Uptown Charlotte Project Rundown

dubone

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dubone....awesome job. I know took a lot of effort to put that together.

I do have something to add:

#28 Renwick....will not take up the whole block....the lower part of the block on the McDowell St side will be a seperate development. It is City owned property right now...they are putting together RFP on it right now.

Thank you for all the comments. It really does make a visual impact as to how many projects are in play. uptown.

Uptownliving - It's funny, because I noticed that I put the whole park in as the Renwick after I was done, but I knew you'd be the only one to notice.

Most of the announced condo and retail projects seem to have a 2006 timeline. Most of the U/C projects will be done next summer, though.

The government projects are spread into the future for budget reasons, especially the rail lines.

I expect that some of the projects will fizzle away, but that there will more than enough newer announcements to compensate and keep this forum active :).

I am expecting to see more announcements around the future 3rd ward park. Furman is a market maker in Charlotte, and I expect that he will create his own momentum down mint/poplar. That move will force the county to spend their new park bonds and build the thing sooner rather than later.

Well thankfully the bonds for the downtown park were passed...so the money is there...they will probably cash in the bonds for the park this time next year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they do go ahead and build the park in the original location. It seems like they have debated endlessly about it.

the park bonds are intended for this park/ this location, but from what I understand, they are not found to that. the Knights want to use the land for a ballpark, and Parks Helms, now Chairman of the board, was a proponent.

Thanks! I forget there was a link for each construction, shame on me! :sick:

Glad to see they're going to build that park in one of those parking lots near the Carillon Tower : I remember I thought there were ugly, when I was in Charlotte, and I was hoping for something to be built on it!

• 3 weeks later...

I found a rendering of the Metro School that CMS is building in 2nd ward. The site plan also displays the extended S. Davidson St., which I think must be coordinated with this project.

I'm disappointed that it is only a single level (not counting the underground parking). I know that almost all schools are built single-story since the columbine massacre, but i had figured since this project was uptown, that they'd make it less sprawling. Oh well. I still like this project, though, especially since it is contributing to the reconnection of the grid streets in 2nd ward.

Metro School

• 1 month later...

I found a rendering of the Metro School that CMS is building in 2nd ward.  The site plan also displays the extended S. Davidson St., which I think must be coordinated with this project. 

I'm disappointed that it is only a single level (not counting the underground parking).  I know that almost all schools are built single-story since the columbine massacre, but i had figured since this project was uptown, that they'd make it less sprawling.  Oh well.  I still like this project, though, especially since it is contributing to the reconnection of the grid streets in 2nd ward.

Metro School

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhh, the renderings show its 2 stories....also the recent addition to First Ward School is 3 stories.

Uhh, the renderings show its 2 stories....also the recent addition to First Ward School is 3 stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:).

there are no stairs in the floorplan (unless i'm missing it). I think the extra height on the corners that seem to be two levels in the renderings are simply high ceilings for the gym/food court/arts center/pools areas at the corners.

Don't get me wrong, i think it is a good design, and i know there are more accessibility needs at metro school. I was disappointed because i think the architects could have resolved the accessibility issues but kept the footprint to a one block section of uptown, like First Ward ES. Instead, the design takes up two full blocks in a neighborhood we all hope will be a dense urban landscape during this building's lifespan. Two blocks is a lot of uptown land, especially when you consider the opportunity cost of what that land could be used for in the next 20 years...

First Ward ES, (which has a design i really like) and a handfull of other schools are the rare exception where multiple levels are used. I think a significant majority of new construction schools are sprawling single level buildings, with all the charm of a warehouse.

Again, it sure would be nice for someone to post whats going on in ONE spot instead 20 different places. Was my last post ignored or something? I'm from out of town, thats why I can't post the stuff my self....I'm outta the loop. Should I have said please? lol :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think atlvr had a good synopsis in the first couple pages of the "For Sure Projects" thread. That is pretty recent.

Archived