Future Skyline Renderings

Rickydavisfan21

post-1742-1143065066_thumb.jpg

This was taken by dubone and edited by me, it includes, Wachovia Hq(with its condo tower), Berkman, a sliver of trademark, and avenue, the vue, 210 trade (with aloft) , twelve, the park, ritz carlton

I started this topic because there were a lot of people who did not see it apparently in the other topic it was in.

post-1742-1143065066_thumb.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So at this point what are the odds of Berkman happening?

Well, he was including proposed buildings in there.

The developer of Berkman, Camden Management, has a contract to buy the site. They have experience with this type of project, so my guess is that they will succeed in predicting costs to a reasonable degree. The city council is also firmly behind the project, and voted to aprove the sale and the STIF. Now all that needs to happen are CTPS needs to raise renovation funds, and Camden needs to get financing, which likely includes the need to presell units.

It all could be ended if no one buys, but given these are in the heart of uptown, with a Tryon address, and a block from Hearst and BofA Corporate, I doubt they will have trouble.

Is the contrast from downtown to suburbia really as dramatic as it appears in some of the above pictures? I've never been to downtown Charlotte, just driven by on the interstate, but was impressed by the height of the skyscrapers. It looks like the downtown goes from 20 to 60 or so story towers to all single or double story buildings just blocks away from the core and resembles suburbia with open parking lots and even empty fields.

Is the contrast from downtown to suburbia really as dramatic as it appears in some of the above pictures? I've never been to downtown Charlotte, just driven by on the interstate, but was impressed by the height of the skyscrapers. It looks like the downtown goes from 20 to 60 or so story towers to all single or double story buildings just blocks away from the core and resembles suburbia with open parking lots and even empty fields.

I think Charlotte's skyline is much more compact than other cities, but it should be getting better soon. With projects like the citidan and the Vue, it should be expanding a little more. I am not sure why it is as compact as it is, but I guess it is because of 277 enclosing it. There is talk about capping one portion of it and therefore I think it will expand out that way a bit. I want to see it keep expand in the east/west direction though. In years to come, there will be less and less parking lots and more and more towers. That is my 2 cents worth.

I think Charlotte's skyline is much more compact than other cities, but it should be getting better soon. With projects like the citidan and the Vue, it should be expanding a little more. I am not sure why it is as compact as it is, but I guess it is because of 277 enclosing it. There is talk about capping one portion of it and therefore I think it will expand out that way a bit. I want to see it keep expand in the east/west direction though. In years to come, there will be less and less parking lots and more and more towers. That is my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the input. The density in the core appears great. That's want you want in a city. It seems like mid rise residential ringing the city core might be a good transition.

I think Charlotte's skyline is much more compact than other cities, but it should be getting better soon...

I think you should embrace the compactness. Back in the 1970's, Minneapolis developed a master planning strategy that dictated that all future large-scale developments should occur close to the "core" of the city (defined to be the corner of 7th Street and the Nicollet Mall), and radiating outward from that point. What has come to pass in the 30 years since this decree is an intensely dense core that is home to 150,000 day workers. It has become a "walkable" downtown.

The result is that it has spawned countless mom-and-pop eating establishments that cater to the day trade and has sustained major stores such as Marshall Fields, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Target and Ralph Lauren. Several hundred smaller retailers also feed off of this day trade. Charlotte, with its educated and affluent populace should be able to accomplish something quite similar.

While Minneapolis' downtown core is further strengthened by a vast network of pedestrian skyways, Charlotte - with a far milder climate - probably doesn't need this additional layer of urbanity. (Lucky beotchs! :D) Nonethelesss Charlotte will clearly benefit if city leaders adopt a strategy of growth that embraces density and compactness.

What is the urban design strategy of Charlotte today?

right outside of uptown, near Elizabeth and Queens there are tons of midrises and 5 story apartment/condo buildings. there is also Southpark with its midrises, and it is 10 miles from uptown. if actually go into Charlotte, especially near uptown you will see tons of condo buildings, mixed use, and office parks that are fairly dense when you realize it. Charlotte is actually urban friendly in the sense that they encourage this kind of mid rise growth outside of uptown.

well the strategy, at least unoffically, was to build dense along Tryon and College. What we got was a dense skyline, but at the expense of almost everything old being leveled. Had the skyscrapers been spread out more, there's a chance more older structures would remain. Tryon might look more like Fayetteville St in Raleigh, with a few tall buildings and some older ones.

Archived