Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

On Independence, I could see a development cap going between The Plaza and St. Julien (The Plaza might have difficult connecting because of grade issues, but St. Julien could), and a larger cap of Shenandoah, Rockway, with both of those connecting.

A intermediate bridge could go at either Hanover or Bascom (which also crosses the rail tracks at grade)

Hey...I'm a visionary, or at least a person capable of ripping off successful development strategies that have been proven in other places.....land prices probably do need to exceed $15M an acre for this to work, but I suspect the 277 parcels will command that in less than 10 years.

Edited by atlrvr

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also state that construction should start in 2Q2007 and will be phased over about 5 years to completion. That means that this will be completed about the sametime the planned Central Ave StreetCar comes online.

that sounds about right... current tenants in morningside apts just got notices - saying they need to be out by febuary. ba-bye. i hope this is just the beginning of great things to come for the eastside... we need the love.

• 2 weeks later...

I can report that the Steelhaus site behind the Mcdonalds off of Central has been totally cleared. A good sign. I am on that street on a daily basis and the sign sat there for months and months. The rendering is a cool design. Although I wonder if many people are going pay the high prices to live right behind Mcds.

Conformity, I am glad you joined UP and welcome all the info you can share. What can you tell us about the Party Reflections site?

The Party Reflections site will be developed as apartments....over 250 units.....this is a good thing for the local retailers who need the "rooftops" and it puts more feet in boots on the north side of the Independence bridge. The foot traffic glues Elizabeth on the North side to Elizabeth on the South side. The Conformity Corporation is not the developer.

I can report that the Steelhaus site behind the Mcdonalds off of Central has been totally cleared. A good sign. I am on that street on a daily basis and the sign sat there for months and months. The rendering is a cool design. Although I wonder if many people are going pay the high prices to live right behind Mcds.

I sometimes wonder as well, but then I look at Central 27 and their prices and, even despite their better location, I am put at ease. We offer a value (the overall balance of design integrity, location and price IMHO). You may also be interested to know that the Steelhaus is in a qualified census tract which goes to that part of our mission which is pointed at doing all we can to eak out some more affordable options for folks who are looking to buy. Because we are in a QCT, homeowners can get below market rate loans and 100% LTV ratios at those rates. It's edgy....agreed, but it works.....particularly given the long term prospects now that Graham has grown his venture to 400 MM.

Central27 is really coming together. I know there are PM regulars all over this forum watching, but I get out there every week or two for a stop in the Post Office. It kinda makes more of an impression, to let some time go by and then say "Hey, that place is painted now..."

Edited by MZT

Perhaps they felt that if they had windows with great views, and then the adjacent property got developed to a height that blocked their views, that they would have some angry clients that wouldn't spread the happy word around.....just a guess.

i,m sure that is the case.... but, surely people buying there would understand something like a "view" could be subject to change.

if i were a buyer, i would rather haved loved briefly - than to not have loved at all..... even if i were paying for it.

ok, that sounded a little weird. :)

I have noticed the little strip on the corner of Louise and Central has a sign that says "Intermezzo Pizzeria coming soon" on it for weeks now. I have always thought that small block had great character and the buildings just needed sprucing up. The whole site seems to be under construction currently. Does anyone know if Intermezzo is ever going to really happen? I have heard or seen nothing more than the sign on the building.

I have noticed the little strip on the corner of Louise and Central has a sign that says "Intermezzo Pizzeria coming soon" on it for weeks now. I have always thought that small block had great character and the buildings just needed sprucing up. The whole site seems to be under construction currently. Does anyone know if Intermezzo is ever going to really happen? I have heard or seen nothing more than the sign on the building.

I'm afraid I can't update you on Intermezzo, but I do hear that a wine bar is going in behind the Common Market and is set to open around next June.

I'm afraid I can't update you on Intermezzo, but I do hear that a wine bar is going in behind the Common Market and is set to open around next June.

Awesome ! BTW, welcome to Urban Planet Bossanova. :)

As far as Central Goes, I am wondering more and more about the "Five Points Area". Are we going to see any stand out projects very soon on any side on the intersection? I have always wondered why this area has not blossomed thus far .

Any ideas on this guys???

A2

I remember the first time I stopped at "Five Points" -- newcomer to Charlotte... looking for bargains at the Salvation Army. This was 2002, and I distinctly got the feeling I was in "the bad part of town".

Someone today might not get that impression. It's starting to feel like an area that's turning around.

I think that the removal of Piedmont Courts and its conversion to a mixed-income district will have an impact on the 5 points area of Louise, 10th and Central.

Practically at the intersection, we have the historic renovation by Conformity, The Rutzler. Then parallel to Central in this area, we have the orphaned part of Elizabeth, Sunnyside. I took pictures of that little neighborhood here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10771

I think the renovation of Piedmont Middle school at also helping the area. But really, with the removal of the public housing projects at Piedmont Courts, it just leaves these old homes around Jackson Ave and Sunnyside.

I do agree, though, that Central in this area could use some redevelopment. I have read somewhere that the city will make aesthetic and safety improvements at the 5 points intersection. That investment could potentially help some parcels in that area to be rebuilt.

Yes these are "cool" projects and they are appearing because this neighborhood already has a great vibe. The more condos they build the more expensive the area gets. Driving out the folks that give the area the flavor. The yuppies that are going to be moving into complexes such as these are nice people but they are going to deaden PlazaMidwood's bohemian feel just like what is already happened in NoDa. These projects also pose a threat to institutions such as The Common Market and The Penguin because the demo of the new residents of Steelhaus, PlazaVu Ctrl27, and Morningside trend Starbucks and Barnes&Noble, increasing the pressure on locally owned businesses to sellout similar to what has already happened to Elizabeth's 7th St. Charlotte has very few neighborhoods with character and at this rate we will have none at all.

Edited by voyager12

Yes these are "cool" projects and they are appearing because this neighborhood already has a great vibe. The more condos they build the more expensive the area gets. Driving out the folks that give the area the flavor. The yuppies that are going to be moving into complexes such as these are nice people but they are going to deaden PlazaMidwood's bohemian feel just like what is already happened in NoDa. These projects also pose a threat to institutions such as The Common Market and The Penguin because the demo of the new residents of Steelhaus, PlazaVu Ctrl27, and Morningside trend Starbucks and Barnes&Noble, increasing the pressure on locally owned businesses to sellout similar to what has already happened to Elizabeth's 7th St. Charlotte has very few neighborhoods with character and at this rate we will have none at all.

Not to say many of your arguments aren't accurate or have merit, but to blame increasing prices and economic pressure simply on condos, I think, is misplaced. Housing overall is increasing I believe the hefty prices now for single family homes is more of a push than the condos. That is a different story if condo buildings are converted from lower rent apartments and pushed out actual residents. Basically a neighborhood increases in value due to demand not because developers decided to build some condos in the area.