Retail in Richmond

vdogg

You must love Malls!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How'd you guess? :lol:

How do you guys think it will change things with Hecht's changing into Macy's and why are you guys so happy about it. Will the line of clothes change or something or is it the fact that they are turning into "Macy" be it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It won't change things a whole lot to tell you the truth. There will be a new nameplate and some additional lines of clothes, but it's not going to be radically different than it is now.

But it doers have an impact, like I said in another thread:

Simply put, it's the last store standing.

Just about the entire history of department stores has been erased in the mania to consolidate and get bigger over the past several decades. The pace has accelerated over the past twenty years to the point that dozens of hometown stores have combined together through aquisition, merger (and failure) to create what will now be America's dominant upper middle market department store chain: Macy's.

We're upset, we're happy, we're in awe.

They don't cary any lines that I can fit anyways with me being almost 6'5" and over 300 lbs. I'm about the size of a NFL lineman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cool B)

I'm 6'-3", 210lbs and you'd make me look like a dwarf.

Macy's or Hecht's wouln't have a lot for you, but Dillard's does have a decent Big & Tall department at most of its larger stores. I'd probaly check them out rather than Hecht's or Macy's. I shop at Rochester Big & Tall sometimes and at Eddie Bauer.

What about the Hecht's in Military Circle Mall?? Does that change to a Macy's even though its in a Ghetto Mall?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far, the ghetto will get a Macy's as well. Military Circle and Coliseum Mall survived the first round of store cuts.

Steven, do you think it possible that Federated may replace the Short Pump location with a Bloomie's?  I note that a small number of stores are being studied with that in mind. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be very cool if they did that, but realistically, I don't think Bloomingdale's will come to Short Pump anytime soon.

Maybe if Federated controlled two anchor spots, like they would have if Lord & Taylor had made it to town, but probably not with one anchor spot.

It will be a very nice Macy's though :)

It would be very cool if they did that, but realistically, I don't think Bloomingdale's will come to Short Pump anytime soon. 

Maybe if Federated controlled two anchor spots, like they would have if Lord & Taylor had made it to town, but probably not with one anchor spot. 

It will be a very nice Macy's though :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'll betcha the Short Pump owners make a strong case for a Bloomie's! With the recent opening of Rt. 288, I think there has been an upturn of already healthy business from high earners across the river. :)

I still can't see Bloomingdales in Richmond just yet, even at Watkins Centre. It's very successful in Washington, but Atlanta's struggling with theirs. Since Richmond is like a smaller mix of Washington and Atlanta, it's kinda up in the air.

Give Macy's a chance. I think they'll do a decent job in Richmond. I think it's better to have a Class A Macy's rather than a Class C Bloomingdales

Edited by StevenRocks

I still can't see Bloomingdales in Richmond just yet, even at Watkins Centre.  It's very successful in Washington, but Atlanta's struggling with theirs.  Since Richmond is like a smaller mix of Washington and Atlanta, it's kinda up in the air.

Give Macy's a chance.  I think they'll do a decent job in Richmond.  I think it's better to have a Class A Macy's rather than a Class C Bloomingdales

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But when you see 700 plus Macy's across the land, you sort of think - "Gap". There is no cachet anymore. I'm not giving up on a Short Pump or Watkins Center Bloomies!! The nearby Charlottesville market adds bulk to west Richmond's allure. Had you told me that Saks is floundering, I'd have bitten my nails, but apparently in iit's less than perfect location, it's holding its own.

Bloomies or Bust!! :)

But when you see 700 plus Macy's across the land, you sort of think - "Gap".  There is no cachet anymore.  I'm not giving up on a Short Pump or Watkins Center Bloomies!!  The nearby Charlottesville market adds bulk to west Richmond's allure.  Had you told me that Saks is floundering, I'd have bitten my nails, but apparently in iit's less than perfect location, it's holding its own.

Bloomies or Bust!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may be on to something, burt. It's not totally out of the range of possibility that Bloomingdale's could expand to smaller markets. I'd shop at one if they came to Richmond :)

What are your ideas about IKEA, Steven - or is that too specialized for your broader expertise?

I've wondered if the old Sear's building on West Broad between Meadow (Hermitage Rd) and Allen Avenue might not lend itself, with its ample parking, to a mid-city Ikea.

