Pirates fans plan walk-out protest

TheGerbil

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_513583.html

Looks like a lot of fans are planning this walk-out for the June 30th game, to protest poor decisions by the team's management. Basically people are sick of the team's long streak of losing seasons.

I wonder if this will do any good. It's been pointed out that the team may ignore this because people are still buying tickets. But the guy organizing the protest says that refusing to buy tickets won't make an impact because many casual fans would still attend.

What do you think?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the problem with the public financing the stadium, the franchise has little incentive to spend a lot of money in order to field a winning team. My understanding is that the Nuttings are enjoying a nice profit from the Pirates. Furthermore, the money is in the luxury suites. A fan walkout doesn't make much of a financial impact.

Fans should do a little research in the field of professional sports economics before deciding on a course of action.

<_< I believe the Pirates make the seventh most money in all of MLB (this is of course net profit). So obviously managment doesn't spend any money on players. If the Pirates lose this season and the next two they'll have the sole longest losing streak in MLB history. What angers me is they keep blaming their losses on Pittsburgh being a small market...yet last year Detroit and St. Louis were in the World Series and they are both small market teams themselves!

Yeah, FSN has been told not to show the fans leaving or mention it at all. But hopefully enough fans will have camera phones and some Youtube savy, as one blog I read recently suggested. Internet publicity could be much mroe powerful than TV publicity ever could.

Ya, Pirates management doesn't seem to care about the embarrassment...you'd think 14 losing seasons in a row would make them blush, but they seem to think they're doing a great job since they're making so much money.

Internet publicity could be good. I haven't been looking, but I wonder if this story is getting any national tv attention (e.g. ESPN) or if its all local. If so, what does it matter that FSN Pittsburgh isn't acknowledging it...the local papers already have. It's the national exposure that's needed.

Most people in the media (tv, radio, blogs, print, etc.) are calling the walk-out a flop... but this protest did elicit pre-emptive responses from ownership... that in itself is a success... but I think the more than ELEVEN THOUSAND empty seats on a Saturday night in June is a much more damning statement against the Pirates franchise

What's disheartening to me is that we have such a great ballpark with a beautiful skyline view, and I have no desire to see a game anymore. I'm not even a baseball fan, but going to the ballpark is such a fun thing to do with out-of-town visitors. They always love the games, the park, and admire the city.

But after learning more about what the ownership is doing, I don't ever want to go to another game. I honestly don't think I would even care if the team lost 15 years in a row as long as they were doing everything they could to try to put out a winning team. If they were just a poor, small-market team doing their best, I would probably go to a few games and root them on. I refuse to go to a game now, simply because the ownership infurates me. It's a shame because at this point I don't even think I would enjoy being at the stadium because I would probably sit there thinking about how I'm supporting an organization that is completely disrespectful to the fans and the city.

If it wasn't for K-Mac (Kevin McClatchy), you wouldn't even have a Pirates organization to complain about today. He deserves to be remembered for his heroics. He led a consortium of investors despite having relatively little capital himself.

Archived