Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Richmond is seeking a design firm for the realignment of Dock St. from Pear to Pebbles St. (Ash St.) and closure to Nicholson St..

http://www.richmondgov.com/procurement/documents/bids/RFP_M150026172.pdf

A. Scope of work for this design services will include:

1. Design the relocation of Dock St. from Pear St. to Pebbles St. to include streetscape, ornamental lights and two travel lanes, curb and gutter, and sidewalks with a roundabout at the intersection of E. Main St. that will provide access above the 100 year flood plan, closure of Dock St. from Pear St. to Nicholson St.

2. Design E. Main St. streetscape from Pebble St. to Nicholson St. consisting of two travel lanes, curb and gutter, bike lanes, parking lanes, brick sidewalks and ornamental lights along both sides of E. Main St. and intersection improvement at the Nicholson St. intersection.

3. Design Nicholson Street streetscape for installation of ornamental lights, sidewalk and landscaping from E. Main St. intersection to Williamsburg Ave. Future consideration should be given to route 5 Relocation Project.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apparently construction on the Floyd Ave. bike boulevard is starting next week

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_e6ab5711-ad36-53b2-905c-3b3118b42f68.html

edit: this may have already been posted elsewhere on the forum, if so, ignore this

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 1 month later...

Weigh in on DC to RVA high-speed rail station/line options by January 8th

Details on proposed routes/stations for High Speed Rail Corridor through Richmond.

http://rvanews.com/news/weigh-in-on-dc-to-rva-high-speed-rail-stationline-options-by-january-8th/132956?fan-of-the-fan

Details!!

http://www.dc2rvarail.com/about/project-maps/richmond-section/

Keep digging, there is a ton of information these documents.

Edited by Icetera
Added details link

Yeah, hopefully this gets the ball rolling for even more flights to points west. I really hope this flight exceeds expectations and I hope Frontier Airlines comes and joins in with direct flights to DEN (drum up a little competition).  You are right...this is HUGE and folks have been waiting a very long time for this to happen!  Use it folks or it will go away and we may never see it again.  Fill up these flights!  Hopefully, the flight times are good.  I'll be watching this closely to see how this flight performs. 

This quote is interesting and comes from Denver International Airport's managing officials:

"Richmond currently is DIA's most-traveled domestic destination without nonstop service, with 65,000 annual fliers, airport officials said."

United may need a larger plane very soon!  Or another airline flying the RIC - DEN route!

Update:  Looks like RIC will make another announcement tomorrow for adding another direct flight to somewhere in Florida!  Good week for flight news at RIC!  This tells me that Richmond's economy IS doing very well, otherwise you wouldn't see added flights like this!  Let's keep this trend going!

On 1/7/2016 at 10:18 AM, Icetera said:

I looked through most of the plans.  I have to say, although the Main Street Station [only] via the S-line station plan looks like it will likely cost the most money, I do not think there is a better opportunity for Richmond than said plan.  Given the passenger traffic that flows through Staples Mill, just having that traffic alone migrate downtown would be a boon for the area.  However, if you include all the additional traffic generated by high speed rail, it is not too far fetched to imagine a scenario where 500,000+ patrons/year use the station for intercity travel alone.  That's almost 20 times the current amount of patrons for MSS.  Furthermore, with all the additional tracks and the new bridge across the river, it would likely make commuter rail to Petersburg and Ashland feasible, and it would provide logical connection between a future region-wide BRT system, Intercity Buses and Intercity/Commuter Rail rail systems.  I suspect that MSS could easily see in excess of ten thousand passengers per day which is much higher than the current 100-200 per day.  These passengers would inject an energy that would be unimaginably beneficial to local businesses and street life in the Bottom in my opinion

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I looked through most of the plans.  I have to say, although the Main Street Station [only] via the S-line station plan looks like it will likely cost the most money, I do not think there is a better opportunity for Richmond than said plan.  Given the passenger traffic that flows through Staples Mill, just having that traffic alone migrate downtown would be a boon for the area.  However, if you include all the additional traffic generated by high speed rail, it is not too far fetched to imagine a scenario where 500,000+ patrons/year use the station for intercity travel alone.  That's almost 20 times the current amount of patrons for MSS.  Furthermore, with all the additional tracks and the new bridge across the river, it would likely make commuter rail to Petersburg and Ashland feasible, and it would provide logical connection between a future region-wide BRT system, Intercity Buses and Intercity/Commuter Rail rail systems.  I suspect that MSS could easily see in excess of ten thousand passengers per day which is much higher than the current 100-200 per day.  These passengers would inject an energy that would be unimaginably beneficial to local businesses and street life in the Bottom in my opinion

While I do agree that Main Street station is the best option for high speed rail and intercity rail, I don't think that it would serve commuter rail well. When reading the plans, there would be four platforms after the station is renovated and if you add commuter rail to the over 30 trains per day expected there, I think it would just clog the rail bridge leading to mss. Also, There isn't much traffic on I-95 between Petersburg and Ashland making commuter rail useless. I think a more attractive option would be to short pump or midlothian(if they can create a dense population center like west broad village).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep.  The vote is tonight.  I have a gut feeling that it will pass.  

I really wish we were voting for a leg of light rail, though.  I studied in Glasgow, Scotland a decade ago and absolutely loved their Underground.  It is the simplest system - a full circle connecting the inner neighborhoods of town.  

It would be neat to have the same, connecting Forest Hill Manchester and points north.  

underground.JPG

21 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Ultimately, the same infrastructure for BRT can be converted to light rail can't it?  

From what I've been told, it sure can.  The good thing is the most of the right-of-ways would already be established and most of what would need to be done is to lay track and set up for the electrical wire, etc (which, to me sounds like a very involved and daunting task), but I suppose it wouldn't be too bad.  Still, I think it would cost a ton of money.

PASSED.

7-1, 1 abstention. The line of speakers in support apparently extended out of the building. Well done, RVA.

User Actions
 Following
CityLogoTwitter_bigger.jpgCity of Richmond, VA@CityRichmondVA

Richmond City Council just passed BRT project 7-1, with 1 abstention. #RVACouncil @GrtcPulse #RVABRT

8:11 PM - 8 Feb 2016

Retweeted

Liked

More

Retweeted

Liked

More
Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 4

I'm excited!  I think this has solidified my desire to find a house in Church Hill as opposed to south of Byrd Park area.  I just hope I can get all my finances in order before it gets built and prices start rising.

Also, I wonder how it will handle cyclists who commute to Broad to connect to the BRT.

• Like 1

It's amazing to me that the passing of this project has already generated desires for people to live on the route!  If this happening just amongst us, it's got to be happening across the city which will drive demand for housing along the corridor.  If this continues, I see many residential projects going up in the very near future. It wouldn't surprise me if some developers have projects already waiting in the wings...they were just waiting for last night's passage!

• Like 1