Brent says it is presently being used as storage for Sauer's spice business.

Edited by burt

What are your ideas about IKEA, Steven - or is that too specialized for your broader expertise?

I've wondered if the old Sear's building on West Broad between Meadow (Hermitage Rd) and Allen Avenue might not lend itself, with its ample parking, to a mid-city Ikea. 

Brent says it is presently being used as storage for Sauer's spice business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing in retail is too specialzed for me :lol:

I like the idea of a midtown or downtown IKEA in Richmond, especially if it can reuse a site as important historically to Richmond retail as the old Sears.

My concern is how close that a Richmond IKEA would be to the one in Dale City and the potential transfer of business between the two locations. If there's a strong enough amount of business coming from south of Potomac Mills, it would make sense for Richmond to have one, seeing as the store would be within a two hour drive of most of Virginia's population.

If there isn't a strong enough interest, what could happen is that the Potomac Mills and Richmond stores could end up splitting the sales, leading to cannibalization, which could lead to closure of the Richmond store before it gets its footing (it has happened to a lot of stores that have operated locations too close to one another).

Nothing in retail is too specialzed for me :lol:

I like the idea of a midtown or downtown IKEA in Richmond, especially if it can reuse a site as important historically to Richmond retail as the old Sears.

My concern is how close that a Richmond IKEA would be to the one in Dale City and the potential transfer of business between the two locations.  If there's a strong enough amount of business coming from south of Potomac Mills, it would make sense for Richmond to have one, seeing as the store would be within a two hour drive of most of Virginia's population. 

If there isn't a strong enough interest, what could happen is that the Potomac Mills and Richmond stores could end up splitting the sales, leading to cannibalization, which could lead to closure of the Richmond store before it gets its footing (it has happened to a lot of stores that have operated locations too close to one another).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, you'd think almost a hundred miles would be separation enough. But I suppose Richmond would have to draw fromStafford/Spottsylvania/Fredericksburg as well as its present draw area to make it work.

Maybe Tidewater would be a better fit.

Besides, I'm probably the only person in the World who even thinks about an Ikea in Central Virginia! :rolleyes:

But thanks for your comments.

I'd like to see one around here as well. One in Richmond would draw charlottesville as well as Williamsburg and maybe HR; even lynchburg. However, not that I think it should be this way, but, I think its more likely to see IKEA in the suburban west end. Richmond's retail market is very strong, so I think it would work in either place.....

Besides, I'm probably the only person in the World who even thinks about an Ikea in Central Virginia! :rolleyes:

But thanks for your comments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richmond needs more retail forward thinkers like you, burt.

IKEA and Bloomingdale's could both happen. Heck, who'd have thought Richmond would get Macy's, Saks and Nordstrom 5 or 10 years ago?

Edited by StevenRocks

Richmond needs more retail forward thinkers like you, burt. 

IKEA and Bloomingdale's could both happen.  Heck, who'd have thought Richmond would get Macy's, Saks and Nordstrom 5 or 10 years ago?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Steven. I'll keep throwing in my comments and ideas from time to time.

hey wrldcoupe that other store besides saxon thats going to be at Short Pump is called Orvis its an outdoor Sports Goods store its very High-end. They carry alot of expensive guns fishing rods and stuff like that.

If you go inside Short Punp towne Center they have a Huge Rendering of it on a board.

• 1 month later...

In Henrico County:

Looks like Federated is debating converting the ShortPump Town Center Hecht's into a Bloomingdales instead of a Macy's....(all other Hecht's in the RIC area will be converted into Macy's however)...

The redevelopment of the Shops at Willow Lawn has begun and will contribute to the overall gentrification of the surrounding area. Also nearby, the new homes at the former Keswick Gardens should begin soon, as well as the high-rise 5100 building on Monument Avenue which will be getting a face-lift.

In Henrico County:

Looks like Federated is debating converting the ShortPump Town Center Hecht's into a Bloomingdales instead of a Macy's....(all other Hecht's in the RIC area will be converted into Macy's however)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see Bloomingdale's at Regency Square a little more than at Short Pump because the sales are stronger at the Regency Hecht's, but having one at Short Pump fits in with the upscale tenbant mix of the mall better.

You know which mall needs Bloomingdale's? Stony Point. Best of both worlds. The Dick's is like a third wheel out there; definately less special than Galyan's used to be.