-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nashville Mass Transit

• Please log in to reply
2238 replies to this topic

#821 nashvylle

nashvylle

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Really hopes this happens, later transforming to streetcars.

http://www.tennessea...|text|FRONTPAGE

#822 FrankNash

FrankNash

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

The East-West BRT is one of the best cases for build it and they will come. Along with the sold out LP field,Bridgestone arena in the top 10 in the country,Top venue picked by both artist and concert goers Ryam auditorium,and now the music city center with above projected bookings shows that in Nashville more than not we build and they do come!

#823 timmay143

timmay143

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ugh, the naysayers. I hope they enjoy sitting in hours of traffic and a bus hits their car...:P j/k of course.

#824 built_ford_tough

built_ford_tough

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Ugh, the naysayers. I hope they enjoy sitting in hours of traffic and a bus hits their car... :P j/k of course.

I think my favorite was from the lady from Clarksville who didn't see how it would help people from outside of Nashville... Like why even ask that lady for a quote? It's not supposed to directly help you when you live an hour away.

Edited by built_ford_tough, 10 June 2012 - 04:25 PM.

• timmay143 likes this

#825 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

City

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

Overall it was not a bad article for the Tennessean. This is one of their veteran writers that has been around for a while. I can think if a couple of other ways to fund some of this and not sure if Metro can impose a separate gas tax in Davidson County, but that would generate revenue and also increasing the wheel tax and also a usage fee for miles driven in a year that would be tracked trough the Wheel tax and emission stations. Just trying to get right riled up here but there has to be a way to get a mass transit off the ground. I am starting to think like a liberal. OMG Help me. :dunno: :shok:

#826 timmay143

timmay143

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

I think my favorite was from the lady from Clarksville who didn't see how it would help people from outside of Nashville... Like why even ask that lady for a quote? It's not supposed to directly help you when you live an hour away.

I was thinking the same thing.

Overall it was not a bad article for the Tennessean. This is one of their veteran writers that has been around for a while. I can think if a couple of other ways to fund some of this and not sure if Metro can impose a separate gas tax in Davidson County, but that would generate revenue and also increasing the wheel tax and also a usage fee for miles driven in a year that would be tracked trough the Wheel tax and emission stations. Just trying to get right riled up here but there has to be a way to get a mass transit off the ground. I am starting to think like a liberal. OMG Help me. :dunno: :shok:

It was a good article for the most part. I'll try to post some on it when I get the chance.

#827 MTSUBlueraider86

MTSUBlueraider86

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

I always find it funny that words like Public, Mass Transit, and Cooperative are now "Uber-Liberal" According to the man who got his facts wrong, as most of them do, that Nashville's MSA is half of Orlando's, which according to him, was 1.3 million. This is wrong of course. Nashville's MSA is right under 1.6 million. If guys like him want to stay on the interstates and burn Saudi Arabian, Iranian, and Iraqi oil, he can be my guest and when gas is $10 a gallon, I don't want to hear him cry when I get too and from for about 90% cheaper than he pays!

#828 bwithers1

bwithers1

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

How about a parking tax? Gas prices are always shifting, so that's not a reliable tax base. But there is a finite number of parking spaces in the downtown/midtown area, which is the area that will be served by the BRT. That seems more fair to me - tax the folks who choose to drive downtown rather than take transit - than to tax everyone in Davidson County for something that they will never use, statistically speaking. Similarly, I would rather place a tax on properties in the zone surrounding the BRT route that include parking lots than tax everyone. It would essentially be a property tax that is specific to parking spaces (structured or not). So businesses that get all/most of their employees to take transit or walk/bike would be able to avoid the parking lot property tax assessment.

#829 fieldmarshaldj

fieldmarshaldj

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

^I think a parking tax is a bad idea. That would just have the result of being an incentive for folks/businesses not to go downtown, not to use alternative transit.

#830 nashvylle

nashvylle

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

agree. no to park tax

#831 bwithers1

bwithers1

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well, as I read it the current proposal calls for the possibility of creating a taxing zone to add an additional tax to all property owners near the BRT line. So that raises rents and creates a disincentive to own property or especially to develop new property or businesses near the BRT line. That's in addition to the existing special sales tax zone covering much of the same area.

My point is that prices for parking are going up anyway due to increased demand. So people are going to pay more and more to park anyway. And it's not like they are going to stop going to the symphony or TPAC or concerts at Bridgestone Arena. The library can continue to validate parking in their garage for those who do not walk or take transit. It's just that as that price goes up, the city can collect a percentage to help improve the infrastructure that makes getting around downtown more efficient for more people.

#832 nashville_bound

nashville_bound

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Downtown also has an extra property tax levy....add the new property tax increase....and a possible additional property tax levy for the BRT = hello Will Co or Belle Meade for me.

