A very valid point. IMO, though Ft. Laud is sparkling clean and bursting with development, it's not mixed well. Many people on this message board stress that mixed incomes are vital to a "real" and successful urban area.

Most of downtown is filled with stuff not many people can afford. Not just the black populace, but most of the people in the vicinity can't afford the Las Olas River House. Where do the rich people come from?

The "liveable" neighborhoods aren't the shiny towers full of investment buyers that use the condo like twice a year. Real residents live in the middle wealth ($$ for those that have played Sim City) units.

That's my two cents ($$)

#66 Aessotariq

Aessotariq

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:45 PM

New 10-story office building planned for Plantation office park. The site is located bound by W. Peters Road, I-595, and Pine Island Road. It is visible from I-595 and tenants include the US headquarters for DHL. Building would contain 240,000 sf. of office space. Developer is Patrinely Group.

http://www.miami.com...ld/12425873.htm

#67 Aessotariq

Aessotariq

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

The Broward town of Oakland Park, north of Fort Lauderdale, has some big plans in its future. The city has officially completed the annexation of the previously unincorporated neighborhoods of North Andrews Gardens, Twin Lakes South, Mira Lago and Montage-by-the-Lake, adding 10,000 people, bringing the city's population to 42,000.

The city is hoping to revitalize its "main street" corridor, and plans include new housing, mixed use developments, and more.

Check out the city's Master Plans.

http://www.miami.com...ws/12689064.htm

#68 Urban_Legend

Urban_Legend

Town

• Editor
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

I like how small municipalities like Delray Beach and Oakland Park are putting these master plans together. It might be easier for these smaller towns to implement these "Main Street" designs, since they're in a smaller, focused area.

#69 Dale

Dale

Town

• Members+
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:35 PM

I drove through downtown today and it would appear that 200 Brickell is dead. Weathered sign. Chainlink fence. Weeds growing. No signs of progress.

Surprising given that, heretofore, everything Stiles has touched has turned to gold.

#70 Aessotariq

Aessotariq

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:42 AM

I'll see what I can find out... pure speculation on my part, but an assemblage with the adjacent dying Las Olas Riverfront might not be too far-fetched if this ends up dead in the water. I wish there was better documentation for this city.

#71 Aessotariq

Aessotariq

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

Developers of the "W" hotel on Fort Lauderdale beach have demolished their sales center to clear more room for work on the site. The sales center was housed in the former Southern Shores hotel, said Sales Director Maura Landers. The sales operation has moved temporarily to the offices of Colonial Development Corp., in Suite 1050 at 515 E. Las Olas Blvd. The search for a new sales center is ongoing.

Of the 517 units W is expected to build, 171 are being offered as condo-hotel dwellings. Construction of the building is expected to take about two years, with opening scheduled for the 2007-08 winter season.

http://www.sun-senti...iness-headlines

#72 tombarnes

tombarnes

City

• Moderators
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

I'm baffled over why a new shopping area which seems to be thriving would be obliterated. It would appear that having shops, restaurants and theaters in close prroximity to dwelling units would be a strong benefit to residents. I'm not carried away with the quality of many of the restaurants there (think Ugly Tuna Saloona), but to destroy the whole thing seems questionable.

Edited by tombarnes, 12 November 2005 - 06:47 PM.

#73 SoFLA954

SoFLA954

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:36 PM

On the corner of Atlantic and AIA WCI is building a three tower project. A seventeen story tower west of AIA is under construction and consist of 186 units at an average price of a million. A twenty seven story tower is being built east of there and will be a condo/hotel. The hotel chain has yet to be announced but WCI said it will a top of the line chain ( I am hoping Ritz Carlton, but we'll see) Units are going to go around the 1000 per square foot range. Below is a link to a rendering of the project.

http://www.andyweise...ndering-900.jpg

Thing are really starting to pick up in Pompano. For years it always been lagging behind other coastal cities but I think this project will really start to make the area boom. Pompano was recently named as one of the top five vacation home markets in the nation and has been in the top five zip codes for yearly appreciation. THe city is wanting to making atlantic blvd a pedestrian friendly street with mixed use development. Hopefully when the city goes in for its LAC designation in Jan. it will get approved by the county (Let hope the planning dept. deosnt screw up again). When that happens things will really explode. :D

#74 larrysofla

larrysofla

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

The long fought about 42 story tower next to Stranahan House was approved on Tuesday by the city of Fort Lauderdale by a 3-2 vote. You can read about it here http://www.sun-senti...-home-headlines
It will be the new tallest tower in Fort Lauderdale, although only by a few feet.

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

#75 dave8721

dave8721

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:23 AM

The long fought about 42 story tower next to Stranahan House was approved on Tuesday by the city of Fort Lauderdale by a 3-2 vote. You can read about it here http://www.sun-senti...-home-headlines
It will be the new tallest tower in Fort Lauderdale, although only by a few feet.

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

A new tallest is always good news. Ft.Lauderdale needs to go over 500 feet though, they can't allow Hallandale to have the tallest in the County.

#76 Dale

Dale

Town

• Members+
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

This is great news ! This will enhance the skyline and, at the same time, fill that profoundly dead spot on a critical stretch of Las Olas.

#77 poonther

poonther

Town

• Members+
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

I love to see aerial views of the tunnel area....cool!

I like this building and want it to be built, but I wish it were not going exactly where it is. I think it's too much for the Stranahan House. I think a low to mid rise Mediterranean/Caribbean type structure would have been a better fit, but that's just me.

When I lived in Lauderdale, I use to shop at this Hyde Park Market. I think before it was Hyde Park, it was a Pantry Pride...anyone remember those? I even got my car booted there once for parking and going shopping on Las Olas.

Glad this site is being developed, just not sure IMO if this is the correct structure for this site.

Hallandale...the tallest structure in Broward? Say it ain't so! What does that building look like?

#78 tombarnes

tombarnes

City

• Moderators
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

The Westin Diplomat. A well run hotel, but a rather strange building. The rooms and suites are quite nice, though.

#79 poonther

poonther

Town

• Members+
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

No I don't think it's the Westin Diplomat. That's already built and is in Hollywood if I remember correctly. I think the Hallandale building is currently under construction? Help me out here Broward folks.

#80 Topher1

Topher1

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

Hallandale Beach Club is the name of the tallest I believe. I don't know if it's UC, complete, or even if its started yet, though...