Tempe development

loftguy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder that to colin, I drive by it everyday. It has the appearance of a theatre. But I really have no idea. You know, I dont know that much about Tempe, but it seems like a very responsible community. Very progressive too. I read in the Republic the other day, that Of all the loft projects going on in the Valley, Tempe has the most. Somewhere in the area of over 1000 units being planned or built. Is it really planning itself to be urban? Or are they just trying to market it that way. Alot of the cities around here, are trying to create environments, which make them feel staged. I guess I should give the props to trying to give the area character.

It is The Tempe Center for the Arts- should be way cool-

I don't think Tempe is a city trying to fake it- I hear you about these cities- but Tempe has always been way ahead of the curve... Mill Ave- 24/7 lifestyle...

I haven't posted anything on Centerpoint yet.

Watch this video though- should get you pumped about Tempe!!

http://www.tempe.gov/business/UpwardlyUrban/default.htm

I've got to say, that video impressed the hell out of me. What is it about the leadership in Tempe, probabally the one spot in the valley that I think really gets it. Is it directly correllated to the University?

• 2 weeks later...

well still, the census shows it gaining people, that by AZ's standards is slow, but by Rust Belt standards is great. People have to be moving somewhere right now, and I don't see to many high rises currently standing, only a ton being constructed. Joel, do you know what the talles building being proposed for Tempe is?

Well, Tempe was a Mormon farming settlement long before ASU came. They may have merged with Mesa if ASU never came.

I think the students and the regular residents are generally going to have different housing needs, so one won't necessarily hinder the other's existence in the town. However, ASU's presence has undoubtably been the main reason for Tempe's high housing costs, which itself has probably spawned the higher density construction. Also, I know that the area around ASU is like a lot of other campus areas (UA included), where if you don't want to be kept awake by drunken parties and/or live by college students, then you should steer clear of the area near campus altogether.

I like 2.5 miles from campus, and although I would love to live closer, I never will because I'm a noise nazi. Plus, the apartments near campus are either just frankly ass, or ridiculously expensive.

well isn't that what student housing is supposed to be? I think all college towns, have alot of character and wealth. But all student housing is plain Icky.

Anyone going to watch the fireworks at Tempe Towne Lake tommorrow? Or wait, did I miss them?

There are so many tower cranes in Tempe right now. As I drive by on the 202 There is one big building going up. Joel, how many floors will that thing be? is it going to look like all those other buildings that have gone up on the river? I also noticed another tower crane up on the opposite end of the developement. Another Midrise?

That is Bridgeview- it is at it's top height now- (not going any taller) That is the big brother of Edgewater- both Hayden Ferry buildings...

http://www.bridgeviewathfl.com/

http://www.haydenferrylakeside.com/

New projects (proposed, and approved):

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0513condo0513.html

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/130889

This one just got approved this morning^

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/052...rocer23-ON.html

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=65910

And a recent kick-ass article on Tempe development

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/b...pebuzz0614.html

Tempe is rockin and rollin!

There is another tower crane to the east of that project. Is that another building in that same family? They are building stuff all over there.

EDIT: nevermind, I answered my own question with your links there. I'm having a real issue being dense tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I think you already discussed this, but there is something being built further in downtown, away from Hayden Ferry. I'm pretty sure it's condo's and there is a tower crane at the site. Is it a high rise?

Ok I think you already discussed this, but there is something being built further in downtown, away from Hayden Ferry. I'm pretty sure it's condo's and there is a tower crane at the site. Is it a high rise?

Centerpoint condos... 3 towers... I think I posted about it a ways up...

The front page headline in the Daily Star today is literally "Convenience-store night shifts scary"

It's good to see them tackling such controversial topics.

This is a sideline in the Regional section:

Tempe high rises worry airlines

Of course, we don't want Phoenix to become a San Diego, where planes fly right over the roofs of surrounding buildings, and I can understand the airlines' concern. But I just don't see Tempe getting high enough where this would be a problem.

The Star has apparently become very interested in this whole perceived issue of height around Sky Harbor.

High-rise no threat to Sky Harbor, FAA says

Maybe next week there'll be some headline like "Phoenix high-rises could threaten Tucson childrens' safety" or they'll somehow work in strip clubs and put it on the local 6pm news.

I would imagine that Phoenix and Tempe have been bickering since Phoenix was originally settled. Neighboring towns always dislike each other.

• 2 weeks later...

When I leave work and am sitting on the 202, watching all the cranes in the air around downtown Tempe is impressive. Would you guys say that there is more development going in, in Tempe than any other place in the valley? I gotta think Glendale has more investment dollars pouring into it right now, but Tempe is a "Crane City".

Developer ready to announce Hayden Ferry Lakeside hotel deal

The Business Journal of Phoenix - August 4, 2006by Diane Arthur and Christia GibbonsThe Business Journal

SunCor Development Co. Tuesday will announce the name of what officials are calling a luxury hotel from a big name in the hospitality industry, to be built in Tempe's Hayden Ferry Lakeside development.

Sources told The Business Journal that this hotel will catapult Tempe into the luxury tourism market.

Years ago the Peabody Hotel was interested in the area, but the deal fell through. SunCor was not part of that proposal.

SunCor officials told The Business Journal Friday that they've been working on bringing in a luxury hotel to the site for five years and that they've turned down 25 offers so far. They said this final selection has been a year in the making.

On tap to make the announcement will be SunCor President and Chief Executive Steve Betts, joined by Arizona Office of Tourism director Margie Emmermann, Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman and a representative of the hotel.

SunCor, with an asset base of $450 million and a net worth of more than $300 million, has thousands of acres under development in Arizona, Idaho, New Mexico, and Utah.

SunCor's development of Hayden Ferry Lakeside features office space, retail and high-end condominiums.

SunCor is a wholly owned subsidiary of Pinnacle West Capital Corp. (NYSE: PNW). Pinnacle West also is the holding company for Arizona Public Service Co., Arizona's largest electric utility.

Who do you guys think it will be? Big luxury name hotel, not Ritz cause they are going in PV. Another Four Seasons? Trump, after we humiliated him in Phoenix?

I kind of want a St. Regis to open up in the Phoenix area...or a Mandarin Oriental. Both would be amazing but ST. Regis would be an awkward fit for the area. Maybe Mandarin Oriental would work better..

Archived