Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Is this not the WORST possible time for the state to consider taking over the airport, with the recent AA, US merger?  Don't we want to appear super stable as a hub, and not one that is in a power struggle?  Jerry Orr has done a great job from what I can tell....why mess with success?  Oh wait, it's the government.

Most of those questions aren't rhetorical...so I hope someone who is in the know can answer them.

Jerry Orr and some in the business community have long supported the notion of creating an autonomous airport authority. Most of the success of the airport is attributable to Jerry Orr's ability to cut cost and maintain an efficient operation. The city's ownership really has little if anything to do with the success of the airport from what I can tell. That said, I do see this as another republican effort to take power from local governments.

I think in normal Charlottean mode we are freaking out! When the slightest change comes we fear losing what we have. Our hub should be good, as well as the panthers and B of A...I do question Harris Teeter. But we can't have it all. What I am curious to know, is about some of the new projects at the airport. Does anyone have some good photos of the construction or renovated areas? 

Charlotte is freaking out because we want a study FIRST... A slow approach. No offense, but I don't want lawmakers from Black Swamp, lizard Lick, etc. passing such big laws all willy nilly. What happens to the debt we owe on the airport if it Transfers, etc.

To me, this comes off as "in your face Charlotte" . Not that it's a bad idea, but it just seems like GOP lawmakers are beating their chest.

This is very much an in your face move to the local government.

NC State goverment gives Charlotte airport only $500,000 per year....the same amount it gives to Greensboro and RDU.

This move would be unprecidented in that the State (Governor, Senate, House) would appoint 3 members to the Charlotte airport authority.

No other airport authority in the State has this setup. All the other airport authorities have their boards appointed locally.

In fact a minority of the representatives would be from Mecklenburg. The majority will be from surrounding counties (which have put in ZERO investment into the airport) and the state.

I do think that Charlotte will need to move to an aiport authority but the current proposed model is flawed.

http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/11847672/1/oneworld-ceo-sees-more-global-flights-for-charlotte-philly-phoenix.html

Bruce Ashby, former VP of marketing for US Airways, is the current president of OneWorld.  He sees big things in store for the CLT.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Yes if the hub went away and we only had our local traffic then the cost per passenger to the airlines would increase.

Here are some comparisons with other hub airports for cost per passenger:

CLT- $1.18

PHL- $9.50

Chicago- $9.50

LAX- $6.00

DFW- $3.00

MIA- $14.50

Something else to note is that the cost per passenger at CLT is continuing to decline. Jerry Orr's goal is to get it as close to Zero as possible.

Actually, MIA is nearing $30 per enplaned passenger.  Second highest fees in the US (JFK is first).

I thought the push was coming from the rep in Matthews. Wasn't the idea to give more sway to the Meck County townships?

I think it also has more to do with Local Republicans in the minority showing Local Democrats in the majority that even though dems run Charlotte, they run Raleigh.

That's just how it comes across. I wonder if Pat mcCrory has said anything about it? Why the rush? Why no study?

So what if it drags out the process of creating an authority? It's not like CLT is falling to shambles. What is the big push for?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I thought the push was coming from the rep in Matthews. Wasn't the idea to give more sway to the Meck County townships?

Under the current proposal only 3 of the 11 members would be appointed by Char/Meck. The majority would be appointed by State Goverment and the surrounding counties (Gaston, Cabbaruss, and Union) . Basically Charlotte will be surrendering total control of the airport to the State and Surrounding Counties whcih have had VERY minimal investment in the airport. This plan is not well thought out at all and does NOT follow the pattern of all the other Airport Authorities in the State. It is giving the middle finger to the City of Charlotte. It is 100% Political.

I have no problem with an Airport Authority but I think a majority of the representation should come from Char/Meck...I mean we are the ones that have been running it for the past 80 years.

• Like 2

Under the current proposal only 3 of the 11 members would be appointed by Char/Meck. The majority would be appointed by State Goverment and the surrounding counties (Gaston, Cabbaruss, and Union) . Basically Charlotte will be surrendering total control of the airport to the State and Surrounding Counties whcih have had VERY minimal investment in the airport. This plan is not well thought out at all and does NOT follow the pattern of all the other Airport Authorities in the State. It is giving the middle finger to the City of Charlotte. It is 100% Political.

I have no problem with an Airport Authority but I think a majority of the representation should come from Char/Meck...I mean we are the ones that have been running it for the past 80 years.

What can be done about this?  I've never really wanted to get involved with political BS, but this just strikes the wrong cord with me and doesn't seem to make any sense other then it being a power play.  Pat was good to this city as a mayor, but I knew when he got a cushy job after being voted out that it wouldn't be long until he was just a part of the Republican Regime that is going to kill this country.  I've been looking to apply for a few positions at the airport, but I just don't know anymore.

I have not heard McCrory give his opinion about an airport authority. At this point he might be able to stop the bill if he vetoes it, but I do not see that happening. Someone in the media should ask our former mayor what he think. I know media people troll through this forum!

The media should ask him WHY it's so important to fast track the proposed bill?

Is it because the airport is not running properly & needs immediate action?

Or is it just Raleigh partisan politics bullying the states largest economy using one of the states largest employers as some sort of partisan chest thumping

Is pat aware how many people split their ticket for him?

Looks like our governor does not need to sign the bill for it to become law. Anything "local bill" that affects less than 15 counties does not get signed by the governor for it to become law. McCrory also has been avoiding answering what his own opinion is of creating an airport authority.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/21/3869773/mccrory-not-required-to-sign-off.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/23/3872802/mccrory-airport-dispute-is-between.html

Interesting article on the O website for those following the Authority conversation.  McCrory is taking a very hands-off approach to the whole debate, even refusing to answer which way he would have leaned when he was mayor.  He says that it's a local issue between competing "factions".  One of the most interesting aspects of the write-up is this tidbit -

"Charlotte Douglas aviation director Jerry Orr, 71, who could retire soon, has suggested that he would welcome authority oversight. Relations between Orr and city staff have been strained over questions about supervision and airport security."

With the comendable job that Orr has done, I would trust his judgement on this matter over any other person.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/23/3872802/mccrory-airport-dispute-is-between.html

Interesting article on the O website for those following the Authority conversation.  McCrory is taking a very hands-off approach to the whole debate, even refusing to answer which way he would have leaned when he was mayor.  He says that it's a local issue between competing "factions".  One of the most interesting aspects of the write-up is this tidbit -

"Charlotte Douglas aviation director Jerry Orr, 71, who could retire soon, has suggested that he would welcome authority oversight. Relations between Orr and city staff have been strained over questions about supervision and airport security."

With the comendable job that Orr has done, I would trust his judgement on this matter over any other person.

I wouldn't trust Jerry Orr as far as I could throw him.  Yes, he's done a good job of financial stewardship, but he rules with an iron fist and has an ego the size of Mecklenburg County.  Is it a good idea to create an airport authority?  Maybe.  Should that authority be set up as the legislature is seeking?  Absolutely not!  Why should suburbs of Charlotte have more power in an airport authority than the city and county the facility is located in?  This smells bad all over.