Welcome to Richmond

vdogg

Welcome Turboturtle!

I will try to answer your questions as best I can... Houses from the 1920s can be scattered about the city. Parts of Highland Park were built in the 1920s although the neighborhood dates from about the 1910s through the 1940s and possibly 50s and later here and there. Ginter Park, Ginter Terrace (Battery Park area), and other Northside neighborhoods came about around the 1920s. Windsor Farms was planned in the 1920s. Some sections of the Fan and West of the Boulevard have 1920s houses. As far as south of the river, Burt or someone here familiar with Southside can probably confirm it neighborhood there built about the 1920s. I would think Westover Farms and Forest Hill Park area had growth during the 20s. I'm going to have to really get on my neighborhood research... once I find the original plats of many of our neighborhoods that I have identified, I'd be more certain. However, what makes it a little hazy for me is that some styles linger past their peak in popularity and Windsor Farms definitely brought about tons of Colonial Revivals, Georgians, Tutors and such to surrounding West End neighborhoods for decades. Of course anyone can correct me and point out places I've forgotten.

Houses from the 1960s and ranches are of course mainly in the suburbs. However, there are areas of Southside that were annexed by the city in 1970 from Chesterfield that have ranch styled houses. I know there are some subdivisons in Henrico along Parham Rd that came about during the 1960s. You may want to check out their site for plat maps and dates.

I don't think there are periods in history that were negative to housing growth unless you're not a fan of the pro-automobile, after-the-interstates subdivisions. Richmond remained a compact city for a long time. Several annexations of new/newer suburban neighborhoods occurred pretty rapidly in the 1900s. These were mainly suburbs that developed along the old trolley lines. But our character has been defined by the growth of different areas. The Fan District (laid out as the Town of Sydney, or Sydney up until the 1950s), was built between the early 1800s to about 1950s. Most of the houses were built after 1890 through the 1920s, the most famous street in this area is Monument Avenue whose influence can be seen in some designs of newer New Urbanist influenced developments like the new development on Monument at Willow Lawn (the name escapes me... Monument Square?), Tree Hill, and even some hints at West Broad Village. We have Victorians and Queen Annes in Barton Heights, the oldest section of Highland Park/Mount Comfort/Chestnut Hill, and Spring Hill. Historic Church Hill's St. John's Church Historic District has a good size collection of pre-Civil War/early 1800s houses. Aside from the Colonial Revivals that can be found in the West End and parts of Northside, the Italianates seem to dominate and can be found all over the city, mainly built in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

As far as growth, 50 years ago, a lot of what what makes up the city itself existed. Areas along Williamsburg Rd in the east existed as well as pockets of developments near Mechanicsville and Laburnum Ave which back then existed in sections. The areas around Westham and Tuckahoe west of the University of Richmond were developed as well as pockets around Horsepen Rd and Skipwith Rd. In Northside, the Dumbarton and Lakeside areas had budded. Stratford Hills, a huge development on the south side of the river west of the Belt Way had existed at least by the early 1940s. Again, other places in Southside can be pointed out by those who know it better.

About twenty-five to thirty years ago, growth in the West End was going full steam ahead. I know I saw a picture from about 1984 where Broad St. was being widened to 6 lanes from 2 just before Parham. Thirty years ago, Innsbrook was fairly new and Short Pump was a dot on the map where the cows happily played. Development seemed to slow in the East End from several developments in the 60s and 70s. Mechanicsville was budding its commercial strip and Midlothian Tnpk was South Side's Broad St. Brandermill was one of Richmond's hottest new large developments.

Fifteen years ago, the West End had exploded. Wyndham had been planned and was budding. Across Broad, the developments along Lauderdale and Church had been in place. Development up Broad was mainly east of I-64. Woodlake was hot near Brandermill at the Swift Creek Reservoir. Virginia Center was being developed in northern Henrico. The East End still saw little development compared to the other locations, but plans were beginning to be drawn. Cedar Fork and Creighton roads were widened in anticipation.

You're probably going to have to study maps of Richmond because I don't have anything on hand to point out the areas I've mentioned. I love the ones on Google and MSN and I can look at them for hours... well the aerials. If there's anything I've forgotten or any corrections, please let me know. Any further questions, we're here.

