Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

more on St. Francis Medical Center:

"......Throughout the $50 million construction process, St. Francis has been touted as having the atmosphere of a hotel, not a hospital. Not possible? Consider this: A four-story atrium complete with waterfalls, marble floors and a large vase of fresh flowers welcomes visitors. All 130 patient rooms are private and equipped with flat-screen TVs (which are also in family waiting areas).

Room service, served on china, can be delivered to a patient's room for no extra cost. Patients can choose from 14 different menus depending on their condition. Except for in the Intensive Care Unit, every room has a view of the gardens or something pleasant

more on St. Francis Medical Center:

"......Throughout the $50 million construction process, St. Francis has been touted as having the atmosphere of a hotel, not a hospital. Not possible? Consider this: A four-story atrium complete with waterfalls, marble floors and a large vase of fresh flowers welcomes visitors. All 130 patient rooms are private and equipped with flat-screen TVs (which are also in family waiting areas).

Room service, served on china, can be delivered to a patient's room for no extra cost. Patients can choose from 14 different menus depending on their condition. Except for in the Intensive Care Unit, every room has a view of the gardens or something pleasant

while its very suburban, the neighborhood of Oak Park in Chesterfield off Huguenot is one that I like. The attention to detail is greater than almost any other suburban development I've seen in the area for years. The quality of the products and craftsmanship is much better than what you would expect in the burbs. The homes actually have character.

Oak Park

"Developer John Dempsey of SouthCoast Construction created a "walking neighborhood" at Oak Park, and built his home there. With distinctive architecture, the homes face tree-lined streets and have a central park."

Update on the large former ViaSystems tract of land on Laburnum in the East end..... seems like developers are becoming interested in it. One of them is the same developer that built Short Pump Town Center.... Can we say "East End's first Lifestyle Center?"

And a new Ukrop's may quite possibly go into the mix of the new Wilton Farm project in Varina...

Yes, It is across from the Ukrops shopping center, first left off of I-64 when heading south. it is a HUGE piece of land, would be well suited for an eastern JSRCC campus (if it weren't so close to the DT one, and oh yeah that sparsely populated thing is a problem, though the area is growing by leaps and bounds ) On a somewhat related note... Pizzeria Uno is opining at the intersection of Airport road and I-64 BTW...

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like a great award for Chesterfield....it is the #1 best community for young people in America, according to the Alliance for Youth:

Chesterfield wins "youth community" award

Richmond.com

Monday, September 26, 2005

The Alliance for Youth today announced that Chesterfield County is the winner of a first-ever national competition to identify the 100 Best Communities for Young People. The winning communities

A $5.6million investment in a former Capital One building at River's Bend Business Park in Chesterfield has been announced.

According to reporter John Reid Blackwell in today's RTD, the Pearson Government Solutions call center is now up and running with 500 workers so far. Employment will expand to 1200 during busiest times.

It is called "one of the largest customer outreach programs of the Federal Government".

• 2 weeks later...

Fortune 500 company, CAR MAX, is moving its 600 employees from Innsbrook Office Park near Short Pump into its spanking new 250,000 square foot building in West Creek a few miles west in Goochland. The 5-story building is unique in that it is set in the midst of a forest where trees exceed the height of the building. It was designed with the environment in mind.

There is space to build two more buildings on the multi-acreage property just west of Rt. 288 near Tuckahoe Pkwy which could accommodate triple the number of present workers.

This info is via Greg Gilligan's story in today's RTD Business section.

Edited by burt

Lucy Corr to build a retirement village: Town-center style community slated to be complete in 2008

"Lucy Corr Village is expanding beyond assisted and nursing care.

The "hidden gem," as some people call it, is building a retirement community for independent seniors.

Springdale at Lucy Corr Village is based on a town-center design, with small-town streets, walking paths, porches, cafes and common areas.

The retirement community will be built on about 23 acres next to its existing premises in Chesterfield County.

Although construction has yet to begin on the $35 million project, 22 people have signed up to make reservations next spring. Ground has been cleared for the model unit. The first residents are expected to move in in 2008.

The project will have 122 units -- 52 apartments, 56 duplexes and 14 cottages........"

A 108 acre plot at n/e junction of US 60 and Rt. 288 has been rezoned for a 40 house development. This is considered part of The Watkins Center site. The Watkins family has 452 acres and the pooled acreage of others brings the total to 820 acres in the n/w quardrant of the intersection. The land is to be developed as a mixture of retail, commercial and office use totaling almost 4 million square feet and an investment of $950 million. It is looked on as competitive with Henrico's massive Innsbrook tract. This info from today's RTD Business page.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

A huge hunk of land, now a quaint farm amid the bustling traffic-choked far west end, may be rezoned by Henrico for a kind of urban redevelopment of residential, retail and business. It's called the Liesfeld tract at the southwest junction of I-64 and West Broad Street. Read all about it on the Business page of today's RTD.

Edited by burt

It must be a light news day at the RTD. They've given much prominence on-line to a high school production of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM. I can think of several professional endeavors that would die for such publicity. :)

Though the aforementioned school is suburban, this item probably should have gone under Richmond-Off Topic.

Edited by burt

I always was amazed at the stark contrast between cows grazing in that field and the bustling suburbia on steroids across the street...

Coupe, isn't the cow-grazing field to which you refer further out, west of Short Pump Town Center and across Broad? Seems to me I remember two incongruous farms out that way! But I believe the far west one is undergoing development into a Medical facility. Am I wrong?