Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

Seems to me that they are always a day late and a dollar short. I get the feeling that each time an endangered property is mentioned to Anne Roberts, she gives the impression that she'd never heard of it. I suppose hers is an impossible job considering the rights of the property owners. However, it seems that the preservationists' approach is generally hostile toward the owners' rights. Can anybody here give me examples of cooperative ventures between preservationists and developers in Nashville?

One thing comes to mind at the moment... it's the preservation of Five Points in East Nashville. Has anybody from Roberts' group or Rick Barhardt committee done anything to preserve the historic feel of that area? What could they do to get the park built on Main Street at the Carnegie Library? Have any of them proposed a historic overlay? It seems that they should get ahead of the curve rather than fighting everything that comes up with new buildings.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Broadway historic overlay would have been in place long ago had the property owners been on board when initially proposed years ago. I believe 70 percent of an areas property owners need to agree to the overlay before one can be applied.

I'm not sure about Five Points in particular, but I know it does border Lockeland Springs, Edgefield and Eastwood historic districts, so I'm guessing something is in place to protect that pocket as well. There are many such districts throughout the city.

The application of historic overlays is nothing new and is working well. The Broadway proposal was so well publicized because of its reactionary nature as opposed to a proactive placement. The skirmish over the Westin wouldn't have happened if the overlay had already been in place. It was never done because of a lack of property owner support in the past. That has now changed.

The MHC and other entities' work is done every day, just not always on such a public stage. Reynolds and Bernhardt should be applauded for their efforts. If it weren't for these districts and the work of Planning and the MHC, Nashville would be a very different looking place and it would be nowhere near as interesting as it is now.

Here's a link to the historic overlay districts, their guidelines, boundaries, examples of architecture, appropriate and inappropriate demolition, additions, etc.

http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/mhzc_main.htm

i sent an email to emporis, and got a quick answer back (same day). i let them know the building was approved, so it shows approved on the site now. all they request to make changes to a building or something in your city, is some type of news article or something to back up your email.

• 2 months later...

Wow this along with the Crown/Pinnacle, The Rythem, Possibly Siggy, Hopefully more at the WES and Possibly a late summer/fall Velocity, and the bus hub should make for a very active next couple of months. Nice to see some of these projects finally moving.

Trail West Has Officially moved to it's new home just south of Broad on second ave

Oh and did anyone else catch the Mayors address or read about it in the paper????? I read an interesting snipit of it and he is allocating I think 11 million dollars for the African American Heritage Museum or whatever it's called. Could we finally see this one happen too?????

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately Councilman Leo Waters has said the Westin is now dead! Sage hospitality has been recruiting people for the general manager position from several hospitality groups in town, but Westin has pulled out so the Hotel is now un-named and no condo's have been sold, so before anything can be done including demolition, construction, etc... a new hotel needs to be announced.

I spoke with Ann Roberts of the Nashville Historical Commission, and although this project falls in line with Mike Jameson's district, she did not know who the new hotel would be. Her group was opposed to the project, but she said Sage Hospitality will be surveying the buildings and block next week. So who really knows, but the demise of the Sounds project and the possible move of the Nashville Predators to Canada may have something to do with it.

If the Westin does indeed back out, there may be another hotel to come in, but at last count there were close to 50,000+ hotel rooms in Davidson County. How many new hotels do we need?

Well, unfortunately Councilman Leo Waters has said the Westin is now dead! Sage hospitality has been recruiting people for the general manager position from several hospitality groups in town, but Westin has pulled out so the Hotel is now un-named and no condo's have been sold, so before anything can be done including demolition, construction, etc... a new hotel needs to be announced.

I spoke with Ann Roberts of the Nashville Historical Commission, and although this project falls in line with Mike Jameson's district, she did not know who the new hotel would be. Her group was opposed to the project, but she said Sage Hospitality will be surveying the buildings and block next week. So who really knows, but the demise of the Sounds project and the possible move of the Nashville Predators to Canada may have something to do with it.

If the Westin does indeed back out, there may be another hotel to come in, but at last count there were close to 50,000+ hotel rooms in Davidson County. How many new hotels do we need?

Maybe they need to rethink they Metro Council. They seem more interested in getting headlines on English only crap and sound bites about schools than addressing important city issues. I feel the problem is that maybe the Metro Council time has come and gone. Example, why should council members from Belle Meade and Green Hills be deciding development in Nashville's CBD? Isn't it time for a Nashville CBD Council?

Maybe they need to rethink they Metro Council. They seem more interested in getting headlines on English only crap and sound bites about schools than addressing important city issues. I feel the problem is that maybe the Metro Council time has come and gone. Example, why should council members from Belle Meade and Green Hills be deciding development in Nashville's CBD? Isn't it time for a Nashville CBD Council?

Your correct, I guess that is the biggest issue going on in his district. lol

My point is that metro members can vote on zoning issues that have no impact in their districts. I understand there are tax issues that effect the metro budget but how does a buildings height effect Green Hills and etc?

If we've lost the Westin, I would put the biggest blame on the Sounds deals falling apart. I'm thinking the Westin wanted to have that very, very important project up and moving before investing in Nashville. If I'm right then the blame extends to the Sounds, to SBER, the Council, and especially to Purcell. This entire turn of events in the lower Broadway area is incredibly disturbing to me and leaves a terribly bad taste in my mouth. :sick:

Well the whole Sounds/SBER/Westin debacle is just an example of over cautious Nashville..again! The Metro Council has been a constant disappointment, and state legislators like Thelma Harper who refused to vote on the Jack Daniels store and restuarant in the old Acme Feed Store building on 1st and Broad because she was not consulted first was another example of politics (and new hats) first.

We consistently elect people in local and state government that are simply not qualified. Our new non smoking bill is meaningless because you can still smoke anywhere alcohol is served. No smoking in the workplace is meaningless by the way it is worded. We are one of the few states that still allows indoor smoking. So how is it a surprise that all of these Sobro projects are falling through? We won't see a new convention center either since Gaylord is expanding. Face it, Downtown Nashville will not be much better if ALL of these projects are not built. People will not want to live downtown if there is nothing to do...hence, more expansion in the suburbs like Nashville West, another reason not to build a shopping area downtown.

I love the Pinnacle starting this week, but unfortunately it is an 8-5 building. Signature/Kimpton Hotel is an overpriced hotel and the condo's are for the mega rich. We need a downtown development for the average Nashvillian, and with no baseball park, the Predators leaving, and most likely no new multi use buildings like a convention center, why go downtown unless you like Honky Tonks, the Symphony (if you can afford it), or Titans football?

Urbnanists like us will, but your average working Nashvillian does not go to TPAC, the Symphony, The Ryman or any of the "high brow" events.

Well the whole Sounds/SBER/Westin debacle is just an example of over cautious Nashville..again! The Metro Council has been a constant disappointment, and state legislators like Thelma Harper who refused to vote on the Jack Daniels store and restuarant in the old Acme Feed Store building on 1st and Broad because she was not consulted first was another example of politics (and new hats) first.

We consistently elect people in local and state government that are simply not qualified. Our new non smoking bill is meaningless because you can still smoke anywhere alcohol is served. No smoking in the workplace is meaningless by the way it is worded. We are one of the few states that still allows indoor smoking. So how is it a surprise that all of these Sobro projects are falling through? We won't see a new convention center either since Gaylord is expanding. Face it, Downtown Nashville will not be much better if ALL of these projects are not built. People will not want to live downtown if there is nothing to do...hence, more expansion in the suburbs like Nashville West, another reason not to build a shopping area downtown.

I love the Pinnacle starting this week, but unfortunately it is an 8-5 building. Signature/Kimpton Hotel is an overpriced hotel and the condo's are for the mega rich. We need a downtown development for the average Nashvillian, and with no baseball park, the Predators leaving, and most likely no new multi use buildings like a convention center, why go downtown unless you like Honky Tonks, the Symphony (if you can afford it), or Titans football?

Urbnanists like us will, but your average working Nashvillian does not go to TPAC, the Symphony, The Ryman or any of the "high brow" events.

As I mentioned Leo Waters told a work collegue that Westin was out, and Ann Roberts and I had a long discussion about Sobro and how she feels the same way. Her co-worker, Phil Ryan, who works on the zoning for redevelopment districts has mentioned that some of the redevelopment district lines do not make sense and they are looking into that. I invited her and Phil to our next meeting.

One of the sales Vice Presidents for Loews Corporation had serious doubts about the Intercontinental as did a General Manager of Marriott who said the CEO of Intercontinental told him there was no contract, only a Memorandum of Understanding. That is why some still doubt Palmer is actually doing anything at all.

A media person told me this week that SBER was going very slow, and Sage Hospitality and the Barber Group mentioned publically that they wanted to be "where the action was" in reference to Lower broadway, the Sounds and the Predators. Ann Roberts confirmed that NO condos had been sold for the Westin project, and condo sales were contingent on the project being built.

She did say Sage will be taking measurements this week for the street level retail remodel and expansion, but will a new hotel approve them? If Westin is still the hotel component, how come we have heard nothing from them in 3 months?

It will be interesting to see if there is a new hotel, will they want LEED certification? Do they want Condo's? Do they want to be near Lower Broadway? Do they want to try to get approval from MDHA Design and Review Committee? Do they want the structural and architectural restrictions? It will not be easy for another hotel to come on board.

How come SBER are taking so long with Rolling Mill Hill? How come we have not seen any updated Convention Center Plans? How come there has been no news on property aquisition?

I have followed the built environment approxiamately 27 years in Nashville and the MAJORITY of proposals never got built, including mixed use and public buildings. I guess I am just very skeptical until I see a crane erected.

So you have no real basis for your comments other than you don't believe they will happen. That is fine but it is a far cry from having hard facts that these projects no longer or will not exist. Is there one mayoral candidate that has come out and said thhey do not want a new convention center? Did Sage go through all of that angst and purchase the space to just dump the project 60 days later? Or is this sensationalism?

Archived