Haywood Mall Retail

gs3

Ignore previous posts. Server screwed up again.

Yep...agreed about Crescent Place. Would love to see it get built. Silver Link has moved into the old picture place store next to Finish Line. Flip Flip Shops is going into Silver Link's old space. Construction wall is now up for that. There are three or four empty tenant spaces left in the mall with all of them being next to and near Sears. One of them should be getting filled by Fiore unless somebody else closes or moves.

Edited by citylife

Sears is a depressing store to visit. It's nothing but another K-Mart, but with more stuff.

Definitely. There's never anyone in there when I go, which is usually once a year and it's not even me that's shopping. I really have no idea how they stay open, especially at Haywood. I went there in 2009. On a Sunday afternoon. On tax free weekend. The mall and every store I saw was packed, and I only saw one other person on level 1 and three other people on level 2. Belk had to have at least 100 times more people. The problem is that they sell way too many products and their stores are too large. I know the store at the Asheville Mall is over 220,000 square feet, which I think is a bit shy of the Dillard's at Haywood.

For an expansion, I would love it if they closed the Sears and possibly relocated in Greenville or something, and built a new Nordstrom directly behind the Sears store, and change the Sears store into mall space. I know that one of Nordstrom's newest stores (in Delaware) is only 128,000 square feet, which is 16,000 square feet smaller than their usual store size, and I think it could fit behind Sears. A new parking deck somewhere or an expansion of the current one would definitely be required. Also, they could add a lifestyle portion between Macy's & Nordstrom where the current entrance is would be ideal as well. Try to lure Barnes & Noble from across the road and open a nice, 2 story 36,000 square foot one like at the Asheville Mall. Also, they could put a Nordstrom Rack inside the old Circuit City. They could also try to get a Cheesecake Factory, etc. with a new lifestyle portion. I don't think it's too ridiculous or too wishful-thinking, either. I mean the Upstate CSA is huge, and it would probably cut my SouthPark trips from 3-5 times a year to 1-2 times per year. I'm getting tired of SouthPark anyway, so a revamped Haywood Mall + more trips to Lenox Square/Buckhead would be ideal.

I would like it to be like a nicer and newer looking version of the Perimeter Mall in Atlanta.

Edited by ct36

Sears is a store that just no longer has a niche. Garden tools? Try Home Depot or Lowe's. Electronics? Best Buy. Clothes? Target (for that price point). All of those other stores have more selection--and nicer-looking stores.

Haywood does need a lifestyle center expansion with a Cheesecake Factory. I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. I wonder if the rise of Woodruff Road and the decline of Haywood Road around the mall has prospective tenants reluctant to commit?

Sears is a store that just no longer has a niche. Garden tools? Try Home Depot or Lowe's. Electronics? Best Buy. Clothes? Target (for that price point). All of those other stores have more selection--and nicer-looking stores.

Haywood does need a lifestyle center expansion with a Cheesecake Factory. I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. I wonder if the rise of Woodruff Road and the decline of Haywood Road around the mall has prospective tenants reluctant to commit?

I think that most things will start to open around Haywood because there is not much room anywhere on Woodruff anymore that's actually desirable, at least after Magnolia Park, which still isn't fully under construction yet. There's absolutely no space where the noteworthy stores are located, and that's between Greenridge/The Point and Magnolia Park. That's really not that much retail and I think Colonial Pinnacle Turkey Creek in Knoxville has just as much retail as that area.

If Sears ever goes under I would like to see a new Macys built in its place. More mall shop spaces could be built into the old Macys and a new high atrium food court and restaurants (like Cheesecake factory and Bravo) built in front of the old Macys with a lodge type entrance directly in front of the mall. The old food court could become a junior anchor like Crate and Barrel or more mall small shops which the mall needs.

Nordstrom would be a great replacement for Sears should they leave, but I don't know how realistic that is at this point. If we're not ready for Nordstrom yet, I think we're very close.

If not Nordstrom, I would like to see the Sears building torn down and see a lifestyle portion added in its place. That would be great for the Haywood area. :thumbsup:

Nordstrom would be a great replacement for Sears should they leave, but I don't know how realistic that is at this point. If we're not ready for Nordstrom yet, I think we're very close.

