Transfer Station Proposed for Downtown

________________________________________________________________________________

__

PAWTUCKET TRANSFER OPERATIONS (PTO) TRASH FACILITY PROPOSED FOR PINE STREET SITE

The following information was compiled by PADS 02860 (Pawtucket Alliance for Downtown Success) Steering Committee in July, 2006 from Providence Journal and Pawtucket Times newspaper articles and available legal documents.

THE SITE:

Pawtucket Transfer Operations, LLC (PTO), has proposed building a construction and demolition debris (C&D) truck/rail transfer facility at 280 Pine Street, an 8-acre Providence & Worcester Railroad (P&W) freight yard on the west edge of downtown Pawtucket. The site is bounded by Pine Street, residential Conant Street, Amtrak

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where would something like this normally go? It seems like a good location for it since it has rail and highway access. And why would it be detrimental to development downtown, is it that much of a LULU? I'm not saying I'm in favor of it or anything, but I need to see more pros and cons.

A. This is the alternate location for the train station. In many ways, it might be the preferred location.

B. It doesn't have easy highway access. Most of the truck traffic would be traveling on the already screwed up downtown streets.

C. Its directly adjacent to both a residential neighborhood and the area where several of the redevelopment proposals are. Its like saying it would be a good fit at Station Park or Capitol Cove because it has easy rail and highway access, or ALCO. This is a BIG operation.

It probably belongs at Quonset, or Johnston near the existing central landfill.

Ahh okay. I looked it up on a map after and realized this is the option 2 spot for the commuter rail station.

Quonset would be a good place for it given its so isolated and it now has excellent rail and highway access, but NK residents would NEVER EVER let it be built. Wayy to much NIMBYism and elitism in that neck of the woods....

but NK residents would NEVER EVER let it be built. Wayy to much NIMBYism and elitism in that neck of the woods...

I know this is crazy and would never happen, but couldn't the state make Quonset its own town, or state administered district (like the District of Columbia)? The cities and towns exist only with the blessing of the state, the state could dissolve them all. There's probably something in the Constitution about he residents needing to approve of a division, but if we can give sweetheart deals to the Harragansetts within the Constitution, we can really do anything we want with it right?

I know this is crazy and would never happen, but couldn't the state make Quonset its own town, or state administered district (like the District of Columbia)? The cities and towns exist only with the blessing of the state, the state could dissolve them all. There's probably something in the Constitution about he residents needing to approve of a division, but if we can give sweetheart deals to the Harragansetts within the Constitution, we can really do anything we want with it right?

Thinking outside the box. :rofl:

Quonset would be perfect for this. Um, speaking of NIMBYism, I assume Pawtucket residents would also be up-in-arms about a noisy, dirty, ugly, traffic-plaguing, obtrusive proposal like this in the heart of their city, lessening their property values, would they not?

Thinking outside the box. :rofl:

Quonset would be perfect for this. Um, speaking of NIMBYism, I assume Pawtucket residents would also be up-in-arms about a noisy, dirty, ugly, traffic-plaguing, obtrusive proposal like this in the heart of their city, lessening their property values, would they not?

Yeah, and technically they'd be NIMBY's as well. The difference is, a location at Quonset would have far less impacts on any residential neighborhood than it would going where they want it in Pawtucket. In Quonset it could be isolated away from residences yet still have excellent sea, rail and highway access. In Pawtucket it'd be right up against an already struggling downtown and a dense residential area. I can see the claims of environmental racism already if it were to built in the Bucket, and am not disagreeing with them.

Yeah, and technically they'd be NIMBY's as well. The difference is, a location at Quonset would have far less impacts on any residential neighborhood than it would going where they want it in Pawtucket. In Quonset it could be isolated away from residences yet still have excellent sea, rail and highway access. In Pawtucket it'd be right up against an already struggling downtown and a dense residential area. I can see the claims of environmental racism already if it were to built in the Bucket, and am not disagreeing with them.

Exactly. They'd both be NIMBY's, except with the key difference that Pawtucket's residents (IMHO) would have a legitimate beef with a project like this, whereas NK's residents wouldn't. But my point is, if NK residents can kill a project like this in their town, can't Pawtucket's residents do the same? They can certainly put up a fight.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live on Beech St and truly feel like this neighborhood, thought blighted, has a chance... it sounds like the special interests from the Mass side of the MBTA comm rail partnership are hard at work trying to keep this undesirable operation in RI when 3/4 of the stuff is coming from the Commonwealth.

Not in my bucket! :unsure: I'm opposed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We are experiencing a similar situation in Lockport, IL. Although, this will be a transmodal for plastic, steel & lumber - to start! The Mayor & property owner is totally in favor of this. Neither is concerned for our historic downtown area, the pollution, noise, increase truck traffic, endangered species & wetland areas etc. What was the outcome of your situation? We need all the information possible in order to defeat this & the developer will be back 10/17 to present a new plan to the city. please email directly to [email protected] or [email protected] - Thanks

• 6 months later...

Archived