pictures of the south portland bridge

pvenne

the old south portland draw bridge ("million dollar bridge")

bridge.jpg

the new casco bay bridge (over $130 million).

cascobay.jpg

skyline view of portland from over the fore river on top of new bridge

IMG_0498.JPG

good shot of the city from above while the draw bridge is up for a ship

bridgeup.jpg

another good aerial

psp.jpg

from the inside

webCascoBayL.jpg

pedestrians en-route to portland across casco bay

cbb_kidsbiker.jpg

cbb_bledsoe.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've gotta love the 130 million dollar bridge. In case anyone was wondering why it's so curvy, they designed it so it would have a mininmal impact on the enviornment or something.

Here's a view from South Portland, coming up the pedestrian walkway. Note the Scotia Prince at it's former home.

skylinefrombridgeday7lo.jpg

And you can make out the bridge from this shot above the Old Port

middlefromgarage8lb.jpg

You've gotta love the 130 million dollar bridge. In case anyone was wondering why it's so curvy, they designed it so it would have a mininmal impact on the enviornment or something.

Here's a view from South Portland, coming up the pedestrian walkway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow. that first shot is beautiful. ive never been on the ped walk-way. did you take that pic? also, i was just wondering why the hell that bridge doesnt just go straight across the water like the old one. it is SO CURVY. so thanks for readin gmy mind. i think they should have made it a little more aesthetically appealing, like added lights to the underside or something for the night, like they did to the new boston Zakim bridge. but oh well, probably would have been too expensive. i love driving real fast across that thing, its like a race track. and you get good views of the city if your a passenger...too dangerous to look if youre driving... thanks corey.

here are some more good pics from and of and on the bridge...:

portfrombridge5k.jpg

IMG_0476.JPG

baymist_bridge.jpg

cbb_wheelchairs.jpg

cbb_crossers.jpg

greenway_Sep2599.jpg

this is during construction. note the old bridge underneath it.

maine2.jpg

I've never been on the new bridge, but I used to love walking over the old Million Dollar Bridge. Great sunset views of the Portland skyline from South Portland. The last time I drove over the Million Dollar Bridge was when it was under the new one, and they had all those barriers up and lane closures, it was pretty weird driving under the new bridge.

Archived