Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

Hey: an image of the current and recent Durham Downtown redevelopment Areas.

Hope you enjoy.

downtownredevelopment.jpg

In Yellow (North-South): North-South Greenway/American Tobacco Trail

In Red (East-West): Future TTA/SouthEast High Speed Rail Line

In Green: Recent Projects

A. Durham School of the Arts

B. Brightleaf Square

C. Peabody Place

D. West Village

E. Durham Bulls Athletic Park

F. Durham County Jail

G. YMCA

H. Durham Civic Center/Carolina Theatre/Arts Council

In Blue: Current/Proposed Projects

1. Duke Arts Building

2. N.C. Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Building

3. West Village II

4. TTA Station/Durham Multi-Modal Transit Center

5. Imperial Building (Measurement Incorporated)

6. American Tobacco Complex

7. Durham Theatre/Events Center

8. Durham Judicial Building (New Courthouse)

9. Triangle Biotechnological Building at Venable

10. New County Health Building(s)

11. Hope VI Few Gardens/North East Central

12. Baldwin Lofts

13. The Renaissance at Durham Centre

14. Durham Senior Center

15. Durham Central Park

16. Durham Athletic Park

17. Main/Chapel Hill Streets Realignment

18. Durham Central Square

19. Woolworth Building

20. The Eleanor

Edited by orulz

• 1 year later...

Hi, This is the Updated Version of the Downtown Durham Development Map.

I know that I've forgotten a few things and there are many mistakes in my (quickly written) descriptions, so please reply to this list with additions and comments. thanks.

Downtown-Durham-Small.jpg

Red = Transportation

Aqua = Mixed Use (Residential + Something Else)

Blue = Municipal (city or county) investments

Green = Parks Space

Yellow = Residential (can include retail)

Orange = Office (can include retail)

Pink = Retail

Purple = Potential Future Development (plans haven't been enumerated)

A larger version of this image is available here: http://www.transittime.com/stuff/Downtown-Durham-Large.jpg

This image includes numbers on each of the development sites, spelling out where each of the following developments are going on the map.

1. Center City Plaza (CCB Plaza) Complete 2007

2. Sun Trust Building Residential Conversions (by Greenfire Properties) Complete 2008

3. Woolworth Office Tower, with Black Wall Street / Durham History Museum

4. Residential, office, and retail conversions by Greenfire (Mr. Shoe Building)

5. Parish Street Renewal Project and Outdoor Museum

6. Baldwin Condos

7. Kress Building Condos

8. Assorted retail, residential, and office conversions, including Rue Cler, the Eleanor, etc.

9. Penny Furniture Building retail and office Space

10. Former Joe and Jo's new restaurant

11. Mechanics Building (currently owned by county), potential future development

12. Country Social Services Building

13. Durham Public Library, potential renovation or redevelopment

14. Durham Senior Citizens' Community Home (completed 2006)

15. Durham Central Park (in Progress, begun 1999)

16. Liberty Warehouse (currently used by arts and industrial uses, may be converted to other uses in the near future)

17. Renaissance at the Durham Centre, a new residential tower proposed but unlikely to be built

18. Imperial Warehouse, Office Development by Measurement Incorporated, Completed 2006

19. Future greenway on former rail tracks (development time period uncertain)

20. West Village Phase One (residential, with a few retail spots), completed 2000

21. West Village Phase Two (residential, office, and retail, including (potentially) a new Durham Amtrak station), completion 2009

22. Downtown Durham TTA Station (Delayed pending review of Triangle transit options)

23. Durham Station, new terminal for DATA buses, completion 2008

24. American Tobacco Historic District, Phase I, mainly office, but with some restaurants and retail, completed 2005

25. American Tobacco Historic District, Phase II, with residential, office, and retail, completion 2007

26. Diamond View II and III, office spaces looking over the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, completion 2009