I do have a couple of maps I could share. One is Richmond's annexation map I made.

Annexations.jpg

Here is a 1932 Dept of Public Works map... ignore the darkened areas on the map.

PublicWorks1923map.jpg

Here's a map I took from the US census site to work on maps of Richmond.

51919846.gif

Here's one I made from that map of my take on the geographically named areas of the city.

RichmondDirectionsL.gif

I'm also new to the Richmond forum, but I think I have some info that could help since I live in Richmond (when I'm home from college).

If you're looking for homes with more character, you generally want to stay closer to the city. I believe that most of the homes in the Fan District were built in the early 1900s and offer a lot of character; though, this neighborhood is within Richmond city itself, which doesn't offer the best school system (although it seems like it's improving). The Tuckahoe District, where I live, has a nice variety of homes. Most of them were built from the 20s through the 60s and 70s, I believe, but there is also some newer construction. The neighborhoods along Patterson Ave., which runs from downtown (the Fan District) through the West End, are nice. Some of the older homes along here have been nicely remodeled. I would say that most of the homes in this area run from about $200K (for a small rancher or tri-level) to about $600K (for a larger colonial, cape cod, or remodeled home); that's just my guess, but I think those numbers are fairly close. I would say that most of them are either partial or full brick construction, while some of the ones closer to the River Road area (which runs along the north end of the James River) may include other elements as well, like stone. The homes in this area are probably my favorite in the Richmond area. I'm not sure exactly where the school districting lines are, but most of this area feeds into Tuckahoe Elementary, Tuckahoe Middle, and Freeman or Tucker High Schools (which are all good schools). A little further out west and north is the Glen Allen/Short Pump area which has mainly newer construction in the typical suburban setting; Most of them are either brick or vinyl (or both). I would say that most of these homes are in the $200K to $600K range as well. In the Wyndham neighborhood (in Glen Allen) the average price is probably more around $400K. As you mentioned before, the schools in this area are good (I don't really know the names of the elementary schools, but Pocahontas and Short Pump middle schools, and Deep Run and Godwin high schools are all very good). Also, I should mention that the area around Godwin high schools is a little older than the rest of the Short Pump area; I think most of the homes there were probably built during the 80s and 90s, so they might be a little more appealing with a little more character and more mature landscape.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions.

Wow I didn't know I spent THAT long writing that two replies snuck in... well it was between like 10 and 1! Don't get me started on Short Pump... don't let the avatar and signature fool you. I've had many a tiff over that dot on the map and those graphics are a part of my surrender. Henrico's schools in general are good and so are Chesterfield's... although Chesterfield has some issues with its growth. However, if you're looking for ranchers, I don't think there are too many near Short Pump. Most homes out there are McMansions or super-overpriced versions of the same models you can find elsewhere. I hope you find what you like and like what you find.

Man I'm slow... Welcome evanf!

Edited by Cadeho

If you're looking for homes with more character, you generally want to stay closer to the city. I believe that most of the homes in the Fan District were built in the early 1900s and offer a lot of character; though, this neighborhood is within Richmond city itself, which doesn't offer the best school system (although it seems like it's improving).

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions.

Is the Fan District so named because of the shape / pattern on a map?

Thanks although I'm getting old and my memory's a little rusty (yeah, Burt laugh!), I'm still promising myself I'll get down to the courthouse to study the neighborhoods better.

The Fan is named because of the way the streets "fanned out" from Monroe Park.

Welcome, Turbo. "Old Man" Cadeho has pretty well covered the field of housing in the Richmond market, but don't cross him with talk of Short Pump (lol!!!!) As for the southside of the James, Westover Hills and Forest Hill, and especially Riverside Drive and Cherokee Road, are extremely attrctive areas within the City Limits. Salisbury off of Huguenot Road in Chesterfield County is choice!!

Ask your real estate agent to drive you through the Northside between Brookland Parkway on the south, Chamberlayne Avenue on the east, Hermitage Road on the west and Bryan Park on the north. Bellvue, in the middle of this district, is a groovy nighborhood of modest homes filled with progressive minded families. Shirley McLaine and her brother Warren Beatty grew up nearby. There are some elegant old homes on Palmyra and Confederate Avenues (Governor Tim Kaine's permanent home is here) as well as on nearby Seminary Avenue in Ginter Park. North of Bellvue Avenue is a lovely section centered near Pope Avenue.

