Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

Was in the Boardwalk & Park Place game store the other night and found out they'll be moving out of the mall soon. Surprised to hear they've been there for 27 years!

They'll be relocating somewhere near the mall, but I'll be sad to see them go. It's a really great little store, with incredibly helpful employees.

Was in the Boardwalk & Park Place game store the other night and found out they'll be moving out of the mall soon. Surprised to hear they've been there for 27 years!

They'll be relocating somewhere near the mall, but I'll be sad to see them go. It's a really great little store, with incredibly helpful employees.

That's disappointing to see as it was a great store but i'm not suprised mainly due to the fact the corridor they were located on lacked substantial foot traffic. I am suprised though they didn't try to move somewhere else in the mall with higher foot traffic. It's good to hear they'll at least remain in business even if in a new location.

Edited by citylife

Great addition as Haywood continues to evolve. :thumbsup: Lovesac is mainly in upper end malls....Lenox, Mayfair, Garden State Plaza, King of Prussia, Dallas Galleria, Houston Galleria, Scottsdale Fashion Square.....nice company for Haywood to be keeping. :thumbsup:

LOL......seriously, Haywood is a nice mall but, keeping company with Lenox, Scottsdale, King of Prussia etc???? Southpark is by far the nicest mall in the Carolinas followed by the ones in Raleigh and Northlake, even those are not keeping company with Lenox.

One thing is definite, Simon has many ways to fill a mall.

LOL......seriously, Haywood is a nice mall but, keeping company with Lenox, Scottsdale, King of Prussia etc???? Southpark is by far the nicest mall in the Carolinas followed by the ones in Raleigh and Northlake, even those are not keeping company with Lenox.

I believe he was saying LoveSac was located in mostly higher-end malls and that Haywood is keeping company with these malls when it comes to ONLY that store which is all true. :thumbsup: I don't believe he was saying those weren't really nice malls or worse than Haywood also. I'm sure we can all agree those malls you listed are much more higher-end than Haywood.

Edited by citylife

Speaking of elegance, when is Haywood's unelegant exterior EVER going to be remodeled? Standing in front of the Macy's, looking over at the Sears, all one sees is an eyesore from 1980.

I'd put Haywood at about the level of Northlake in Charlotte, upscale-wise.

I was thinking Northlake as well, comparing this mall with Lenox, Southpark or some of the others mentioned on any level is funny. And you are right, Haywood is in serious need of a exterior makeover. In fact, the entire corridor could use a lot of updating. Simon typically does a better job than others at filling their malls...sometimes with stretch tenants, and keeping the facilities fresh, maybe they have something in the works.

Once again, nobody has compared Haywood to Lenox or Southpark. It would be foolish to do so. Gsupstate was only referring to that one store I believe. I agree it's very much like Northlake in terms of size, tenants, etc.

Regarding an exterior renovation, I believe the department stores own their buildings so it's up to them when they want to renovate the outside portion of their stores. I doubt you'll see one for a good while sadly. A major interior renovation occured in 2005 so that's fine except for the furniture that needs to replaced.

Edited by citylife

Lovesac is in the malls I listed and is opening in Haywood. Good to see, period. Read into it what you want.

Lovesac is in the malls I listed and is opening in Haywood. Good to see, period. Read into it what you want.

What I was reading into what you said is, in fact, exactly what you said, "....Lenox, Mayfair, Garden State Plaza, King of Prussia, Dallas Galleria, Houston Galleria, Scottsdale Fashion Square.....nice company for Haywood to be keeping". Not much clearer than that.

I looked at Lovesac's store locations and Haywood will also be keeping the company of Arizona Mills, Jordan Creek Mall, Westroads Mall and Layton Hills Mall. None of the malls I saw are "ghetto" malls; to the contrary, they generally seem like upper middle-market ones. I note that the chain seems to lack a consistent format and image; its store photos show a hodgepodge of types.

ETA: Layton Hills Mall is missing an anchor, for the time being.

ETA 2: Lovesac must be a tenant with a relatively strong balance sheet and credit to get into malls such as Garden State Plaza, but in the current economy, it's easier than before to get into it- and most any other- mall.

Edited by mallguy

What I was reading into what you said is, in fact, exactly what you said, "....Lenox, Mayfair, Garden State Plaza, King of Prussia, Dallas Galleria, Houston Galleria, Scottsdale Fashion Square.....nice company for Haywood to be keeping". Not much clearer than that.

Good that you understand then....Lovesac is in those malls and will be opening at Haywood.

Obviously, you shop at Haywood often and must be a fan, as you follow the Haywood thread. You certainly must be glad to see the continued range of new stores opening at Haywood....stores that can be found in many better malls nationwide. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I looked at Lovesac's store locations and Haywood will also be keeping the company of Arizona Mills, Jordan Creek Mall

Pssss.....it is Jordan Creek Town Center, not Jordan Creek Mall. Quite a nice shopping area for the money of West Des Moines. If you haven't been, you should check it out. :thumbsup:

Good that you understand then....Lovesac is in those malls and will be opening at Haywood.

