VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Time for a VCU endowment update:

Here is the most recent report from the National Association of College and University Business Officers and Commonfund Institute, http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/EndowmentFiles/2015_NCSE_Endowment_Market_Values.pdf

It has VCU at number 56 (of all institutions/university systems US + Canada) at $1.638 Billion 
It has MCV foundation at number 206 at $399 Million

If they were considered together, VCU would have >$2 Billion endowment and would rank number 44 overall. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blackbird Fly said:

Time for a VCU endowment update:

Here is the most recent report from the National Association of College and University Business Officers and Commonfund Institute, http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/EndowmentFiles/2015_NCSE_Endowment_Market_Values.pdf

It has VCU at number 56 (of all institutions/university systems US + Canada) at $1.638 Billion 
It has MCV foundation at number 206 at $399 Million

If they were considered together, VCU would have >$2 Billion endowment and would rank number 44 overall. 

I'm genuinely surprised that both campuses are considered separate schools. Whatever the case, you really get the feeling that VCU is trying to break that mold of a mid-major school and is poised to be part of a Big-Three alongside VT and UVA in this state. The amount of growth in students, money, and prestige over the last few years has been incredible. If only my school could get a football team within the next few years.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, OBXastronaut said:

I'm genuinely surprised that both campuses are considered separate schools. Whatever the case, you really get the feeling that VCU is trying to break that mold of a mid-major school and is poised to be part of a Big-Three alongside VT and UVA in this state. The amount of growth in students, money, and prestige over the last few years has been incredible. If only my school could get a football team within the next few years.

I was just going to say that VCU needs a football team and stadium.  No small feat and I'm not even sure that school leadership even wants it.  I sure would love to see it though!

JMU may be ahead of VCU - they've got a football team and very nice stadium...just not in a bigger conference. 

Edited by eandslee

I think a football team would eventually be very good for VCU, just not right now.  

I wonder what the next big project is going to be for VCU.  On their website, they only have three projects listed, two of which are very close to completion.

Looking at their 2020 master plan, they still have quite a bit to go if they're going to get it accomplished.  

3 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I think a football team would eventually be very good for VCU, just not right now.  

I wonder what the next big project is going to be for VCU.  On their website, they only have three projects listed, two of which are very close to completion.

Looking at their 2020 master plan, they still have quite a bit to go if they're going to get it accomplished.  

When going to the VCU basketball game Saturday, it looked as though the west grace student housing was completed, however they might have some work to do on the interrior. I hope VCU eventually gets a football team just not until basketball starts consistently vetoing star recruits and making see people our ament runs.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Well this should be fun being right next to Oregon Hill  - almost doubling in size and only one way to go - up.  

These buildings were cheap looking - glad to see those go and hopefully something architecturally more appropriate for this prominent location.

(a couple of second thoughts after my first immediate reaction - there are a lot of courtyards between the buildings so maybe it doesn't have to go much higher and it's on the north side of Cary so it may not be as much of a hot button.)

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_02b6ccbb-7aa2-5a6a-b67b-9fc39f7aafcd.html

Where exactly is this?  1400 beds versus 830 sounds good, but will it really go tall? Would love to see a rendering and its proposed location on a map.  We will need to add this to our development map as well. 

2 hours ago, hikendesign said:

Oh, it's right next to Monroe Park.  I was thinking that it was closer to the river.  Thanks for posting!

Ha, I came here to post the article but somebody beat me to it. I can't imagine it will be much taller unless they put retail on the bottom. Like HikenDesign said its a pretty big lot where a good chunk of space is being used for courtyards. So I figure at most this will be 5 stories, not that that's a bad thing, I'm happy something newer and bigger will replace those barracks looking boxes. The article does say that it will have different price points per unit, which to me means these will be more like apartments(different sizes, rooms, etc.) and less like a dormitory; which may mean that overall the new structure could be much larger than we initially imagine. Hopefully we get a rendering soon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TBurban said:

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't discount the height too much. VCU's 2014 Housing Master Plan (see pgs. 56-7) calls for a 14 and 8 story replacement for GRC I & II. I think (or at least I hope) we'll see something similar in scale once renderings are released. 

That definitely makes me more optimistic about the height, hope they stick to this and we get a 14 storying building. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, eandslee said:

14 stories was hoped for, looks like we'll get about 12.  That's respectable, but why is it always less than we would like to see?  Just grateful for 12. I'll take it. Hopefully, it is tastefully done too. 

That is much better than I expected. And the completion date of 2018 is a very nice timeline. As previously mentioned, it would have been nice to have had a 14 story high rise, but 12 stories is still a good height. They probably could have made it much larger by decreasing the number of beds per floor. Hopefully they pull this off and don't give the city a trashy looking tower.

• Like 1

What a missed opportunity to re-incorporate the historic facade of the old bath house into the design of the building; looks very stocky as of yet. I'm having trouble visualizing 12 stories, too. While I am all for the increased density, it really would've been great if they had broken up the block a little more with setbacks and varying roof heights. I'm curious to see the site plan. Definitely agree with you @hikendesign, anything is better than what's there now.

• Like 1