Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Well one thing is the developers are buying the land and its generally up to the developers. When the counties tell them no they will go somewhere else to develop so the counties don't want that. It generally comes to how much the land went for. Maybe those locations where to high for what they wanted to spend and maybe it wasn't enough land for what they had designed.

basically because many of these developers don't give a d***. In the end, the people that suffer end up being the residents and students. The best the county can do to compensate for the negative effects is require proffers. The price of land isn't really the case. Compare land value in the eastern midlothian corridor to the western Hull st. corridor.

The town of Chester is planning - in fact, raising funds for - their very own performing and static arts center. And guess what? It will be named the Dotty Armstrong Center. She's Brad's mother, and when Brad was a tot growing up in Chester, his mother and father founded the John Rolfe Players and strove to establish an arts scene in the Chester area.

The Glenn Allen center out in the northwest part of Henrico is well established and doing just fine.

The old Henrico Theatre on Nine Mile Road in Highland Springs is currently undergoing renovation to become the performing arts center for the eastern part of the county.

I most devoutly wish this sort of thing were going on in depressed parts of the city to offer opportunities for kids in drug-ridden, crime infested areas. The shuttered old Robinson Theater in Church Hill; the Venus on Hull street and the Brookland on the boulevard of that name are buildings that should be used in this effort.

according to a recent in-depth study by Money magazine, Midlothian is the 37th best Great American Town. The magazine gave a comprehensive look at more than 1,300 cities, examining everything from air pollution index to the number of watering holes. Midlothian scored high in median income ($80,381 compared to its competitor average of $68,160) and crime risk, averaging half the personal and property crime rate of its average competitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat informative article about the fate of Cloverleaf Mall:

Cloverleaf hanging on

a couple tidbits:

"Tentative plans for the 82-acre site call for a complete redevelopment with homes, offices and retail space. The project plans will be revealed at two meetings next month at the mall on Midlothian Turnpike at Chippenham Parkway. One meeting will be held Aug. 16 at 6 p.m. and the other on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m."

"Chesterfield hopes the anticipated $200 million to $300 million worth of homes, businesses and stores built on the redeveloped site will be an economic catalyst for the Midlothian Turnpike corridor that connects Richmond to the county.

"The added value that will come about as a result of the redevelopment, we think will be huge," deputy county administrator Millard D. "Pete" Stith Jr. said. "We think that the success of the [redeveloped] mall [property] is going to positively impact Midlothian Turnpike in both directions.""

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some links to growth news for Chesterfield County. Looks like there will be another Wal-Mart across from Woodlake off of 360 just 3 miles away from another Wal-mart on the other side of 288. Check out the links:

County Observer Article 1

The following link is about the new Saint Francis Medical Center set to open at the end of this month:

County Observer Article 2

I cannot believe there will be two Super-Walmart's that close to one another. The growth on the Western Hull St corridor is simply amazing. It's becoming suburbia on steroids. They're gonna need an extension to Powhite to relieve 360's traffic woes soon! :(

just some stats:

-within two miles of the site, there are more than 1.5 million sf of retail with more added virtually every day

-there are 17,000 homes approved within 3 miles of the site, almost 5,000 of which are from a single upcoming development: Magnolia Green which will be the largest planned community in Virginia.

-Woodlake and Brandermill alone already have almost 4,000 homes EACH. Both communities also have over 50 neighborhoods each.

Is it just me or is NOVA gridlock fast approaching that part of Chesterfield. oh yea, and they better not stop building schools! good lord!

I cannot believe there will be two Super-Walmart's that close to one another. The growth on the Western Hull St corridor is simply amazing. It's becoming suburbia on steroids. They're gonna need an extension to Powhite to relieve 360's traffic woes soon! :(

just some stats:

-within two miles of the site, there are more than 1.5 million sf of retail with more added virtually every day

-there are 17,000 homes approved within 3 miles of the site, almost 5,000 of which are from a single upcoming development: Magnolia Green which will be the largest planned community in Virginia.

-Woodlake and Brandermill alone already have almost 4,000 homes EACH. Both communities also have over 50 neighborhoods each.

Is it just me or is NOVA gridlock fast approaching that part of Chesterfield. oh yea, and they better not stop building schools! good lord!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they should try to start urbanizing the area if it is to be such an important part of the community. Tysons is supposed to be trying to do just that themselves.

Maybe they should try to start urbanizing the area if it is to be such an important part of the community. Tysons is supposed to be trying to do just that themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it sounds like this community is in desperate need of some urbanization.

Walmart is getting so huge! I wonder if they will ever calmn down. Well Newport News won against Walmart maybe the people could get this one shot down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They only way Walmart will calm down is if people stop buying their product (or a bigger, badder, store comes along and eats their lunch).

sadly, these people probably will have no opposition to the wal-mart...itll mean easier parking considering the other one is always packed. Richmond already has 8 super-centers... This will make 9.

I doubt the type of urbanization you see in Tyson's will happen in that corridor of western chesterfield.,. especially the way the lots have already been zoned.....It's more likely to happen at Watkins Centre at the Midlothian Tnpke/rt 288 interchange. 2 new high schools are being built to accomodate the growth. When they open, they'll most likely be above capacity.

well kind of.. but also other areas including the rest of western chesterfield, powhatan, amelia, and other areas farther out. It sits near the highly accessible intersection of rt 288 and powhite pkwy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know where that is! My inlaws live not to far from 288 and chester rd. If you get off of 288 and go towards Jeff Davis its by the hilly part across from the rail road tracks.

Yall I went to the Chesterfield County growth management meeting a couple weeks ago and have been asked to serve on a small work group with Ed Barber, as a way to foster suggestions for other ways to deal with our county's infrastructure needs other than by raising building proffers to $17,000 - which makes homes completely unaffordable.

It seems to me like Chesterfield needs to mend their comprehensive plan and adopt 'prescriptive' zoning codes to allow for traditional neighborhood developments, thereby providing secure live/work neighborhoods (centered around schools) that would serve as small business 'incubators.' These would lessen our dependency on vehicles, thereby diminishing the need for additional road infrastructure. I also believe that we should work on utilizing access to the James River through federal tax credit programs, in order to encourage tourism as an industry-particularly with jamestown 2007 nearing- thereby giving us a broader tax base.

I don't know if anyone read the story on Richmond.com or not about the wing opening up at Shortpump townecenter it sounds really neat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was out there today, Joey, but eventhough the buildings look completed, the area was roped off requiring detours for shoppers. I think I read that the new stores in that section will open next week. Two of them are Ovis (or is it Orvis) and Saxon Shoes.

I also went over to Stony Point Fashion Park and had fun watching a couple of youngsters climbing the big wall at Dick's. Both of them (a boy about 10, and a little girl about eight), made it to the top and rang the bell! :lol: