Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Columbia Area Developments

• Please log in to reply
1845 replies to this topic

#41 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

This is a different attempt at things for Mungo

I too want to see some commercial space. Ideally retail, but if nothing else some office buildings fronting Huger. If they (whoever wins the bid) make it essentially a closed off subdivision type thing I will be displeased.

[

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the property have frontage on Huger? The old CCI prison could be seen from Huger, but The Bell South buildings lie between this site and Huger, or so I thought.

I am leery of Mungo, he has a bad reputation from their work in Friarsgate. The Congaree Park Partnership proposal sounds underwhelming as well.

The Beach Company or Canalside proposals sound best, but I doubt a TIF can be created there since one is already in place.

The fact that four proposals have come forward shows the impact of getting the Publix in the Vista. A grocery store is a valuable amenity that draws a lot of investment in it's wake.

A neighborhood in Jacksonville called Riverside got a Publix about two years ago, and the area has really expanded and appreciated in value.

After 11 long dormant years, this site might finally get it's long overdue new life. I still have my fingers crossed though.

#42 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:15 PM

I definitely want to see a mixed-use development with townhomes, apartments, retail, a hotel and some offices. I do not want to see a gated community with $500,000 homes. This is property that needs to be open and accessible, especially with the development directly along the canal. It should also open into Riverfront Park next door.

#43 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

I was wrong about Huger. Here is the original diagram (this is what the Canalside Company is proposing too):
Posted Image

On a separate note, I just saw on the news that the CMRTA is going to redo all the bus stops to create a uniform appearance. Good news there.

Edited by Spartan, 19 January 2005 - 10:10 PM.

#44 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the diagram, Spartan. I like that sort of a development. This needs to be topflight and available to as many people as possible.

#45 emerging.me

emerging.me

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:16 AM

I have video renderings of the initial CanalSide proposal. I posted them before, but removed them after a previous topic faded out. LMK if there's interest in downloading and I'll put them back up. I thought the initial designs were nice, but a little bland. They were very much trying to stick to the inherent design of the area -- traditional all-brick. I'm usually a fan of that, but in this case I thought it was kind of too much of a good thing.

Edited by emerging.me, 20 January 2005 - 12:18 AM.

#46 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

I have video renderings of the initial CanalSide proposal. I posted them before, but removed them after a previous topic faded out. LMK if there's interest in downloading and I'll put them back up.  I thought the initial designs were nice, but a little bland. They were very much trying to stick to the inherent design of the area -- traditional all-brick.  I'm usually a fan of that, but in this case I thought it was kind of too much of a good thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to see the vids.

#47 emerging.me

emerging.me

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:26 AM

Here ya go...

CanalSide - Initial Proposal Video Renderings

Overview
Taylor Street
Balcony
Esplanade

I'll leave these up for a few days.

#48 The_sandlapper

The_sandlapper

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:58 AM

That was awesome! I feel you on the whole brick thing though, it does kinda make it look a little bland, also they need to replace the trees with some palmettos, everybody loves palmettos! Anyway if I had some money I would definately purchase a townhome there! That area is about to blow up in a big way!

#49 Mr.Marc

Mr.Marc

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:29 PM

I'm new to this post, but I think Columbia needs to develop a better skyline with buildings taller than 25 stories tall. It's like SC is behind in times as a state when both of our neighbors have skylines that make ours look like a small town. The buildings Columbia have now are okay, but they need more, taller buildings.

Columbia also needs more malls and malls that have names that are thought out and not named after the city itself, which confuses out of towners.

And before anyone starts bashing me let me just say that I love Columbia, but I get jealous when our neighbors in Charlotte and Atlanta have access to professional sports teams and big name acts that always seem to skip SC and go from GA to NC.

#50 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

I'm new to this post, but I think Columbia needs to develop a better skyline with buildings taller than 25 stories tall. It's like SC is behind in times as a state when both of our neighbors have skylines that make ours look like a small town. The buildings Columbia have now are okay, but they need more, taller buildings.

Columbia also needs more malls and malls that have names that are thought out and not named after the city itself, which confuses out of towners.

And before anyone starts bashing me let me just say that I love Columbia, but I get jealous when our neighbors in Charlotte and Atlanta have access to professional sports teams and big name acts that always seem to skip SC and go from GA to NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We discourage bashing here, and those who bash generally regret that decision :)

Anyway- I agree that there is a bit of envy in SC towards what our neighbors have in terms of cities, but you have to remember that SC has small cities becuase it is a small state. It doesn't do well just to build things wiht out a reason (malls or skyscrapers). I think that Columbia has a fantasitc skyline, and over time it will develop in to something quite grand. It will take time though because you have to have growth before more malls and towers ven be put up.

On a similar note, I wonder if Lexingon County, Lower Richland or RNE will see a new mall in the near future (10 years).

#51 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compare the population of ATlanta and even Charlotte to Columbia and you see why the skyline is smaller. It will never catch up with those two cities. Overall I think Cola. has a lot of high rises for it's size.

#52 The_sandlapper

The_sandlapper

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:43 PM

Compare the population of ATlanta and even Charlotte to Columbia and you see why the skyline is smaller.  It will never catch up with those two cities.  Overall I think Cola. has a lot of high rises for it's size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree, Columbia may never catchup to present day Atlanta but I think Charlotte is reachable. Columbia's metro isn't too much smaller today than Charlotte was 20 years ago. Now Columbia may not reach the size of Charlotte in 20 years true, but I think the city really get's overlooked as far as its future. There is alot going on here and it will hit a population boom in the near future because it is following the same pattern many other mid-sized college towns did 10-15 years ago. It's hasn't made several list of "best places" for nothing ;) !

I do think however for its size we have enough malls (4), which is more than Greenville & Charleston. It's skyline could be taller, there is no reason states with smaller populations should have cities with taller skylines than us. I think it's just because their cities are larger (KY, OK, OR, NM, etc.).

Edited by The_sandlapper, 21 January 2005 - 12:25 AM.

#53 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:59 PM

Compare the population of ATlanta and even Charlotte to Columbia and you see why the skyline is smaller.  It will never catch up with those two cities.  Overall I think Cola. has a lot of high rises for it's size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Columbia's skyline is perfect for its size.

I do think however for its size we have enough malls (4), which is more than Greenville & Charleston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats interesting to me.

Greenville: 2 malls (Haywood, Greenville)
Columbia: 4 malls (Columbiana, Columbia Place, Dutch Square, Richland)
Charleston: 1 mall (Northwoods)

I had thought previously that Charleston had a mall in West Ashley, but I couldn't find anything about it. I find it odd that Charleston has only one mall considering how large it is.

#54 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:10 PM

I occurs to me that while Charleston doesn't two "malls" they do have a downtown shopping corridor that is unmatched by any other city in SC, so that could concievable take the place of a mall.

#55 The_sandlapper

The_sandlapper

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:19 AM

I'll agree with that. Columbia has 5points & The Vista, while Greenville has Main St. as an alternative to mall shopping this is of course without regard to the numerous strip malls.

#56 The_sandlapper

The_sandlapper

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:20 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum by the way!

#57 The_sandlapper

The_sandlapper

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

On a similar note, I wonder if Lexingon County, Lower Richland or RNE will see a new mall in the near future (10 years).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Lexington Co. has a good shot of seeing a mall within the next ten years. RNE and Kershaw have the village at Sandhill plus Columbia Place to feed of off for the next few years.

Sorry about the numerous post I just hit a manic phase!

Edited by The_sandlapper, 21 January 2005 - 12:28 AM.

#58 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

That was awesome! I feel you on the whole brick thing though, it does kinda make it look a little bland, also they need to replace the trees with some palmettos, everybody loves palmettos! Anyway if I had some money I would definately purchase a townhome there! That area is about to blow up in a big way!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you about the Palmettos...I think every tree planted in Columbia from this point forwarded should be the state tree - the Palmetto! As far as the brick, I think it was just used for the concept. I certainly hope every building won't look alike like that!

#59 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:21 AM

I had thought previously that Charleston had a mall in West Ashley, but I couldn't find anything about it. I find it odd that Charleston has only one mall considering how large it is.

Charleston has Northwoods and Citadel Square. It used to have Charles Towne Square, also, but it looked vacant the last time I drove by there, except for Glenn McConnell's ancient history store in the out parcels. lol

#60 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:54 AM

I'll agree with that. Columbia has 5points & The Vista, while Greenville has Main St. as an alternative to mall shopping this is of course without regard to the numerous strip malls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't consider 5points or the Vista as an alternative to the malls. They do have some good stores (Oops! Co.) but most are female oriented which does nothing for me. King St in Charleston is on a different level....

Charleston has Northwoods and Citadel Square. It used to have Charles Towne Square, also, but it looked vacant the last time I drove by there, except for Glenn McConnell's ancient history store in the out parcels. lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charles Towne Square has recently been rennovated or something. It has the nice new façade like Dutch Square. I have no clue what is going on there though. Never any cars parked there when I have been in that area. Glenn McConnell's store, CSA Galleries, is still there. That is a fantastic store if you are interested in SC history on any level. Its not all redneck confederate flag bs (though it does have some of it).

Is Citadel Square an actuall mall or is it a Woodhills type thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users