Obviously, you shop at Haywood often and must be a fan, as you follow the Haywood thread. You certainly must be glad to see the continued range of new stores opening at Haywood....stores that can be found in many better malls nationwide. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If your original comment was that concise, I would agree with you. But, it wan't and it was funny. We'll leave it at that, no sense spending a lot of time out here boring people with silly arguments. :yawn:

And, I was not aware that you had to be a "fan" or a shopper of a particular mall to follow a thread. Maybe I was wrong but, I thought it was a general interest in development, especially of an area where I am from, that causes people to follow threads. And, although Haywood is nice and has a few tenants which it shares with other malls, Simon does wonders, I would not say that it "keeps company" with any of the higher end malls, especially when you look at demographic information (relatively small population trade area, moderate growth, on the lower side for income).

Using your logic, perhaps you are a fan of Columbia as you seem to be one of the largest contributors on Columbia's threads here on UP and other forums...city data etc..... :thumbsup:

And, I was not aware that you had to be a "fan" or a shopper of a particular mall to follow a thread.

Please see post #1 in this thread- "[n]ot much of a mall person". Thought that the contrast was interesting. I agree with your posts.

ETA: gsupstate, if you're going to want to do battle over "Jordan Creek Mall" (what many of the locals seem to call it) vs. "Jordan Creek Town Center", then you should also ALWAYS refer to "Haywood Mall" rather than just "Haywood". I have been to many malls in the Midwest and do not think that any of them, except some around Chicago, are fancier than Haywood, and I don't see that Greenville needs to look up to Des Moines.

Edited by mallguy

I'm sure gsupstate wouldn't dare compare a lowly and insignificant mall like Haywood Mall with such high-end retail centers like SouthPark Mall and Lenox Square. I even feel guilty typing Haywood in the same sentence with those superior malls! :rolleyes:

:rofl: Oh ya know, if I were really going to compare Haywood to another center, it would be to Bal Harbour Shops or The Shops at City Center Las Vegas. You know....I'm soooo out of touch. Just last week in DC, driving down Wisconsin, when I passed through the area with Mazza Gallerie and The Shops at Wisconsin Place on one side, Saks and Jimmy Choo on the other side, I thought to myself, WOW, this feels JUST LIKE the Haywood Mall area in Greenville. :rofl::rofl:

:rofl: Oh ya know, if I were really going to compare Haywood to another center, it would be to Bal Harbour Shops or The Shops at City Center Las Vegas. You know....I'm soooo out of touch. Just last week in DC, driving down Wisconsin, when I passed through the area with Mazza Gallerie and The Shops at Wisconsin Place on one side, Saks and Jimmy Choo on the other side, I thought to myself, WOW, this feels JUST LIKE the Haywood Mall area in Greenville. :rofl::rofl:

To not be much of a mall person, you sure do like to drop names. But, it is good that you see the humor in your earlier post, now you see why it was funny that Haywood is, in your words,.."keeping company" with elite malls. Besides, noone was questioning how "out of touch" you are with retail, you took it a little too far, its not like we are not talking about the failure at the ruins of Magnolia Park. Anyway, this has gone on long enough, I am sure you and "Greenville" have better things to do than argue over silly comments here on UP. Perhaps you can share other ideas on stores/trends/relevant demographic information related to Haywood.

• Like 1

Haywood Mall is horrible. :silly: It consists of J. Crew, Apple, Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, Abercrombie & Fitch, Coach, Aldo, Guess, Godiva, Bakers, Williams Sonoma, Pandora, Bare Escentuals, etc and has an occupancy rate of over 95%. It is also the largest and highest-end mall in the state. Talk about a huge fail. I think they should close the place down for good and demolish it. :rolleyes: Let's plant a forest in its place.

Edited by citylife

especially when you look at demographic information (relatively small population trade area, moderate growth, on the lower side for income).

Agreed, although I think that Haywood compares favorably to malls in areas with demographics that are more favorable to luxury retailers, perhaps due to Greenville's location halfway between two larger metropolitan areas (thus keeping distribution and other costs lower than if Greenville were far away) and with Haywood being the only mall in town.

Also, for people who want Haywood to be a "luxury" mall: having demographics to appeal to luxury retailers often means being in densely-populated, expensive areas, with tons of traffic. Having some luxury retailers, to me, isn't worth having to go through what you have to deal with to get to Garden State Plaza, for example; it and the other malls in Paramus are good, but getting to them is a complete pain. And living near one of them means living in an overpriced house with high property taxes.

So if less upscale = less traffic and a lower cost of living, I'm happy with less upscale.

Haywood Mall disgusts me. I cannot roam its dank and putrid halls without feeling the need to wash its filth from my body. The rabble congregate and scurry about like rats...searching for the nearest scrap of free food from the shady vendors that line the corridors. To even speak this tenement's name in the same sentence as the more respectable establishments previously mentioned is pure blasphemy. I demand you strike these slanderous statements from the record, lest some poor fool think these institutions reside on equal ground! Poppycock!