Fort Smith, AR

Aporkalypse

I haven't heard much about what's going on in Ft Smith lately. You guys have a lot of history and a classy, well-done downtown area. I'm impressed with what you've done since the tornado. Somebody needs to step up for this area on here, in many ways Ft Smith has as much to offer as any part of the state and is as urban as any city other than Little Rock.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard much about what's going on in Ft Smith lately. You guys have a lot of history and a classy, well-done downtown area. I'm impressed with what you've done since the tornado. Somebody needs to step up for this area on here, in many ways Ft Smith has as much to offer as any part of the state and is as urban as any city other than Little Rock.

Yeah I have been hoping someone from Ft Smith would show up. It would be nice to hear more from Arkansas' second biggest city. From what I've heard, it sounds like they've been slowly working on their downtown area and that it's becoming a pretty nice place.

Yeah I have been hoping someone from Ft Smith would show up. It would be nice to hear more from Arkansas' second biggest city. From what I've heard, it sounds like they've been slowly working on their downtown area and that it's becoming a pretty nice place.

They were a few years ahead of Little Rock with downtown modernization/renovation. At one point about a decade ago it was quite a bit nicer than Dickson.

It is a shame that Ft Smith doesn't get any respect like the newer rapid growth cities have gotten. People don't realize it but Ft Smith is growing, but it just gets overshadowed by northwest Arkansas' growth. But yes they've been doing a good job on their downtown area for a while now. I'm still hoping we get a Ft Smith forumer who will actually stick around to help inform us.

It is a shame that Ft Smith doesn't get any respect like the newer rapid growth cities have gotten. People don't realize it but Ft Smith is growing, but it just gets overshadowed by northwest Arkansas' growth. But yes they've been doing a good job on their downtown area for a while now. I'm still hoping we get a Ft Smith forumer who will actually stick around to help inform us.

The problem is it's not really growing all that much, though it's not regressing like Pine Bluff.

I've seen a lot of Ft Smith and most of it is quite nice. If you haven't been to the downtown area it really is impressive.

The problem is it's not really growing all that much, though it's not regressing like Pine Bluff.

I've seen a lot of Ft Smith and most of it is quite nice. If you haven't been to the downtown area it really is impressive.

Maybe I'll have to make a little trip down there sometime. Any comparisons to say something the the Square in Fayetteville?

Awesome!!!

Don't get your hopes up just yet. I'm not sure when I'll make it down there. It may not be too long before it starts getting cold and feeling more like winter. I may end up waiting till spring if that happens. I've heard that Van Buren to the north has a nice old downtown area. Anyone know much about it? If I stop in Ft Smith a trip to Van Buren should be in the works too I think.

Don't get your hopes up just yet. I'm not sure when I'll make it down there. It may not be too long before it starts getting cold and feeling more like winter. I may end up waiting till spring if that happens. I've heard that Van Buren to the north has a nice old downtown area. Anyone know much about it? If I stop in Ft Smith a trip to Van Buren should be in the works too I think.

Haven't seen much of Van Buren except on the way to Ft. Smith.

If you do go to Fort Smith, some good restaurants are Varsity Sports Grill and Bella Italia.

I'm pretty sure the tourist train that runs on the A&M Railroad goes from Springdale to Van Buren, not Ft Smith. I think they give people a chance to get out at Van Buren and take a look at the downtown area before it heads back to northwest Arkansas.

I haven't been on the train, but it does sound like a nice concept and a partnership between NW Arkansas and the River Valley.

Maybe I'll have to make a little trip down there sometime. Any comparisons to say something the the Square in Fayetteville?

More of a long strip like Dickson with larger buildings than a square like Fayetteville or Bentonville. There's a lot more there because in the old days it was a much bigger town but there are more run-down buildings than Fayetteville where everything is occupied and mostly renovated.

The old museums are great, the old Hangin' Judge Isaac Parker's jail and gallows, etc are set up as a nice museum.

More of a long strip like Dickson with larger buildings than a square like Fayetteville or Bentonville. There's a lot more there because in the old days it was a much bigger town but there are more run-down buildings than Fayetteville where everything is occupied and mostly renovated.

The old museums are great, the old Hangin' Judge Isaac Parker's jail and gallows, etc are set up as a nice museum.

That is a pretty nice museum. I've been to it. I liked the the exhibit that showd the jail and what it looked like back then.

• 3 weeks later...