The area around the University of Richmond, as evanf points out, is beautiful with pricey homes. Cary Street Road, River Road and Windsor Farms are deluxe!

Happy home shopping.

Edited by burt

I think it would be fair to say that most of the schools west of Richmond city (western Henrico, Chesterfield, and even further out like Goochland, Hanover, and Powhatan counties) are a safe bet. I don't know Chesterfield and it's neighborhoods too well, but I've heard their schools are fairly comparable to those of western Henrico. Although Richmond has beautiful neighborhoods surrounding the entire city, as Cadeho and burt pointed out, if you want an older home with character AND good schools you probably want to look in the Near West End or the Southside (in Chesterfield county). If you do end up within Richmond city limits (maybe somewhere in the Northside or the Fan), I've heard that the elementary schools are actually pretty good (it's mainly the middle and high schools that have problems).

I think it would be fair to say that most of the schools west of Richmond city (western Henrico, Chesterfield, and even further out like Goochland, Hanover, and Powhatan counties) are a safe bet. I don't know Chesterfield and it's neighborhoods too well, but I've heard their schools are fairly comparable to those of western Henrico. Although Richmond has beautiful neighborhoods surrounding the entire city, as Cadeho and burt pointed out, if you want an older home with character AND good schools you probably want to look in the Near West End or the Southside (in Chesterfield county). If you do end up within Richmond city limits (maybe somewhere in the Northside or the Fan), I've heard that the elementary schools are actually pretty good (it's mainly the middle and high schools that have problems).

I don't know how one gets into it, but the Governor's School in old Maggie Walker at Lombardy and Leigh Streets has some of the brightest high-school level students in Metro Richmond.

You have to test to be accepted into Maggie Walker -- it is very prestigious and students from Chesterfield, Henrico, and Richmond compete for spots. There is something similar in Alexandria/Arlington called Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, which draws students from as far away as Manassas.

Yeah, Maggie Walker Governor's School is also a good option. I think if you maintain an A/B average through middle school (or maybe just all of 8th grade) you are eligible to apply to the school. I'm not sure what the acceptance rate is but it's rather competitive.

Edited by evanf

• 2 years later...

After a 6 month hiatus from the forum, I'm back! Sorry I have been busy with business. I always told myself I would com back to this city! After 11 years, 3 states and 2 countries later I'm coming back to Richmond! good.gif This summer I plan on purchasing a home and renovating it and moving back to Richmond next year! I already have a home in mind its just working with the owner to sell it to me at a reasonable price! If not then the search begins!

After a 6 month hiatus from the forum, I'm back! Sorry I have been busy with business. I always told myself I would com back to this city! After 11 years, 3 states and 2 countries later I'm coming back to Richmond! good.gif This summer I plan on purchasing a home and renovating it and moving back to Richmond next year! I already have a home in mind its just working with the owner to sell it to me at a reasonable price! If not then the search begins!

Nothing compares to Richmond in any part of the world! My goal is to have the world see how great of a city it is! Even though many of its residents do not think so!

Nothing compares to Richmond in any part of the world! My goal is to have the world see how great of a city it is! Even though many of its residents do not think so!

It's funny how no one thinks so unless they've done a lot of traveling or lived in other places around the US and world. I returned to Richmond this past weekend for a short visit after 5 years! It was great to be back home and Richmond - what a city...if only it knew its potential!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Paul Hammond has posted this excellent video on his Greater Jackson Ward blog.

It was produced by The Greater Richmond Partnership.

Play it full screen for best effect. :good:

http://www.gjwn.net/...-come-and-stay/

This is nice! I remember viewing this on some other website with other ones.... but I forgot the name of the website! :dunno:

So.... I guess I'll have to keep Google-ing! :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

This is nice! I remember viewing this on some other website with other ones.... but I forgot the name of the website! :dunno:

So.... I guess I'll have to keep Google-ing! :silly:

Ha! I found that website I was referring to! I have a feeling you all may have seen it, but then again, it amazes me at how much people push to get RVA's name out. Find what you love, and love what you find should be the new city advertising motto. And just so I don't forget this website again, I bookmarked it :thumbsup:

http://www.lovewhatyoufind.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...