Charlotte Nightlife

Mobuchu

Just wanted to share that Zink, the retaurant/bar on tryon, had record sales the night of the rolling stones concert. I was told many bars were crammed that night and im sure others had record sales as well, but can only confirm Zink.

It just goes to show what an impact the arena will have on uptown. If you look at the schedule on charlottebobcatsarena.com there will be an event there 15-25 times a month. And this is during the winter when business is slow for most places. We just made a huge leap forward in the foot traffic uptown but were not ready for it. Hopefully this will ignite a fire under people like Levine to step up and fill in to meet the demand. With the arena, condo towers, 5k J&W students, etc, things should move forward at an increasing rate.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to share that Zink, the retaurant/bar on tryon, had record sales the night of the rolling stones concert. I was told many bars were crammed that night and im sure others had record sales as well, but can only confirm Zink.

It just goes to show what an impact the arena will have on uptown. If you look at the schedule on charlottebobcatsarena.com there will be an event there 15-25 times a month. And this is during the winter when business is slow for most places. We just made a huge leap forward in the foot traffic uptown but were not ready for it. Hopefully this will ignite a fire under people like Levine to step up and fill in to meet the demand. With the arena, condo towers, 5k J&W students, etc, things should move forward at an increasing rate.

thanks for the info, mo. i am certain that the arena's crowds will serve well to improve the success of restaurants and clubs and pubs downtown. that, in turn, will increase the numbers and quality of the food and nightlife. as that improves, it will help bring and keep people in charlotte.

i was talking to a bartender tonight and she said that she probably wasnt going to stay here because the nightlife wasn't very exciting. hopefully in a few years, those comments will disappear.

i was talking to a bartender tonight and she said that she probably wasnt going to stay here because the nightlife wasn't very exciting. hopefully in a few years, those comments will disappear.

I think that when people are looking for good nightlife, they are looking for something a bit grittier and a bit more exciting than the upscale restaurants and bars found in downtown Charlotte. Think SoHo (the London one), or the former French Quarter in NO, or Duval St. in Key West, etc. The people want dance clubs, beatnik coffee houses, corner pubic houses, stip clubs, underground places. The things that don't fit in well with downtown's squeeky clean image. There used to be a pretty good scene developing a few years just past Cosmo on College st, but they came and tore all those buildings down.

Charlotte needs an area like this but the problem is that it gets gentrified away.

I think that when people are looking for good nightlife, they are looking for something a bit grittier and a bit more exciting than the upscale restaurants and bars found in downtown Charlotte. Think SoHo (the London one), or the former French Quarter in NO, or Duval St. in Key West, etc. The people want dance clubs, beatnik coffee houses, corner pubic houses, stip clubs, underground places. The things that don't fit in well with downtown's squeeky clean image. There used to be a pretty good scene developing a few years just past Cosmo on College st, but they came and tore all those buildings down.

Charlotte needs an area like this but the problem is that it gets gentrified away.

I agree with you. A more "grittier" nightlife scene is something I hope Charlotte developes over the next decade.

It's probably still out there, but not located in any one single place. When I was going out, the more interesting places would be located in old abandoned strip malls where there would be several clubs and bars an on the weekends there would be thousands out and about. Lots of fun. Do these kind of places still exist in the city?

The people want dance clubs, beatnik coffee houses, corner pubic houses, stip clubs, underground places. The things that don't fit in well with downtown's squeeky clean image.

i agree, charlotte is too squeeky clean for corner pubic houses.

:rofl:

yeah, there is definitely a need for diversity of socializing places or "third" places for people to go. but also, critical mass is important, even if they are just regular bars, they become cool bars by having a decent amount of people inside of them, preferable people you like to be around or hook up with.

yeah. but it was an amusing typo considering.

as far as pubs go, the area around 5th and Tryon seems to have a growing number of decent pubs. connelly's and rira are irish pubs that are pretty popular, and there are a few others on that block that are slightly different, but are still fairly good for having a few drinks between work and a show.

But no question, even though there are places, and the crowds are increasing, and the number of different places is increasing, the uptown nightlife still focusses pretty heavily on kinds of people that work uptown, which isn't too gritty these days.

I don't know about you guy's but I like Phil's on 5th. There could not be a better place to drink a beer IMO. The environment is cozy, and everytime I have gone I have had a Blast. Let's get some more places like that.

A2

(on a side note the staff is the BEST in Charlotte. PERIOD. (I know many of you on this thread would concur.)

Actually when I posted that, I was thinking of RiRa's as being exactly the type of place that we need less of downtown. In other words, where do all the construction workers in downtown go to have a drink? We need more of that.

plaza-midwood. you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

plaza-midwood. you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Yeah definately. Great area. Especially around Thomas street. It actually feels like I am in Philly when I am around that area. Between the Dish and Penguin for food and Thomas Street tavern for Brewskies, you can't beat it.

A2

I'm not quite sure what you people mean by "grit," but I think there are plenty of great places in Charlotte. They just aren't in a centralized location, and surely aren't downtown. Community hot-spots are often the best places to go, and downtown is more of a destination than a community. At least for now. Plaza-Midwood has been mentioned, and it's a good example. I think Flying Saucer in University is great in that it sort of pulls in folks from the neighborhood. The name plate on the wall thing tends to turn people into regulars.

Somebody define "grit."

I'm not quite sure what you people mean by "grit," but I think there are plenty of great places in Charlotte. They just aren't in a centralized location, and surely aren't downtown. Community hot-spots are often the best places to go, and downtown is more of a destination than a community. At least for now. Plaza-Midwood has been mentioned, and it's a good example. I think Flying Saucer in University is great in that it sort of pulls in folks from the neighborhood. The name plate on the wall thing tends to turn people into regulars.

Somebody define "grit."

when i think of "grit"... i think of a place that has a little diversity. i like to see blue and white collared drinking @ the same bar. i like it when the bartender knows some of the people who walk in the door. and yes, i think charlotte has plenty of these type of places... not so many uptown. i don't think of "grit" when i think of chain bars or a bar that requires you to tuck in your shirt. this is just my opinion.

do you guys remember when the "moonroom" was uptown? or "521" by the tryon house?

It's probably still out there, but not located in any one single place. When I was going out, the more interesting places would be located in old abandoned strip malls where there would be several clubs and bars an on the weekends there would be thousands out and about. Lots of fun. Do these kind of places still exist in the city?

Montford Dr. I know I bring it up often but I think this is what you are talking about. Some on here have been there too and know what I mean. Moosehead, Angry Al's, Jeffs bucket shop, Press Box, The Room (although I haven't been there in a long time and dont know what the new owners have done with the place), and Sir Ed's is around the corner. Plus Fairview Grill is down the street. A very wide variety in these places all within walking distance.

when i think of "grit"... i think of a place that has a little diversity. i like to see blue and white collared drinking @ the same bar. i like it when the bartender knows some of the people who walk in the door. and yes, i think charlotte has plenty of these type of places... not so many uptown. i don't think of "grit" when i think of chain bars or a bar that requires you to tuck in your shirt. this is just my opinion.

do you guys remember when the "moonroom" was uptown? or "521" by the tryon house?

There is some serious GRIT action happening at the French Quarter in Uptown. I used to go every Wednesday for dollar beer night, but have stopped because of a schedule conflict. It is in heart the of Uptown off of Church, inside of the Latta Arcade. Check it out sometime. BTW, I recommend the salt and pepper chicken wings w/ ranch dipping sauce. They are the best in CLT and go great with a $1 beer in an ice covered mug. When you are done at the FQ, head over to Angry Ale's. It is the most violent spot for drinking when Panther games are on. I thought the Panthers had more of a wine and cheese crowd, but after I got a chance to check out Angry Ale's one Sunday I realized we have some Philadelphia Eagle blood running through the veins of some of our fans. All I can say is do not root for the oposing team, or things could get bad and quick :w00t: .

A2

Well-said dubone. I have to agree w/u...you made some very valid points. At this point in the city's lifespan, Charlotte shouldn't/doesn't have to worry about competing w/Greensboro for such matters. Charlotte is the largest market in both Carolinas and will continue to attract the national/international venues on that basis alone.

The problem Charlotte has had and will probably continue to have when it comes to concerts is not attracting the big top 40 names... I'm sure the arena will do just fine drawing them. It's attracting the national/international acts that are NOT played on 95.1. Every single concert tour (other than a few classic rock ones) that I would like to see has passed through Charlotte in the 5 years that I've lived here. Groups like Wilco, Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Calexico, the Wrens, Stereolab, Sigur Ros, Tortoise... huh uh, forget it. It's off to Chapel Hill, Asheville, and sometimes Winston-Salem if I want to see any halfway interesting modern music. Charlotte needs a good mid-sized venue to attract a more diverse arsenal of music that will appeal much more to the "creative class" that we're supposed to be trying to attract than Nickelback and Destiny's Child. Actually I know quite a few people that have avoided moving to Charlotte for this VERY reason.

The problem Charlotte has had and will probably continue to have when it comes to concerts is not attracting the big top 40 names... I'm sure the arena will do just fine drawing them. It's attracting the national/international acts that are NOT played on 95.1. Every single concert tour (other than a few classic rock ones) that I would like to see has passed through Charlotte in the 5 years that I've lived here. Groups like Wilco, Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Calexico, the Wrens, Stereolab, Sigur Ros, Tortoise... huh uh, forget it. It's off to Chapel Hill, Asheville, and sometimes Winston-Salem if I want to see any halfway interesting modern music. Charlotte needs a good mid-sized venue to attract a more diverse arsenal of music that will appeal much more to the "creative class" that we're supposed to be trying to attract than Nickelback and Destiny's Child. Actually I know quite a few people that have avoided moving to Charlotte for this VERY reason.

could not agree with you more. the problem is when one of these bands is being booked - they are definently going to atlanta and either chapel hill or asheville. these are proven markets... charlotte is large enough but inconsistent in supporting these acts. out of all the bands you've mentioned the only one that ever played here (in a non-arena setting), to my knowledge, was stereolab @ tremont. which was a sold out show, BTW. most of these bands require contracts for a financial guarantee. i know for a fact that tremont was fearful of getting bands here under the asumption they would pull in a large crowd. its kind of a catch 22, b/c i think that if charlotte could book more of these type of shows consistently, then the crowd would become more consistent. but, that is a risk. in the meantime, i think that the orangepeel in asheville is the best venue in the state to watch a show, not to mention its in a neat town. it gives me a chance to explore ol' north carolina.

Archived