27. American Tobacco Historic District, Phase III, with residential, office, and retail, completion 2009

28. American Tobacco Historic District, Phase IV, residential, completion 2010

29. Durham Performing Arts Center (D-PAC), 2,700 seat theatre, completion 2008

30. Elkins Chrysler Dealership redevelopment, timeline unclear

31. New Durham County Courthouse, completion 2009

32. Venable Warehouse, new office and lab space (including offices of the Independent Weekly), by Scientific Properties, completion 2006-2007

33. 305 South, retail and performing arts space, completed 2005

34. Future rails-to-trails conversion, timeline uncertain

35. Main Street Townhomes (part of Few Gardens Hope VI project), completed 2005

36. New Townhouses on Main Street (part of Few Gardens Hope VI project), completed 2006

37. Main Street redevelopment, led by Hayti Community Development Corporation, development timeline uncertain

38. Golden Belt redevelopment into artists' spaces, timeline uncertain

39. Senior Citizens' Homes (part of Few Gardens Hope VI project), completion 2007

40. Central Park School for Children, completed 2004

41. Durham Bulls Park Redevelopment - potentially the site of NCCU Baseball, a minor league baseball training facility, and new condos or offices by SBER, timeline uncertain

42. Trinity Home, new condos, completed 2006

43. City Place Office Development, completed 2002

44. County Social Services Redevelopment, coordinated by SBER, timeline uncertain

45. Durham School of the Arts expansion, completion 2007

46. Trinity Park Hotel and Condos, by Park Place development, completion 2008

47. Duke University arts and office expansion, completion 2008

48. Former Durham Cycle Center into restaurant conversion, completion 2007

49. Studebaker Building residential conversion, completion 2007

50. Duke Street Building Conversion, completed 2006

51. Brightleaf Square Redevelopment, completed 2004

52. Peabody Place, in redevelopment with the replacement of Fowler's, timeline uncertain

53. Durham Medical Building redevelopment, timeline uncertain

54. Former Durham Ramada, residential conversion, completed 2006

55. Redevelopment of former public housing, led by SBER, timeline uncertain

56. Heritage Square redevelopment into large mixed-use compound, led by Scientific Properties, completion 2009

57. TTA Regional Rail (as well as Southeast High Speed Rail), indefinitely delayed until regional transit priorities have been established.

58. Durham North-South Trail (including American Tobacco Trail), completed 2006

Edited by yfreemark

Yonah

Very nicely put together. Do you know something I don't about the Medical Arts building on Gregson (#53)?

Two other notes - the County Human Services Complex parking will take the two blocks east of Dillard St., between E Main and Ramseur, and the HOPE VI project also extends to the southeast from the area marked '36'.

Strong work - thanks for sharing it.

GK

www.endangereddurham.org

^Great site.

And great map up there. One problem I notice though is #44, the County Social Services redevelopment. The shaded part includes two buildings (one of which I'm typing this from in my pajamas) that are not part of social services.

Edited by JDC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

So I made my first pass-through of Durham last weekend. I assume that most of these improvements are done, because downtown looked really sharp- fresh pavement and what looked to be new pavers, sidewalks, etc.

I also have to say that of the North Carolina cities I've been too, I think Durham is one of my favorite. There is a really cool urban vibe going on there. I just drove around for a few minutes but it was more than enough to make me want to go back. I'm digging the warehouse district and the downtown area in general (which is pretty much all I was able to see in such a short time). Fortunately I have a wedding to go to later this month, so I'm going to try to figure out how to spend some extra time wandering around.

Are there any restaurants or bars downtown that I shouldn't miss?

So I made my first pass-through of Durham last weekend. I assume that most of these improvements are done, because downtown looked really sharp- fresh pavement and what looked to be new pavers, sidewalks, etc.

I also have to say that of the North Carolina cities I've been too, I think Durham is one of my favorite. There is a really cool urban vibe going on there. I just drove around for a few minutes but it was more than enough to make me want to go back. I'm digging the warehouse district and the downtown area in general (which is pretty much all I was able to see in such a short time). Fortunately I have a wedding to go to later this month, so I'm going to try to figure out how to spend some extra time wandering around.

Are there any restaurants or bars downtown that I shouldn't miss?

What's your taste in that area? The Federal and Rue Cler are both awesome to me but most folks probably prefer one or the other.

Yeah American Tobacco is defintely on my list of things to see. I like dive restaurants, but anything that isn't over-priced is fine with me. I don't go to trendy restaurants too often, but I'll go if that's the reccomendation :) Probably not asian for my first time there though. Any bar that doesn't involve obnoxious club music is ok wtih me.

Yeah American Tobacco is defintely on my list of things to see. I like dive restaurants, but anything that isn't over-priced is fine with me. I don't go to trendy restaurants too often, but I'll go if that's the reccomendation :) Probably not asian for my first time there though. Any bar that doesn't involve obnoxious club music is ok wtih me.

Federal on Main Street then...I don't get to Durham enough to have rooted out any other places....

Ringside was cool back when I used to go there....this review is why I like it <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> Ringside has a myspace too which will give an idea too.

Blog on Durham with a feature on Ringside's building

Other reviews of downtown Durham spots here, including Federal.

Edited by Jones133

The two main areas of DTD are basically American Tobacco and the Brightleaf Square area. There are a few good spots in between (Toast, Rue Cler, Locopops, and there's a newish Irish pub on W. Main), but it's mostly those two districts. I really like Brightleaf due to the varied options in such a small area: Taverna Nikos (Greek), Alivias, and Federal are great options, but I recommend allowing some time to walk around and see what you like--most of the restaurants are very good. Also Ninth Street, about a mile west of downtown is another spot with plenty of great options (plus you have to check out Regulator Bookshop, one of the few urban, independent bookstores in the region, and Elmo's Diner, a great spot for breakfast.)

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out for DTD: flash map. Even thought it's actually just a single square area, I consider the multi block area west of Duke St, the unoffical Brightleaf Area, with the area east being West Village (Liggett & Myers).

Here's a google map of ninth St: map. Basically go west on Main St from DTD and turn right on Ninth St and there's a nice strip of shops right there to enjoy.

Again, I would allow yourself some time to walk around and explore. That's what I like to do. There's a whole lot to like about Durham (and I didn't even mention American Tobacco), and IMO these are among the better walkable urban places to start looking. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Where is Brightleaf Square? I'm still trying to figure out Durham's "districts." I had no idea that 9th St was even an option :) Can anyone point me to a good map?

Brightleaf District would roughly be the whole area along West Main Street from about the Downtown Loop westward to Buchannan Blvd. "Brightleaf Square" is the actual old tobacco warehouse building that's turned into virtually a little mini-mall of shops and restaurants, at the corner of Main and Gregson. But the whole district is worth exploring by far. (Be sure to check out Morgan Imports....good for gifts for hard-to-shop-for people.)

Ninth Street isn't technically downtown, but it's definitely a pedestrian-friendly urban area by Duke University that is worth mentioning. Sort of like an urban satellite of downtown, in much of the same way Raleigh's Hillsborough Street is....or at least, as intended to be.

As far as the Triangle's three "College Rows" (Hillsborough Street, Franklin Street, and Ninth Street) go, Ninth Street is, in my opinion, the nicest and most enjoyable. (As much as it pains this NCSU alum to admit!)

Edited by RaleighRob

These folks have it nailed. Durham is a little awkward though for the pedestrian imo, since little of the cool stuff actually beckons the pedestrian cruising by on foot. The nature of most of the tobacco redevelopment is turned inward (other than a few of the Brightleaf shops that cut entrances onto Main Street). There is definitely a pedestrian gap between American Tobacco and Downtown and Brighleaf caused primarily by the railroad tracks and lack of development in between. Not to be a naysayer at all...I love Durham and am fairly well acquainted with it. Just adding some more "heads up" to the equation. Have fun...the whole place feels more like a northern industrial city than anything southern.

During my brief drive around Durham, it seemed like there was plenty to see by foot, particularly in the main downtown area. It was a little dead, but it was also Sunday morning. I'm hoping that Saturday it will be more lively. I notice that most of you suggest that I head towards Brightleaf of 9th St. Is there nothing in the vicinity of the Marriott that is worth walking to?

During my brief drive around Durham, it seemed like there was plenty to see by foot, particularly in the main downtown area. It was a little dead, but it was also Sunday morning. I'm hoping that Saturday it will be more lively. I notice that most of you suggest that I head towards Brightleaf of 9th St. Is there nothing in the vicinity of the Marriott that is worth walking to?

I can vouch for... the Carolina Theater, which is a great old venue for shows and concerts, Rue Cler, a nice French bakery/restaurant around the corner on Chapel Hill St, "Toast," a nice lunch place (never been there late), and Loco Pops on Market St.

Bull McCabes is a newish Irish pub on W. Main. Never been there, but when I walked by last time it was packed. Those are all 'inside the [Ramseur, Morgan, Roxboro St] loop' that are possibilities, but as we've already mentioned, most of the vibrant retail where you will find contiguous shops is at American Tobacco, Brightleaf, and 9th St.

Well the trip didn't go quite as planned. I was only in town for one night (that part was planned). I spent most of my evening at in the American Tobacco area... but WOW that is a cool place. The whole thing is done amazingly well.

My only complaint is that downtown felt entirely too empty for a Saturday night (except or the random club that had only black people going to it). After the baseball game let out things picked up somewhat. But I didn't get over to Brightleaf Square or 9th St, which I hope are more active.

On Sunday I wandered over to the Brightleaf Square area. That whole area is pretty cool too. I think that Brightleaf is probably the highlight of my trip. It has a lot of cool things going for it besides a decent urban vibe. I didn't make it over to 9th St, but there's always next time.

My overall thought is that Durham's historic area and architecture match anything that you can find in Asheville, and it's superior to all of the other larger cities in North Carolina that I've been to so far.

Well the trip didn't go quite as planned. I was only in town for one night (that part was planned). I spent most of my evening at in the American Tobacco area... but WOW that is a cool place. The whole thing is done amazingly well.

My only complaint is that downtown felt entirely too empty for a Saturday night (except or the random club that had only black people going to it). After the baseball game let out things picked up somewhat. But I didn't get over to Brightleaf Square or 9th St, which I hope are more active.

On Sunday I wandered over to the Brightleaf Square area. That whole area is pretty cool too. I think that Brightleaf is probably the highlight of my trip. It has a lot of cool things going for it besides a decent urban vibe. I didn't make it over to 9th St, but there's always next time.

My overall thought is that Durham's historic area and architecture match anything that you can find in Asheville, and it's superior to all of the other larger cities in North Carolina that I've been to so far.

Yep, there ya go! A large majority of people in the Triangle fear downtown Durham (or Durham period). Percentage wise, it's the blackest city in the state with an abundance of black professionals/student population. Of course many people are familiar with Duke U (history of the Duke family), but Durham is rich in black history (the most prominent bldg in Durham is a black owned business...North Carolina Mutual Life), the Black Wall St. (Parrish St.), http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/videos...ent_future.html, black banks etc.

http://www.ncmutuallife.com/

Note, the website has more bldgs of Charlotte than Durham (so sad).

Durham really needs a signature park in the downtown area. Admittedly, Durham does have some tough sections surrounding downtown, but it deserves a better reputation.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Has anyone ever considered an urban circulator streetcar loop along the old seaboard loop line around downtown? While ridership would certainly be low at first it does seem like the downtown / Duke area is now ripe for streetcar service -- this might be a cheap way to get started.

Just a thought after walking a portion of the old seaboard loop near West Village today.

EDIT: Here is a quick sketch map. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201297094746174483978.0004bccda9ff0054a5ad5&msa=0&ll=36.001271,-78.895483&spn=0.029719,0.060596

In a world of unlimited money spurs down main st to East campus and then to Duke Hospital and also down Fayetteville rd to NCCU would also be groovy. The network could nicely connect up future commuter rail to a growing entrepreneurial community around DT Durham.

FWIW: I grew up in Durham but moved away 20 years ago. Downtown was a place I NEVER went. As I walked around today waiting for my train home I was struck by how much potential the city now has. It could become the jewel of the Triangle -- something I would have never expected..

Edited by kermit