Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

11 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

Token retail means that there is approximately 10k sf of space on the ground floor at the corner and around the entry courtyard that in my opinion could not be leased as residential space based upon its configuration in plan and elevation.  To me, this is area that the market could push to retail if the demand is there.  An improvement over some other buildings that have significantly less space available that can be converted in the future

Meanwhile, the space where "fresh exclusive" (the sneaker shop) was remains empty at the bottom of The Nook

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes in its current configuration several spaces would require renovation to be used and leased separately as retail, but they are usable for retail in future.  The main hurdles for retail are floor to ceiling height, clear spans between bearing walls and columns, and accessibiliy for the disabled.  This building has provided approximately 10k sf of space with decent floor to ceiling height, decent spans between bearing walls, and proximity to public areas that does not restrict access for the disabled.  This is my definition of token retail.

Edited by archiham04
typos

Just now, Jayvee said:

Liquor store looks to replace the family dollar when it's lease is up in 2017. This is big for Plaza

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27261/plaza-midwood-will-be-getting-its-first-abc-store/

Beat me too it!  Was just typing as you posted.   Great to see continued reinvestment in that complex. Now to just get the owners to do something with the parking lot, maybe like Atherton Mill.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Liquor store looks to replace the family dollar when it's lease is up in 2017. This is big for Plaza

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27261/plaza-midwood-will-be-getting-its-first-abc-store/

That's awesome, and hilarious.

Does anyone know the history of that building? If you go around to the side and rear it looks like it used to be a factory/mill building, but with a crappy facade on the front. Is that the case?

9 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

No, they added those "factory" looking windows to the shopping center building about 5 years ago to be able to better lease the end units

....and to make it look more similar to the actual mill buildings at the rear of the property

Interesting. Not a bad idea at all. It would work perfectly if they got rid of that disgusting stucco facade. What's stopping them (other than the owner's douchiness)?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Interesting. Not a bad idea at all. It would work perfectly if they got rid of that disgusting stucco facade. What's stopping them (other than the owner's douchiness)?

It would be great if they got rid of the 1970's strip-mall facade, it would make that area of PM feel less sterile. Could, what's stopping them, be the fact that shop sizes would be a lot smaller? 

Edited by Piedmont767

1 minute ago, Piedmont767 said:

It would be great if they got rid of the 1970's strip-mall facade, it would make that area of PM feel less sterial. Could, what's stopping them, be the fact that shop sizes would be a lot smaller? 

I dunno. It seems like the facade is just a facade. Removing it would just open up the sidewalk area, it appears. Maybe if the owner just does infill in the rest of the lot up to Pecan, he'll remove the facade and actually make it like a real urban street.

Don't count on John Hatcher doing anything that would be good for the neighborhood simply because it'd be good for the neighborhood. He doesn't even want a crosswalk at Clement because he's afraid more people will park in his lot and walk to Midwood Smokehouse and Fern.

He painted the light poles in his parking lot this year. That's probably the best you're ever going to see him do until he sells the property.

On 11/20/2015, 8:37:06, Piedmont767 said:

What's the cloud-shaped thing in the bottom right corner? Hopefully the materials used won't result in more Charlotte Beige.

And Crown, looks like no retail has been in included. 

Any one who knows how to read plans would clearly know that they have invented a weather altering device and they intend to create rain clouds.  This is a major victory for the neighborhood because now we can maintain very healthy and trendy backyard gardens.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I dunno. It seems like the facade is just a facade. Removing it would just open up the sidewalk area, it appears. Maybe if the owner just does infill in the rest of the lot up to Pecan, he'll remove the facade and actually make it like a real urban street.

A lot of times these shopping centers were (and are still)  built with roof joists running parallel to the front (to slope them toward the back... if this is the case here, it is likely that the roof joists extend beyond the storefront, to the front facade to help create the overhang.  Steel roof joists cannot really be cut in half so removing the facade would likely be outside the comfort zone for Mr. Hatcher.

.... although from looking at the aerials, there may be a secondary structure there afterall

Edited by archiham04
may have spoken too soon

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Very disheartening picture. I believe that church was about a hundred years old, if I recall correctly. The inside was renovated a few years ago, and there was nothing preventing the new developer from reinforcing a new facade. What a waste.

Also, isn't that the church R.E.M. used as a recording studio?

That was the old Central Methodist Church.  There was at one point I believe a small recording studio there, but you are thinking of Reflection Sound Studio, which was at 1018 Central, not in the church.  Before Reflection was there they were on South Blvd. 

Central UMC was moved out to it's current location on Albemarle Rd when the different Methodist churches (nationally and regionally) merged to create the United Methodist Church.  There were 3 other white Methodist Churches in the area (still are), at least one black one.  The UMC offered to move Central out to the fast growing Albemarle Rd area to better serve that area and reduce the number of UMC churches in the Plaza-Midwood and Elizabeth Areas. 

The building is around 100 years old, The church was founded in 1913, but I am unsure of when the building was built. 

Edited by DEnd

A couple of shots of the new patio going in at Comida. Couldn't get a good angle since there were contractor trucks parked all around the perimeter. I didn't get any shots of the other end of the building (nearest Commonwealth) but it appears they are expanding out that way about 6-8 feet. The old kitchen was ridiculously small. Also, the recently bisected Hall Clock now has Cltch  (I assume it's pronounced clutch) on one side. It looks to be an accessory shop, hats, jewelry, etc for men and women. I didn't go in but it looks interesting.

20151209_150229.jpg

20151209_150202.jpg

20151209_152415.jpg

"I didn't get any shots of the other end of the building (nearest Commonwealth) but it appears they are expanding out that way about 6-8 feet. The old kitchen was ridiculously small."

Spoke to the GC walking my dog one day and the cinder block wall along the Commonwealth side is trash can screening, not expansion. I thought the same thing at first too.

The patio looks like it will be quite nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk