St. Cecilia Motherhouse - Nashville

Skyscrapergeek

I thought everyone might like to see some interior shots of the new chapel at St. Cecilia Motherhouse here in Nashville. My company represents the manufacturer that created and installed the custom choir stalls and pews. All of the furniture is solid cherry and cherry veneers. It is an amazing space. The pics don't do this room justice. All I had was my digital with no extra lighting. We are in the process of restoring their original stained glass windows for the old chapel. I'll post some pictures of those after they are installed if anyone is interested.

DSCN2705.jpg

DSCN2711.jpg

DSCN2706.jpg

DSCN2708.jpg

DSCN2742.jpg

DSCN2750.jpg

DSCN2733.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching these new buildings and wondering what the interior would look like. I know this is just a portion, but it looks like no expense was spared. I love the fact that the new additions complement the old so well. Any idea when the old La Quinta bites the dust. It's becoming so much more of an insult to those beautiful buildings as the new construction approaches completion. Historical design mixed with teal and pink don't quite get it. I know it's going. I'm just anxious to see to go. Thanks for sharing those. The place is beautiful. Ooooo. Ahhhhhh.

I've been watching these new buildings and wondering what the interior would look like. I know this is just a portion, but it looks like no expense was spared. I love the fact that the new additions complement the old so well. Any idea when the old La Quinta bites the dust. It's becoming so much more of an insult to those beautiful buildings as the new construction approaches completion. Historical design mixed with teal and pink don't quite get it. I know it's going. I'm just anxious to see to go. Thanks for sharing those. The place is beautiful. Ooooo. Ahhhhhh.

Yeah, I know it is a major dump. The Sisters were using it for office space and housing while construction was going on. That is where we had all of our construction meetings. I think it is supposed to come down very soon. I'll get an update.

Funny story about that place. One afternoon before one of our meetings, we had a young couple walk into the office (which would have been the motel lobby). They looked around with seriously confused expressions :unsure: and in a wonderful Carolina accent said, "Oh, this ain't a hotel no more is it?!?" :blush: The odd thing was, they had to drive through the construction gate to get there. :blink:

That's an awesome interior. It feels so rich. I get a feeling of warmth and comfort just looking at it. Thanks for the pics!

Yeah, it's a great space. The designer/liturgical consultant did a wonderful job. I don't know if you've been in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on Central there in Memphis. (See below) It's really worth the visit. We handled all the furniture for them as well. They restored every surface of that church from floor to ceiling about five years ago. Amazing is all I can say. Glad you liked the pics.

Picture3.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

SG

What a great sanctuary! Design is very similar to The Cathedral of the Incarnation on West End where I was married. Very inspirational.

Thanks for posting.

You're very welcome. Incarnation is truly beautiful as well. I'm Baptist and I wish our's were half as inspirational. That is what I love about my job. I get to see and be exposed to so many wonderful denominations. Catholic churches tend to be my favorite.

beautiful pics. the only thing that gets me is how much money that could have been used elsewhere. it is very beautiful nonetheless.

Satalac, I hear that asked from time to time. My response would simply be, the Sister truly believe that this structure is dedicated to the glory of God and not themselves. They did not take the scale or cost of any of the materials lightly. It reminds me of the story from the Gospel of John chapter 12. They scrutinized every decision with far more responsibility and love than any government agency could hope. They spent years raising the money of which all was dedicated in good faith to this specific project. If this structure had not been built the money would not have been there. The Sisters do much much more for charity through fund raising, teaching and the dedication of their lives than of any organization or group that I know. Satalac, I am in no way trying to be contentious or confrontational and I hope I'm not placing any unintended meaning to your post but I guess you could say that I am defending the Sisters' motives and judgement. Without the Sisters of St. Cecilia, our community and region would be a far more needy place.

Satalac, I hear that asked from time to time. My response would simply be, the Sister truly believe that this structure is dedicated to the glory of God and not themselves. They did not take the scale or cost of any of the materials lightly. It reminds me of the story from the Gospel of John chapter 12. They scrutinized every decision with far more responsibility and love than any government agency could hope. They spent years raising the money of which all was dedicated in good faith to this specific project. If this structure had not been built the money would not have been there. The Sisters do much much more for charity through fund raising, teaching and the dedication of their lives than of any organization or group that I know. Satalac, I am in no way trying to be contentious or confrontational and I hope I'm not placing any unintended meaning to your post but I guess you could say that I am defending the Sisters' motives and judgement. Without the Sisters of St. Cecilia, our community and region would be a far more needy place.

i know you're not being confrontational and i appreciate you giving me a very well thought out and intelligent answer. it does help me not wonder about spending all that money on it. the sisters are great leaders in this community and sounds like they have worked very hard on this project. thank you for taking your time to clarify this with me.

Well said, SSG. Let's also not overlook all the jobs that were created with this building. It obviously took very skilled craftsmen to build this sanctuary.

One more thing... what happened to the old chapel that the nuns used. Back when I was in college, a friend of mine was married in that chapel. It was quite an impressive setting. He was a marine, and with all the military regalia, the wedding was beautiful. I remember that the room was in impeccable shape. Amazing when you consider that the building is 100 years old.

One more thing... what happened to the old chapel that the nuns used. Back when I was in college, a friend of mine was married in that chapel. It was quite an impressive setting. He was a marine, and with all the military regalia, the wedding was beautiful. I remember that the room was in impeccable shape. Amazing when you consider that the building is 100 years old.

ATLBrain, that is an excellent point about the jobs created. There were some incredibly talented people invovled with this project. The original chapel and Motherhouse are being renovated. We are restoring their original stained glass windows and creating some new mahogany frames as well. I've heard a lot of great stories from the Sisters. The Motherhouse was occupied during the Civil War and the Sisters were moved upstairs while the first floor was used as headquarters for the Union army. The Sisters are true historians and are a wealth of knowledge.

I should have some really good pics of the skyline from the top floor when we install the windows in February. Also, I'll try to post a picture of the old chapel for comparison.

Archived