FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

Could it be Walnut Hill, which has info and links earlier in that same thread? I know there are a few very small scale projects in Wesley Heights that haven't really been on the radar much.

I think Walnut Hill is at the corner of Walnut and Wesley Heights Way and West 4th street. I think this project is moving forward because I saw some signs out there for the different buildings that are going up there.

The upscale mix retail/commercial looks to be on the opposite side of Walnut at the corner of Walnut and West Morehead. Yes both projects are small but seem very interesting. If the west morehead corridor gets re-developed all the way from the stadium to wesley heights, it should make for a fun thriving area. Right now, there are no grocery stores, restaurants or anything to speak of at this time.

• 1 month later...

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-088.htm

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../01/story1.html

It is great to see that the Blumenthals and Merrifield are ready to move forward again on their Radiator Specialty site.

This project is 34 acres near West Morehead and Wilkinson with an old attractive mill building and one of the most amazing skyline views in the city.

Hopefully this will help support the west transit line funding, not to mention adding redevelopment to the west side.

Wow! I was wondering if this project was ever going to go anywhere.

Office space 3 times larger than originally proposed?! The original plans called for about a 10-15 story office tower if I remember it correctly. We could be seeing a campus of about 3 midrise tower...or....maybe a 20+ tower on the site?

Mercy.

Well, I just looked at the site plan. No such luck.

Looks like a series of 3 - 5 story buildings.

But they are BIG.

Well....MUDD only allows up to 120', and this rezoning doesn't ask for a deviation from that.....my guess is that there will be about 6 8-story buildings built over time, as well as several 4-5 story buidings....I'm just hoping that everything has ground floor retail.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a drive through Lela Court today because I had not been since they first began and all I can say is :sick: I am a big proponent of dense urban and pedestrian friendly development but Lela is so slapped together and overbuilt. I realize that Beazer is a midrange developer but some finishing touches would have been nice. Its so bland and monotonous. The houses and townshomes have no individuality at all. Whats the point of heralding " neo traditional urbanism" in a great historic neighborhood like Wesley Heights when your final product is a regurgitation of suburban sprawl masked by a thinly veiled urban facade. It detracts from the original neighborhood behind it instead of complimenting the area and is a real eyesore in my opinion.

I took a drive through Lela Court today because I had not been since they first began and all I can say is :sick: I am a big proponent of dense urban and pedestrian friendly development but Lela is so slapped together and overbuilt. I realize that Beazer is a midrange developer but some finishing touches would have been nice. Its so bland and monotonous. The houses and townshomes have no individuality at all. Whats the point of heralding " neo traditional urbanism" in a great historic neighborhood like Wesley Heights when your final product is a regurgitation of suburban sprawl masked by a thinly veiled urban facade. It detracts from the original neighborhood behind it instead of complimenting the area and is a real eyesore in my opinion.

And Beazer is scooping up as much center city land as possible...

I would have to agree..the housing is really not that great. What's the plans for the rest of West Morehead or other developments around Wesley Heights ? I think walnut Hill condos might help because the area is a little rough but it will also probably take away from the character of the neighborhood. http://www.walnuthillcondos.com/

The Neighboring Concepts project up Thrift Rd a bit from Lela Court seems to be much better as far as supporting the nearby greenway, and supporting more positive urban designs. You can see their siteplan for their rezoning here:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-054.htm

If you don't like Beazers designs, quality, or overall product, contact Neighboring Concepts. They are the catalyst for the project across from Lela Courts, they assembled the land, and will dole it out to various developers in parts. Beazer IS one of the main developers that is being considered to build the non-verticle residental part....

I agree that Lela looks like a condensed suburban neighborhood and i don't think the masonite and other cheap materials will age very well. At least they are somewhat affordable so more folks can afford close-in living.

While Lela isn't the greatest infill in the world, I'm not ready to criticize it yet. For one, it's not completely built out yet, so I think that will help. Also, the landscaping is still young...remember Myers Park's giant oaks were 6' saplings 80 years ago. As to the character, remember that Dilworth was pretty much a "Sears Catalog" kit house community when it was built. It took years of additions, personalized landscaping, painting, bricking, shingling, stain-glassing, etc. for it to emerge as a more unique community.....it just takes time.

As a side note, these changes that transform a neighborhood are the primary reason that I am anti-HOA that wants to preserve a neighborhood to always resemble the day it was built.

I can't realistically afford any of the new condo projects in Uptown. Beazer would be the closest possibility for me currently and Lela is just plain ugly and tacky. There are ways to build attractive housing for middle and lower income residents and Beazer cut corners. I don't see how it can mature into something attractive. The houses are closer together than the starter home developments in UC. You really can shake hands with the guy in the kitchen next door :P I know the point of urban development is increased density and scale but usually there are graceful additions to soften the small foot print. Small fences or hedges or something. Lela must fall just outside of the Wesley Heights Historic District because I don't see how the ARB for that area would approve this project. I also hope that Lela is not a harbinger for the type of development for the rest of that part of town because it would be such a waste and a missed opportunity :(

That looks like a cool project. I'm glad to see development happening around Wesley Heights.

Looks "cool"? I think that could be an understatement! :whistling: A big ol' bridge between the buildings? Looks nice and industrial like the surrounds in that part of the Morehead corridor...I LOVE it. Hopefully the units will be great as well, but that site is strange, narrow, but well placed for views and I suspect the view of this project FROM downtown will be nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. The website if pretty lacking, there aren't really any good illustrations of the entire project but I think the project will be really nice. The same is true with the www.walnuthillcondos.com website.

Both projects are good for the westside. It amazes me all of the land around the stadium heading west on west morehead and why there isn't more of a corridor of development. Some day I guess !!

Have you guys also noticed that the streetscape project along West Morehead is in full force right now? They are really improving things with new planting strips, curbs, etc.

Have you guys also noticed that the streetscape project along West Morehead is in full force right now? They are really improving things with new planting strips, curbs, etc.

Mr Negative is about to rear his ugly head...I'm glad they are doing streetscape improvements, but the reasoning behind why they would remove granite curbs and replace them with concrete is beyond me.

That said, those perfectly cut slabs of granite make a great set of stairs to the new back door on my house. Thanks, CDOT!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know anything about future redevelopment of the WestWood Apartments site? It is located off Berryhill Road just south of Freedom Drive. It is near the Radiator Specialty site, but I've asked the developer of that site and they are not familiar with what is happening here. The following is a quote from the Camp Greene Neighborhood newsletter, they are adjacent to this parcel and don't seem to know what exactly is happening either.

"I have just been informed of some news in our neighborhood. West Wood Apartments ( located off Berryhill Rd. near West Morehead St. ) renters are receiving eviction notices today. They will need to be out of there apartments by September 1st. From what information I have received they will start to tear down all the rental units in the fall of this year. I have not seen any plans for the site yet but speculation is that it will be like Lela Court Development across Freedom Dr. by the Stewart Creek. Lela Court is approx 14 acres, Blumenthale rezoning is 34 acres and West Wood property is 29 acres. We hope all the displaced tenants at West Wood Apt. find affordable housing."

Anybody that sees city permits or public record for this stuff have some insight?

• 2 weeks later...