Richmond International Airport

eandslee

and to confirm what I said about the Airtran on Ukrop's bags:

On the bag

Ukrop's Super Markets is putting some of its marketing muscle behind the upcoming arrival of low-cost airline AirTran Airways.

Paper bags distributed to customers shopping at the area's No. 1 grocery chain sport welcome messages for the Orlando, Fla.-based airline.

"We are glad to promote this because it will help our region," said Robert S. Ukrop, the chain's president and CEO.

Ukrop's changes the designs of its paper bags about eight to 12 times a year. Sometimes the look may be for the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays. Other times it might be to promote one of its programs, such as the Brand Bonanza, pharmacy or the community groups that are assisted from its Valued Customer Card program.

The AirTran bag arrived in stores the week before Memorial Day. The promotion will end around July 1.

Ukrop's isn't endorsing the airline or showing favoritism, he said. "It is all about supporting improved air service out of Richmond.".............

whole article

Eric, check out today's RTD.  There's a good story about AirTran.  Aparently the 1st weekend's flights to Atlanta are all but sold out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I'm back! Thanks for pointing out the article, Burt. It was a very good read indeed! Can't wait to see Air Tran flying in and out of Richmond...just 3 more days to go!

There's another story in RTD today, Eric, dealing with the type of aircraft AirTran will use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that was the first article I read from the paper today when I got home from work. They are really building Air Tran up...I hope it continues! You're right Coupe, I do believe that if we can support Air Tran here like crazy, it will only be a matter of a short time before Southwest and definitely, JetBlue start flying in and out of here! How exciting!

eric, is this terminal in NY complete yet? I bet after Southwest sees AirTrans success, it won't be long before they call Richmond home :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phase I of the terminal expansion was completed in February of this year. Phase II (which includes only 4 additional gates) began in February as well. So the brunt of the project is complete, so there really isn't any excuse for Southwest not coming to Richmond other than issues not pertaining to available space in both Islip, NY and Richmond. There's got to be some other reason why they're not here yet. I thought they would have jump aboard the Richmond market once Richmond put up so much money for advertising once a low-fare carrier entered the market, but they didn't. I was very surpised. All the better for Air Tran though. I'm actually getting tired of hearing Southwest's empty promises to land in Richmond. They need to stop playing with our minds...they need to "crap or get off the pot!"

Phase I of the terminal expansion was completed in February of this year.  Phase II (which includes only 4 additional gates) began in February as well.  So the brunt of the project is complete, so there really isn't any excuse for Southwest not coming to Richmond other than issues not pertaining to available space in both Islip, NY and Richmond.  There's got to be some other reason why they're not here yet.  I thought they would have jump aboard the Richmond market once Richmond put up so much money for advertising once a low-fare carrier entered the market, but they didn't.  I was very surpised.  All the better for Air Tran though.  I'm actually getting tired of hearing Southwest's empty promises to land in Richmond.  They need to stop playing with our minds...they need to "crap or get off the pot!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eric. I didn't know that any additional gates were planned at this time. That's welcome news. The BIG work is virtually a new building extending from the present terminal entrance to the new 2-level roadway; departures on upper level, and arrivals on the lower (street) level. Thus all the check-in airline ticket counters will be upstairs and considerably expanded baggage carousels downstairs. New escalators and restaurants/cocktail lounges will be added.

After seeing several of those AIRLINE segments on A&E I can't say I would be thrilled to book on Southwest. I want an assigned seat when I fly. Jet Blue is another story! :)

This is great news:

The merger between US Airways and America West Airlines has be OK'd. Remember earlier in this thread how I mentioned that if this happened Richmond will have direct flights from Richmond to places like Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ? Well, it looks like this fall will be when the merger is finalized. So, in the very near future, Richmond will more than likely have, at least, several new non-stop destinations in the west, which is super news!

This article talks about the merger approval:

Article

This is great news:

The merger between US Airways and America West Airlines has be OK'd.  Remember earlier in this thread how I mentioned that if this happened Richmond will have direct flights from Richmond to places like Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ?  Well, it looks like this fall will be when the merger is finalized.  So, in the very near future, Richmond will more than likely have, at least, several new non-stop destinations in the west, which is super news!

This article talks about the merger approval:

Article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Non stop to Vegas? Since they will maintain their hub and spoke system, wouldn't Richmond flyers have to travel to Vegas via either Charlotte or Pittsburgh?

Non stop to Vegas?  Since they will maintain their hub and spoke system, wouldn't Richmond flyers have to travel to Vegas via either Charlotte or Pittsburgh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, you may be correct on that Burt. Let me do a bit of research because I'm almost positive that Troy Bell, the airport's public rep, said that this would be the case, but I'd have to find the exact article in the RTD to make sure. That's where I had really gotten the information. Then again, I'm not sure that if you fly out of Richmond currently, that you wouldn't have more than 1 stop before you got to those destinations. At any rate, I'll see what I can find, just to make sure. Thanks for bringing that up because you make a good point.

• 3 weeks later...

Chip Jones in yesterday's RTD (business page) says Jet Blue is reported to be a good fit for RIC, possibly in 2006 when the airline receives it fleet of new 100-seat regional jets.

I tried to retrieve this story this morning, but apparently the TD is re-doings its online service and I couldn't access the story. Maybe Eric or Coupe will have better luck digging it up. :) The story was in Wednesday's edition (7/13).

Edited by burt

I also read the article...it said that a USA Today article specifically mentioned Richmond as a more likely market to expand into in 2006. This means a low-fare carrier with direct flights to New York  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is just awesome to hear such news! I knew they were talking about it, but this just solidifies their claim to come to Richmond. JetBlue is a superior, high class, but low fare airline that just got rave reviews from Airport Business news (which I happen to keep up with, go figure) that they were #1 when it comes to flights leaving and arriving on time with JetBlue being late or having cancelled flights 0% of the time! That stat blew every other airline out of the water! JetBlue, you will not regret your decision to come to Richmond! Go JetBlue!

There are a couple of stories on today's RTD Biz page (our friend Chip Jones). One is about the demolition of the old 1950 control tower. Its replacement (a 172 foot tower north of the terminal) is now operational making the old one obsolete.

The other story deals with quicker turn-arounds for Delta at it hubs and, consequently, at RIC as well.

how bout these apples!!! June was RIC's best month ever on record for passenger numbers!!!!

"Boosted by affordable airfares, ridership increased to 258,416, an 11.7 percent increase from last June, and the airport's best month ever, spokesman Troy Bell said. The previous record was set in October 2000, when it was "252,000 and change," he said."

Airport ridership soars here

Good article about prices out of RIC. This is really good news for the airport and the area. Check it out!

Richmond International article

This page shows a rendering of the airport terminal when it will be finished as well, it features articles that have been written regarding RIC's growth. The rendering is one I've never seen before.

All about RIC

Good article about prices out of RIC.  This is really good news for the airport and the area.  Check it out!

Richmond International article

This page shows a rendering of the airport terminal when it will be finished as well, it features articles that have been written regarding RIC's growth.  The rendering is one I've never seen before.

All about RIC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eric. Check out a story by our friend Chip Jones on today's biz page titled SKYS ARE GETING FRIENDLIER. He talks about the increasing traffic and lower fares.

:)

Eric.  Check out a story by our friend Chip Jones on today's biz page titled SKYS ARE GETING FRIENDLIER.  He talks about the increasing traffic and lower fares.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, damn. I should have punched in your story before telling you mine. They're the same!!! You scooped me! :lol: