Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

The Mediterranean restaurant on Seigle Ave that was approved in a rezoning back in the spring is finally under construction.

Based on the renderings several pages back, the guy is investing some serious money into this spot. Not a good location for this kind of restaurant IMO. 

Low income neighborhood to the north and north-east, unattractive empty lot to the south. Garbage truck parking to the east. Income restricted apartments across the street.

Maybe he knows something we don't with regards to the future of the 7-8 acre tract of empty land on the corner of Seigle and 10th.

Wait, so it's this random old building? That is equal parts confounding and exhilarating. You're right, the renderings look intense, and it doesn't sense given the location. However, that balcony will have a phenomenal view of the skyline.

Hmm... Yknow, I will say one thing for the entire Belmont neighborhood: If all of its commercial properties were actually utilized to their full potential (and, of course, the surrounding residents patronized them) Belmont would have the very best neighborhood network and economy in the city. Great old bones with several neighborhood nodes as centers. I'm holding out that it will end up that way.

^^ the "pocket parks" probably won't be for "the neighborhood", but rather for the residents...   they will likely be gated off and the result will be more like a landscaped courtyard:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2190375,-80.818978,3a,90y,85.72h,91.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stVyej3p3QgbhIK2aEC4ioA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2201985,-80.8187255,3a,90y,111.31h,98.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTv1pls5OzX6a-5oyKcwGxw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2150329,-80.8539909,3a,90y,312.72h,95.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNu4qkCln-uk-k0VMH-rMkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2152169,-80.8537292,3a,90y,308.28h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stSfBXah0QaVaa5qnY4HY-Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wow, you may have just helped us dodge a major bullet. I HATE those features in those buildings. It is such a naive feature to have when you're in an urban environment. Residents aren't going to bother using those spaces; if they were actually overtly public, they could actually be functionally awesome, but I suppose I gave this site plan too much credit. Thanks for the tip, Arch.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Also, Joe's Doughs is opening up a storefront at 1721 N Davidson near the intersection of N. Davidson and Parkwood.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/11/10/gourmet-donut-shop-finds-permanent-home-in-noda.html 

So, that's the building Abari has been working to open. Maybe they went broke? Unless they found a creative way to slit the space up for two tenants...?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

So the developers have said that this building at the corner of Parkwood and Brevard will have several "Live-Work Lofts" in its primary retail spots on the corner. Does anyone have real-world experience with that concept? As in, a retail/business space on the first floor of an apartment or townhome development, with the upstairs portion of it being an apartment.

I'm told the "Reni Mart" corner store at the Renaissance in NoDa is one, but it's owned. These units will be rentals. Someone mentioned one place in South End with Live-Work Lofts but they usually result in someone just living there, nothing more.

However, I have the feeling that they can be good long-term planning for neighborhoods that they are built in, because they add an alternative option to the market for entrepreneurs and private artists, etc. They seem like they are market-flexible, being able to be used for retail space if people want an affordable way to present their craft, but also not just being a vacant storefront if the market is not calling for retail in that spot (it would at least be lived in). Like in the NoDa area many new-construction retail spaces have been vacant for years because it's still a niche way of doing business these days, at a premium price (compared to strip malls and, malls)

It seems comparable to the proprietor who would live above their store in pre-WWII era stores/apartments, back when it was legal to build things like that in the zoning codes.

What do you guys think about this issue?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

This is an example of the South End version.

http://www.mytownhome.com/charlotte/condos/abbott.htm

This is meant for a personal office, I believe since customer/client parking is seriously limited. It may be used as media room or any other purpose. Not at all like the small business application I believe you suggest.

Affordable housing in Belmont up for a vote Monday

In general I support this. It's right on the Pegram St bus line, and housing seniors is a much more stable investment regarding property-values than others. Besides, it's the church's land, so it makes sense they'd want affordable housing. Also, I'm looking forward to the streetscape it will create, rather than three large surface lots that are there now.

So the rezoning was approved already, this vote is for the CHA funding approval. Here is the site plan from their rezoning that was approved in 2010:

Thoughts, yay or nay?

Belmont.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Affordable housing in Belmont up for a vote Monday

In general I support this. It's right on the Pegram St bus line, and housing seniors is a much more stable investment regarding property-values than others. Besides, it's the church's land, so it makes sense they'd want affordable housing. Also, I'm looking forward to the streetscape it will create, rather than three large surface lots that are there now.

So the rezoning was approved already, this vote is for the CHA funding approval. Here is the site plan from their rezoning that was approved in 2010:

Thoughts, yay or nay?

Nay.

Belmont has enough affordable housing. Senior housing sounds great, but you generally just end up with the kids of deadbeats, or deadbeats themselves crashing with the old person the housing is designed for.

With this project, over 50% of the housing units in Belmont will now be affordable. You don't reduce a neighborhood's poverty and crime levels by continuing to concentrate poverty into a small area. Belmont already got fudgeed over when the Vistas @ 707 project was converted from market rate to affordable. It was originally supposed to be 75% market rate units with 25% affordable units to complement the 100% affordable units in the original phase of Seigle Point and the townhomes. Now it is 100% affordable units. Seems like every time other areas of the city rally against affordable housing, the solution the city comes up with is just to dump more of it in Belmont and unfortunately there still aren't enough people financially invested in the neighborhood to put up a fight.

33 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Nay.

Belmont has enough affordable housing. Senior housing sounds great, but you generally just end up with the kids of deadbeats, or deadbeats themselves crashing with the old person the housing is designed for.

With this project, over 50% of the housing units in Belmont will now be affordable. You don't reduce a neighborhood's poverty and crime levels by continuing to concentrate poverty into a small area. Belmont already got fudgeed over when the Vistas @ 707 project was converted from market rate to affordable. It was originally supposed to be 75% market rate units with 25% affordable units to complement the 100% affordable units in the original phase of Seigle Point and the townhomes. Now it is 100% affordable units. Seems like every time other areas of the city rally against affordable housing, the solution the city comes up with is just to dump more of it in Belmont and unfortunately there still aren't enough people financially invested in the neighborhood to put up a fight.

Good point... I've actually seen that happen. Damn...

28 minutes ago, CoffeeSamurai said:

Drove through Louise Ave to check out whats happening in Belmont last week. I noticed a few people inside that historic mill, looked like contractors cleaning up/moving stuff around. Any updates on that development? Is construction finally starting?

Well, that mill (you mean the really old brown brick one, right?) has been a recycling plant for years. It has thousands and thousands of parcels of crap. So it's possible it was just employees sorting stuff.

Idk what the time frame is for it. That will be the real catalyst for Belmont, IMO.

7 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Well, that mill (you mean the really old brown brick one, right?) has been a recycling plant for years. It has thousands and thousands of parcels of crap. So it's possible it was just employees sorting stuff.

Idk what the time frame is for it. That will be the real catalyst for Belmont, IMO.

Thanks. I saw a lot for sale on Pamlico Street (Zillow) and decided to check it out. I saw a couple of new homes being built on that street so I just assumed they were building in anticipation of that Mill property being redeveloped. As for the lot for sale, drove up and couldn't find any signage. Combing through local records, looks like that lot and a bunch of lots around there have been scooped up in the last 6 months by real estate investment groups (about $70k/lot per the few records I could decipher). Guess I am out of luck!!

Anyway seems like a neighborhood that appears to be on the rise as I found quite a few other random lots with really nice houses on them. It looks like the neighborhood is mostly residential, a lot like Cherry. That neighborhood seemingly blew up overnight and I don't recall any kind of ground breaking retail project kick all that off. Hard to tell which way Belmont will go, but being so close to uptown you would think it is a safe bet for revitalization. 

The light rail isn't too far either, but I wonder how far light rail revitalization impacts typically radiate outwards. 

So a bunch of random thoughts that may have already been covered. A bit new to this forum (despite creating an account a while ago) and look forward to being a part of the urban planet community. 

1 minute ago, CoffeeSamurai said:

The light rail isn't too far either, but I wonder how far light rail revitalization impacts typically radiate outwards. 

The BLE will provide some accessibility improvements in the area around Hunter and towards the park. But honestly I think ped/trail/bike improvements associated with the BLE will have a larger impact on the Davidson st side of Belmont.

Phase 2 of the Streetcar will also provide some new connectivity at the SE corner of the neighborhood.

Belmont is about to blow up!

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

The BLE will provide some accessibility improvements in the area around Hunter and towards the park. But honestly I think ped/trail/bike improvements associated with the BLE will have a larger impact on the Davidson st side of Belmont.

Phase 2 of the Streetcar will also provide some new connectivity at the SE corner of the neighborhood.

Belmont is about to blow up!

Oh right! I completely forgot about phase 2. Looking at the map, it appears the street car will swing around behind the Mill at Hawthorne and Barnhardt (though I can't find any street nearby called Barnhardt). I think there are a couple of retail businesses over there (yoga studio) already. Nice opportunity for that Mill developer.

1 hour ago, CoffeeSamurai said:

Oh right! I completely forgot about phase 2. Looking at the map, it appears the street car will swing around behind the Mill at Hawthorne and Barnhardt (though I can't find any street nearby called Barnhardt). I think there are a couple of retail businesses over there (yoga studio) already. Nice opportunity for that Mill developer.

The only thing "Barnhardt" is Barnhardt Manufacturing on Hawthorne. And if Phase 2 goes past the mill, then that is brilliant! 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a survey crew truck parked on the site at 10th and Seigle this morning. This land has been for sale for a while and it is probably one of the larger tracts of land available within a mile of Uptown at ~ 8 acres.

Anyone heard if there is interest in this parcel?

The mediterranean restaurant being built in the old Jacob's Ladder building on Seigle has been making steady progress over the last two weeks. They've done a lot of grading work around the site. It should be a nice addition to the neighborhood, but I fear it's not going to be a good location for the type of food it is. The restaurateur bought the building back in 2013, so it won't be a lease situation.

30 minutes ago, Niner National said:

but I fear it's not going to be a good location for the type of food it is. The restaurateur bought the building back in 2013, so it won't be a lease situation.

I don't know, but that entire few blocks is a peculiar location for everything: It doesn't have easy access to the BLE, nor any Phase III streetcar stops, and it's a bit too far from N Davidson St and PM amenities; it acts as its own little node.

What that big corner lot needs is a development with a serious retail/service presence right on the corner. Siegle point is nice and dense, so with one more apt building above new retail, it should be able to make it a nice mini-hood.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I don't know, but that entire few blocks is a peculiar location for everything: It doesn't have easy access to the BLE, nor any Phase III streetcar stops, and it's a bit too far from N Davidson St and PM amenities; it acts as its own little node.

What that big corner lot needs is a development with a serious retail/service presence right on the corner. Siegle point is nice and dense, so with one more apt building above new retail, it should be able to make it a nice mini-hood.

Seigle Point is all low income though, with the exception of the townhome owners, so that may deter development some. I'd love to see something nice go in there though, since I'm one of those townhome owners. I really hope between that parcel and the one on the other side of 10th where the old convenient store is, some quality, market rate housing and retail gets built. Belmont needs more market rate housing. It has way too large a concentration of affordable housing.

47 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Belmont needs more market rate housing. It has way too large a concentration of affordable housing.

Truth. If/when that development near the church at Allen and Pegram are built, Belmont will be 50 percent affordable housing.

It's funny because, from living in this area, Belmont could easily see just as much market-rate development as any other neighborhood, but there's still that fear of the unknown. But Belmont has the best connectivity and location of any other area in Charlotte. I'm just waiting on the Hawthorne Mill project to start.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

Great new for Belmont!

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/31156/the-old-kellogg-plant-in-the-belmont-neighborhood-may-soon-house-a-brewery-restaurant-and-coffee-roaster/

You can still smell the sugar and dough as you walk through it. But in the next six months an old industrial plant at the entry to the Belmont neighborhood that once made chocolate chip cookies could become a social center.

Leases are coming together to bring a brewery, restaurant and coffee roaster to the massive building on Louise Avenue.

This is like a 5 minute walk from my house, so I hope it all comes together. It could really be a nice catalyst for the neighborhood. If this project knocks it out of the park and someone puts a quality project on the land at 10th and Seigle, you could have a nice little cluster of entertainment that is walking distance to Belmont, PM, and First Ward residents.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Great new for Belmont!

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/31156/the-old-kellogg-plant-in-the-belmont-neighborhood-may-soon-house-a-brewery-restaurant-and-coffee-roaster/

This is like a 5 minute walk from my house, so I hope it all comes together. It could really be a nice catalyst for the neighborhood. If this project knocks it out of the park and someone puts a quality project on the land at 10th and Seigle, you could have a nice little cluster of entertainment that is walking distance to Belmont, PM, and First Ward residents.

Nice. Otts St could be a cool little strip too one day. And then with the Hawthorne Mill renovation, it's one more step toward renovating the old Brick building at Pegram and Belmont.