Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

Not much of a mall person here, but was in Haywood last night and the construction on the remodel is in full swing. They had renderings of the remodel plan posted in spots. Looks great....lots of natural stone and wood......mountain lodge feel with a slick urban twist. The space where Pottery Barn is going has been boarded off and looks like work is in progress.

Center Court is starting to take shape. They are filling in the fountains with cement to level out the floor.

Foodworks is supposed to undergo some needed work. Does anyone know anything about that?

Are there any new stores planned for Haywood Mall this summer? I have noticed a couple vacant spaces.

When they made the announcement way back about the renovation, they mentioned an addition to the Mall for a new Restaurant, but I have heard nothing about that since.

Also, GSA Business mentions that something is in the works for the Greenville Mall and that it is Starting turn around. I wonder if maybe we should expect some kind of announcement soon. It would be great if they some how worked something out with Bass Pro Shops. Who, by the way, I have herd had started looking at sites on Lake Hartwell instead.

When they made the announcement way back about the renovation, they mentioned an addition to the Mall for a new Restaurant, but I have heard nothing about that since.

Also, GSA Business mentions that something is in the works for the Greenville Mall and that it is Starting turn around.  I wonder if maybe we should expect some kind of announcement soon.  It would be great if they some how worked something out with Bass Pro Shops.  Who, by the way, I have herd had started looking at sites on Lake Hartwell instead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea - I remember that as well. The restaurant at the Haywood Mall was supposed to be something very unusual and exciting for Greenville.

As for the Greenville Mall, I noticed a snippet in the Greenville Journal today which indicated the same. I'm wondering what exactly the "resurgence" at the Greenville Mall is.

As for the Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World, I think that Greenville would be an excellent location for one. Lake Hartwell is just to the Outdoor World East of Atlanta :)

Is there a link available to the Greenville Journal article?  Greenville Mall was my favorite mall before it died and I'd like to see it back in business, although I figured its only hope was a total demolition and redevelopment.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Greenville Journal doesn't put their articles online, but their address is:

http://www.greenvillejournal.com/

I'll quote the entire article here though - it's very short:

"Greenville Mall has been hurt by the loss of several anchor stores in the past few years, but there is a buzz things may soon be changing. Bill Monroe, master planner of the Verdae project, told a crowd of close to 500 Greenville movers and shakers that 'Greenville Mall is in a resurgence.' Can't imagine a more resounding shot in the arm..."

Source: The Greenville Journal - May 13-19, 2005, p. 39

Center Court is starting to take shape.  They are filling in the fountains with cement to level out the floor.

Foodworks is supposed to undergo some needed work.  Does anyone know anything about that?

Are there any new stores planned for Haywood Mall this summer?  I have noticed a couple vacant spaces.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the vacant spaces are where they are juggling stores around. Pottery Barn is definite....it's on the lower level past J.Crew on the left. The large space.

Simply being selfish and maybe not practical; since Belk's has now bought Proffit's, Bass Pro Shops should give another look at Westgate Mall. The Profitts has awesome interstate frontage on I-26 and is close to I-85. Being off of hwy. 29 it would be an easy drive from Greer/Greenville, although I realize that some Greenvillians consider it a sin to drive to Spartanburg.

I doubt they think it's a sin, but rather unnecessary. Greenville has got everything and much more than Spartanburg for most people. For the most part, Spartanburg is at least a decade behind Greenville in overall development. That being said, I enjoy my trips over there and find the new development to be very attractive. :)

That would be a good location for a BPS, but it will be up againszt the likes of Greenville Mall among others.

Its a similar relationship between any large city and smaller nearby cities. Unless there is something particularly unique (ie- the Beacon, Outlet Mall) the residents of the larger city won't go there.

That said, Spartanburg does pretty well for itself. I think Greenville is just far enough away that most people stay in Spartanburg to do everything, and Greenville doesn't have that much stuff that Spartanburg doesn't, except for restaurants. Thats the only reason I go to Greenville. Sometimes to go to Haywood Mall- I dig the SC shop that they have. I'd really like to see one of these in downtown Spartanburg.

This is why it is crucial for our downtown to not be a carbon copy of Greenville's. A city's greatest unique asset is its historic core. If we ever want Greenvillians to come to Spartanburg, we have to create something unique. I believe this is happening slowly, but surely. I like seeing things like Wild Wing opening up, but what truely excites me is Hub City Coffee. The local establishments make it great. (BTW if you ever need lunch downtown, Sandella's is a great sandwich shop).

