Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

A developer’s proposal for a former family farm in Hanover County would encourage retirees and other residents to swap their golf clubs for gardening tools.

Roger Glover of Cornerstone Homes is proposing a 300- to 400-home development that would blend suburban living with organic farming, as opposed to a golf course or other rec-centered amenity. The community, called Chickahominy Falls, would be developed on about 150 acres along Holly Hill Road just south of Cedar Lane.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/07/28/hanover-homestead-floated-for-massive-rural-development/

• 2 months later...

Have been travelling the 288/I-64/Broad Street area for quite some time for work related travel -  the changes that are taking place have changed the views from a rural perspective to a more urban look - at least in how we connect with the outlaying areas surrounding the city. When travelling back into the city from the west on I-64, going east on I-64, the change "feels" as if Richmond has spread out further to the west, views into Broad Street and so much new development. The wider roads, bridges, overpasses, construction cranes, new housing, new apartments, new retail, etc. have created a huge new footprint and this seems to be just the tip of the iceberg. I stopped and took a few cell pictures of some the new developments and a map of the area.

Location_Westcreek.jpg

1007151402b.jpg

1007151412.jpg

1007151404a.jpg

1007151405.jpg

1007151410.jpg

I travel this way to work as well. I am really liking the looks of this area now too. The construction on I-64 hasn't been bad for me at all not many road closures at all when I head to work in the morning. I did have one incident where I couldn't get on 295 from 64 at 5:45 in the morning because of paving and they had the ramp closed to get on 295. But overall I am really liking the changes. I travel through west creek every now and then and may have to go out that  way after work one day and snap some photos. I am very excited for wegmans to open in Richmond. I bought a case of 35 bottles of water for 1.99 one day at wegmans in fredericksburg. I grabbed two cases of it at that price. I think Richmond is really really gonna love having Richmond in the area I already am excited and can't wait for the day they arrive and are open for business.

I travel this way to work as well. I am really liking the looks of this area now too. The construction on I-64 hasn't been bad for me at all not many road closures at all when I head to work in the morning. I did have one incident where I couldn't get on 295 from 64 at 5:45 in the morning because of paving and they had the ramp closed to get on 295. But overall I am really liking the changes. I travel through west creek every now and then and may have to go out that  way after work one day and snap some photos. I am very excited for wegmans to open in Richmond. I bought a case of 35 bottles of water for 1.99 one day at wegmans in fredericksburg. I grabbed two cases of it at that price. I think Richmond is really really gonna love having Richmond in the area I already am excited and can't wait for the day they arrive and are open for business.

I live on the south side and we are also excited about a new wegmans. Huge growth though on west broad and from the way short pump is being developed, it could surround 288 by the end of next year. Also has their been any new news from the southside of the river?

I haven't heard anything more on the wegmans on Midlothian other than I know that it should open up in spring of 2016 because I had a friend apply for a job with them. I live over off of Patterson Avenue by the Tuckahoe YMCA and Maybeury Elementary and I heard where the Walmart is on Parham in the Parham Plaza shopping center that a Petco is opening up inplace of where the Hollywood Video Store used to be and I also heard that there is one space left in that shopping center once they demolish the hollywood video and the other older part of it which housed a hechts/macy's furniture store. There will be two new spaces with petco taking one and the other not leased yet. Also the Toys'R'Us on Quioccasin Road is getting turned into a furniture from Northern VA called Trivett's Furniture Store. They have been doing a lot of work on it recently. Also my Former High School Douglas Freeman is doing some art murals at Regency Square Mall near the JC Penny's. I hear Ladiff and some other popup shops are going to be in the mall for the holidays. I really would like for them to tear down regency and do a mixed use development like West Broad Village with Office/Retail/Condo's/Apartments/Townhomes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The grocery war scrambles on.

Publix is in. 

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/02/02/breaking-news-publix-to-build-first-local-store-on-former-ukrops-site/

Going to be built as part of new shopping center left unbuilt at the height of the recession as Ukrop's pulled back. Satellite imagery on Google Maps even indicates a little bit of the parking lot had already taken form, but was left incomplete. Opening is expected for 2018.

19 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

The grocery war scrambles on.

Publix is in. 

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/02/02/breaking-news-publix-to-build-first-local-store-on-former-ukrops-site/

Going to be built as part of new shopping center left unbuilt at the height of the recession as Ukrop's pulled back. Satellite imagery on Google Maps even indicates a little bit of the parking lot had already taken form, but was left incomplete. Opening is expected for 2018.

With this and Wegmans entering the Richmond Market the Grocery war is getting big. I drive past the Wegmans all the time on 64 while on my way to work. The Cabela's is done on the outside has the sign and everything on it. The Wegmans still has quite a bit of work left to be done on the outside. Especially since I can see inside the store from the back side of it from Interstate 64. I am very excited to hear Publix is coming to RVA. I never would of guessed them coming this far north since they are all in Florida  Georgia and Tennesee I think has a few. Not sure about the carolina's though. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright!  Who's going to take the first guess as to who/what is going in at Meadowville Technilogy Park in Chesterfield?  There appears to be some media build-up regarding the development (first, Richmond Biz Sense and now the RTD). So, what sat ye?

http://m.richmond.com/news/local/chesterfield/article_cf0b570f-07c4-5e26-bc3c-ce14c8d2e192.html?mode=jqm

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Alright!  Who's going to take the first guess as to who/what is going in at Meadowville Technilogy Park in Chesterfield?  There appears to be some media build-up regarding the development (first, Richmond Biz Sense and now the RTD). So, what sat ye?

http://m.richmond.com/news/local/chesterfield/article_cf0b570f-07c4-5e26-bc3c-ce14c8d2e192.html?mode=jqm

I'm hoping it will be a company that is also looking to move their headquarters here. Will probably end up being something similar to the Amazon distribution plant that it will be next to.

• Like 1

I saw on reddit tonight that this will be a Niagara water bottling facility.  He says he knows because he has the plans on his desk.  If he's right, thoughts?

It looks like Niagara just announced a new bottling facility just outside San Antonio, TX last year and it appears that they continue to look at expanding. Here's what to expect if they come. From Choate Construction (who is also supposed to build The Locks at 321):

http://www.choateco.com/portfolio-items/niagara-bottling/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found this video on the Thalhimer website on the redevelopment of regency. Also found this PDF of regency that had more renderings and it shows a couple pending leases for it already. It shows possibly a TJ Maxx if you look at the site map of the mall and then some sports store called Hibbett Sports. I am excited to see this unfold as I live within a mile from this mall off of patterson near Maybeury elementary in Henrico's west end. Not too mention Mark Slusher who is helping with this project i played high school baseball with his son and know them very well.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/RegencySquare.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqx4PxxY0tU

• 2 weeks later...

So it was either put this in the Retail thread or this one, I'll save that thread for when some exciting in city limits retail development comes along.

The Outlets at Richmond is being submitted for final approval today to Hanover County. Looks like it's finally ready to move ahead.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_bb5d2867-4fe3-5d8c-8ce5-2e1db95779b8.html

• Like 1

I actually work right next to where the outlet mall will be. I work for Owens and minor up In Ashland on lakeridge parkway. Quite a bit of development spurring up that way. There is a new four story Fairfield inn going up behind the bojangles on lakeridge parkway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Seems like a west coast thing.  If this does well - could see these in several other locations.  

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/08/22/breaking-news-six-story-car-vending-machine-proposed-in-short-pump/

CarvanaTower21-1024x574.jpg

This thing looks so weird but cool at the same time. I can't tell if I like it or if it looks hideous. Will be interesting to see when it's built.

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...