-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Columbia Buildings That Could Be Cool

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 TheCarolinaKing

TheCarolinaKing

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:44 AM

I like how you think! :blush:

#62 sojay

sojay

Whistle-Stop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:21 AM

I peaked through the windows and saw the hole in the ceiling for the pole, but no pole. I knew a gallery in Soho that had a firepole and the gallery owner used to make her entrance descending from her office on the balcony like that. Very dramatic. I tried it a few times, it's hard.

Those garage doors should definitely be all glass garage doors, so they can all be opened when weather allows it to connect the indoors with the outdoors.

#63 TheCarolinaKing

TheCarolinaKing

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

That would be hot. Let the party spill over into the steets! :yahoo:

#64 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

Was the old Gallery 701 gallery an old art gallery or furniture store? I think it would actually make for a nice new art gallery.

Posted Image

Edited by krazeeboi, 07 June 2006 - 05:29 PM.

#65 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

A night club would be really cool, with "pole" dancers :rofl:

LOL, it would be right around the corner from a similar establishment.

#66 BrasilnSC

BrasilnSC

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:43 AM

An art gallery would be cool, but I think something that creates
more pedestrian traffic would be better, especially with the mills right
across the street.

LOL, it would be right around the corner from a similar establishment.

In the Vista? :huh: Where?

Edited by BrasilnSC, 08 June 2006 - 07:44 AM.

#67 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

across the street.

True. It would also be good to see the mast arm and pole stoplight features come to that area of town.

#68 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

across the street.

In the Vista? :huh: Where?

:shades:

#69 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:09 AM

Well, it looks like you guys will be getting your wish about the old fire department HQ's. It will become apartments, condos, stores, and perhaps a museum in the Vista. Columbia is REALLY on a roll when it comes to adaptive reuse these days. This is the third building being advocated for reuse in recent weeks (Palmetto Compress & Warehouse Co. building and the Gallery 701 building are the others).

[Tom]Prioreschi said he could have made more money by razing the building, "but sometimes that's not appropriate."

"It's important to save all buildings that are historically significant to create a sense of place," he said. "We can buy empty land to build a condo tower. (Developers) need to do both."

A six-story condo tower is planned to be built in back using the department’s unique training tower as “a significant architectural feature.”

Somebody throw Prioreschi a party or somethin'!

Edited by krazeeboi, 13 July 2006 - 03:25 AM.

#70 CorgiMatt

CorgiMatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

Well, it looks like you guys will be getting your wish about the old fire department HQ's. It will become apartments, condos, stores, and perhaps a museum in the Vista. Columbia is REALLY on a roll when it comes to adaptive reuse these days. This is the third building being advocated for reuse in recent weeks (Palmetto Compress & Warehouse Co. building and the Gallery 701 building are the others).
A six-story condo tower is planned to be built in back using the departmentís unique training tower as ďa significant architectural feature.Ē

Somebody throw Prioreschi a party or somethin'!

Tom Prioreschi's son, who is with the company now, said they plan to bring 500 housing units to downtown within the next five years. They said they aren't going to stop.

#71 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:24 AM

Wow; that's awesome! I hope a residential mid-rise or even high-rise built from the ground up is in those plans.

I feel confident with Prioreschi doing this, as he has tons of experience with adapting historic structures to residential reuse as evidenced by Capital Place's projects on Main.

#72 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

I will say this again, someone please erect a monument to Prioreschi.

#73 emerging.me

emerging.me

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

I will say this again, someone please erect a monument to Prioreschi.

No lie! This is great news. And they get major props for reusing the training tower! :)

#74 waccamatt

waccamatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

No lie! This is great news. And they get major props for reusing the training tower! :)

I can't wait to see how they reuse the tower. I would SO love to live in that location in the middles of the Vista; how super would that be?

#75 JT Boy

JT Boy

Whistle-Stop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

Exactly. Mr. Prioreschi certainly is an urban angel for Columbia. Perhaps Mayor Coble should proclaim "Tom Prioreschi" day in the city...

#76 sojay

sojay

Whistle-Stop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

As I've stated before, I love that building and really think it has potential. I can't wait to find out more about their conceptual design. Who knows, maybe it'll be my future address....

#77 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

I know I mentioned this building in another thread on here (I think it was the "Downtown east of Main" thread), but here's an abandoned building on Sumter that I think is ripe for adaptive reuse; it surely doesn't look like it's being used now:

Posted Image

#78 Istvan

Istvan

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

^ does that building have an asbestos sign on the front? there's one like it on the north side of downtown that i saw while running that looks like it needs help.

i think the NBSC tower would make a good residential conversion; put a restaurant and retail on the larger ground floor. the upper levels have a good floor plate size for residential conversion, and it's a great location, and not directly next to noisy Gervais traffic like 1200 Main. NBSC could then move into SCANA's office space when they move out.

#79 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

I think I'd like to see Main between Hampton and Gervais remain largely corporate. The bulk of the residential needs to occur between Hampton and Laurel IMO.

#80 Istvan

Istvan

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

I think I'd like to see Main between Hampton and Gervais remain largely corporate. The bulk of the residential needs to occur between Hampton and Laurel IMO.

while i think the bulk will occur there, i'd also like it to be mixed/spread out. Lady is closer to USC after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users