I do think that some of the more sucessful elements of Greenville's DT should be emulated though. I'd like to see development on the scale of RiverPlace in Spartanburg ;) Heck, even Rock Hill is planning their massive mill thing. Surely we can come of with something?

As much as I would LOVE Bass Pro Shops ot locate at Westgate, we must realize that Greenville has about twice the population that Spartanburg does, and could more easily support it. At best it would be located in the Spartanburg Couny half of Greer.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Proffit's. I think it does ok, and most people don't have a clue its owned by the same people.

Belk isn't planning to keep the Proffitt's name though. The merger isn't supposed to be completed until Fall 2005. All Proffitt's stores are becoming Belk. That will leave the building at Westgate vacant. I don't think the Belk store will divide into 2 locations like Anderson Mall with a women's store in one building and a men's and home store in the other. If you go upstairs in the Westage Belk you will see that they have already boarded up half the upstairs with a facade of clothing racks. You will notice that the upstairs seems a lot smaller than the downstairs. The departments in that store were not making sales goals so they consolidated many of them. The current Proffitt's store will almost definately be left vacant unless something else buys the building. The only anchor left that I can think of for that market is Macy's.

Back to the Haywood subject, I heard from a associate that works at Eddie Bauer that Eddie Bauer is leaving Greenville Mall to come to Haywood where the old Lane Bryant spot is (currently a temporary location for Express Men) I also heard that Brooks Brothers and Crate and Barrel want to come to Greenville but no vacancies available at Haywood now

Belk isn't planning to keep the Proffitt's name though.  The merger isn't supposed to be completed until Fall 2005.  All Proffitt's stores are becoming Belk.  That will leave the building at Westgate vacant.  I don't think the Belk store will divide into 2 locations like Anderson Mall with a women's store in one building and a men's and home store in the other.  If you go upstairs in the Westage Belk you will see that they have already boarded up half the upstairs with a facade of clothing racks.  You will notice that the upstairs seems a lot smaller than the downstairs.  The departments in that store were not making sales goals so they consolidated many of them.  The current Proffitt's store will almost definately be left vacant unless something else buys the building.  The only anchor left that I can think of for that market is Macy's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did not realize that. I am not concerned though. That is an important anchor spot, sombody will fill it.

• 1 month later...

I was last at Haywood Mall Monday to see how the renovations are coming along. Hallmark Gold Crown just opened up in the former Kay Bee Toys in Sears' wing's lower level. Foot Locker (Dillard's wing lower level) seems to have closed. I do not know if they're remodeling or just closed completely.

In another thread, I read Foodworks will supposedly undergo an expansion/renovation. Does that mean Sam Goody's is about to relocate in the mall?

• 4 weeks later...

A few updates from Haywood Mall

*EB Games (Dillard's wing, lower level) closed up over three weeks ago.

*Express Men (former Lane Bryant, JC Penney wing, upper level) is temporarily closed for renovations. It will reopen in October as Express selling both men and women's clothing.

*LensCrafters relocated across the upper level from the Dillard's wing over to the JC Penney wing in a space previously occupied by Waldenbooks.

*Casual Corner (JC Penney upper level) is closing after twenty years at Haywood Mall.

*As you walk into the Dillard's wing on the upper level, try to look above. You will see the new colors of Haywood Mall - dark bown/black beams and painted light brown wood. The molding are being painted a lightish tan.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates from Haywood Mall

*EB Games (Dillard's wing, lower level) closed up over three weeks ago.

*Express Men (former Lane Bryant, JC Penney wing, upper level) is temporarily closed for renovations.  It will reopen in October as Express selling both men and women's clothing.

*LensCrafters relocated across the upper level from the Dillard's wing over to the JC Penney wing in a space previously occupied by Waldenbooks.

*Casual Corner (JC Penney upper level) is closing after twenty years at Haywood Mall.

*As you walk into the Dillard's wing on the upper level, try to look above.  You will see the new colors of Haywood Mall - dark bown/black beams and painted light brown wood.  The molding are being painted a lightish tan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was through Haywood last night and looks like the remodel will be pretty nice. Like BoDragon states above, all the white metal beams are being painted chocolate.....the whole color scheme is reminding me of the "high country, mountain region" part of Mall of Georgia. Chocolates and tans, wood, stone, leather and suede furniture. Kind of "Mission" or "Stickley". Fits the geographic area. So nice to see those bad 80's teal and peach diamond shapes go away! :D

• 1 month later...