Spread the tax to everyone, including the tourist and visitors that are planning to use the transit or scrap the plan, IMO. That meant hotel/motel tax and or higher ticketing costs.

#833 producer2

producer2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Everybody always wants services, the problem is no one wants to pay for them.....
  • timmay143 likes this

#834 nashville_bound

nashville_bound

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

or...if no one wants to pay for the services then maybe the services are no necessary.....

#835 producer2

producer2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

how do you come to the conclusion that mass transit is not needed in a city our size? It already costs more to live in the suburbs and drive in to the city than paying to live here, so good luck with that....

#836 nashville_bound

nashville_bound

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

P2

I was merely following your post (thought) to its logical conclusion. I did not I argued against mass transit...big leap in logic on your part.

My post was not on the virtues of mass transit, there are some. It was on the method of funding for the proposed BRT East-West Line.

I certainly do not want to subsidize BRT riders via yet another special taxing district (property tax increase). If the service has a value then let the riders who utilize the service (i.e receive the benefit) pay the cost. If Metro feels the need to subsidize the service then it should come out of the general fund and not a special taxing district. For example, due to the proposed placement of stations, I will probably choose to utilize MTA regular service as opposed to the BRT service. Thus it will be of no use to me. If Metro chooses to limit of eliminate the existing MTA routes (3,5) then I use I will just drive....not sure how that will help the goal of less cars and more mass transit riders but there you are...

Edited by nashville_bound, 13 June 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#837 nashvylle

nashvylle

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

I agree with P2.

I disagree with the argument "the riders need to cover ALL the costs". it's just not that simple. People that are absolutely against any form of mass transit (not saying you are NashvilleBound) say that the ridership needs to cover costs or else we shouldn't do it, yet they never seem to realize how expensive it is to build highways/roads, etc.

It just makes no sense to me for Nashville NOT to invest heavily in mass transit.

1. Atlanta proves more interstates does not equal less traffic.
2. Oil is a limited resource, it won't last forever. America is way too dependent on foreign oil.
3. Electric cars are emerging, but only if you're willing to buy a new car for 30k.
4. Corporations do not want cities in which their employees only have their cars as a form of transit
5. Raising taxes is not a must when it comes to mass transit. We can simply divert some of the money that is used for MORE interstates and use it for mass transit (i.e. Portland)
6. Utilizing mass transit and living close to work saves individuals thousands each year
7. Investing in mass transit reduces the carbon footprint, does not destroy our beautiful Tennessee natural environment, and reduces urban sprawl
8. People that use mass transit will not be on the road and will eleviate traffic for those that HAVE to drive

Right now Nashville is saying to its residents and potential residents, "If you want to live here, you need to have a car. If you don't already have one, buy one. If gas prices go up, too bad"

Is that the message we want to be sending? We need to divert the ridiculous amounts of money for more roads and direct the money to mass transit. The smartest cities have live/work/play environments amongst the residents/corporations/entertainment. Nashville is seeing more people move back to the urban core, so now Nashville needs to invest in mass transit to bring even more people living in the city and saving money by not driving.

Edited by nashvylle, 13 June 2012 - 09:41 AM.

• producer2 likes this

#838 producer2

producer2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

P2

I was merely following your post (thought) to its logical conclusion. I did not I argued against mass transit...big leap in logic on your part.

My post was not on the virtues of mass transit, there are some. It was on the method of funding for the proposed BRT East-West Line.

I certainly do not want to subsidize BRT riders via yet another special taxing district (property tax increase). If the service has a value then let the riders who utilize the service (i.e receive the benefit) pay the cost. If Metro feels the need to subsidize the service then it should come out of the general fund and not a special taxing district. For example, due to the proposed placement of stations, I will probably choose to utilize MTA regular service as opposed to the BRT service. Thus it will be of no use to me. If Metro chooses to limit of eliminate the existing MTA routes (3,5) that I use I will just drive....not sure how that will help the goal of less cars and more mass transit riders but there you are...

IF there are not enough riders willing to pay the fare necessary to cover the operating costs required

I think that is the problem with our thinking in this country. If it doesn't suit me then I don't want to contribute. As a society we are also missing the point of mass transit. It should be part of the mix just as schools, garbage collection, and police are supported by all citizens. We (nashvillians) are paying for the sins of previous thinking. It's got to give sometime.
  • timmay143 likes this

#839 nashville_bound

nashville_bound

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Okay if it needs to be supported by all citizens a special taxing district is moot ... right? Tax all of Davidson County. Do you agree? And hell if it is such a great deal have the hotels and conventions chip in.... are you still on board? Let's speed the pain as far and wide and deep as possible.... for our own good and all...

Edited by nashville_bound, 13 June 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#840 nashvylle

nashvylle

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

A simple increase to the gas tax would work, or diverting money set for more interstates to mass transit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users