If not Nordstrom, I would like to see the Sears building torn down and see a lifestyle portion added in its place. That would be great for the Haywood area. :thumbsup:

I think that would be a great location for a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. The infrastructure is mostly in place and Haywood Mall is already a regional shopping magnet. It would be a nice addition closer to downtown, the convention center, and the airport. I would definitely be more excited about BPS in that location rather than any site along Woodruff Road.

<br>I think that would be a great location for a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World.&nbsp;&nbsp;The infrastructure is mostly in place and Haywood Mall is already a regional shopping magnet.&nbsp;&nbsp;It would be a nice addition closer to downtown, the convention center, and the airport.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would definitely be more excited about BPS in that location rather than any site along Woodruff Road.<br>
<br><br>Yuck. Nothing against BPS, but they usually open in large outlet-style malls like The Mills or dying malls, like The Savannah Mall or Myrtle Beach Mall. An anchor I would love to see come to Haywood and make a new debut in the south is Lord &amp; Taylor (but not in the Sears space). After they were purchased, it definitely seems to be very classy and has made improvements. Now, I think Lord &amp; Taylor truly is a mix of a Belk and a Nordstrom. I don't really like the idea of a completely new Macy's, because they aren't very nice anymore. The Haywood store is nice, but I just don't think it's worth it when Belk is generally nicer and generally has lower price points on the same merchandise. I must admit I absolutely love the nice Macy's stores like at Lenox and Mall at Millenia, but others just aren't that nice. <br><br><br>One thing I was pondering was what would happen at the Asheville Mall if Sears were to close. I think Macy's might want it, but the store is so dated they would have to remodel it completely, and it's so large they may as well just tear it down and start over. I'm not sure they would be willing to do that, with the current state of that end of the mall. <br>I think it would be nice if they just added on to Macy's at Haywood, and expand to at least 180,000 square feet ,which is around the size of the Belk store. If they were to add the lifestyle portion, expand Macy's and add a Nordstrom to the mall, that would attract many people away from Concord Mills, SouthPark, Anderson Mall, Westgate Mall, and the Asheville Mall. Ironically, three are Simon Malls so I'm not sure how they would feel about that. Taking away a lot away from a small mall, and some away from the most visited tourist attraction in NC and the most upscale and largest mall in NC. <br><br>I think Greenville is/will be ready for a Nordstrom. Since Sears at Haywood probably isn't going away this year yet, I think Nordstrom will be ready to take it when Sears closes. I mean the Greenville/Upstate CSA is about the same as Raleigh (which has a Nordstrom), and Birmingham, which was supposed to get a Nordstrom. Add the people from the Columbia area and Asheville that go to Greenville for shopping, and there's definitely a lot of people coming there. <br><br>I'm just not sure anything will happen to this company except completely disappearing. Target and Walmart stores have lower price points and have much more attractive stores than Kmart. The&nbsp;&nbsp;truth is that mid-tier malls aren't doing so well. Upscale and outlet malls by far are beating out mid-tier.<br><br>How is Dillard's at Haywood (by performance and brands)? I don't like Dillard's that much, so I don't really go here. Belk has completely renovated their store in Asheville, and there's no denying it's more attractive and more upscale than Dillard's at the same mall.<div><br><div>I know that Belk definitely needs to be renovated. The home department looks like a bad JCPenney, and the carpet upstairs is stained and dated. Going to the "new" Belk in Asheville definitely doesn't help the way it looks!</div></div>

edit: not sure why, but when I edit my posts sometimes it comes out as this form. But the better quality one is below, and a moderator should delete this if they get a chance.

Edited by ct36

I think that would be a great location for a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. The infrastructure is mostly in place and Haywood Mall is already a regional shopping magnet. It would be a nice addition closer to downtown, the convention center, and the airport. I would definitely be more excited about BPS in that location rather than any site along Woodruff Road.

Yuck. Nothing against BPS, but they usually open in large outlet-style malls like The Mills or dying malls, like The Savannah Mall or Myrtle Beach Mall. An anchor I would love to see come to Haywood and make a new debut in the south is Lord & Taylor (but not in the Sears space). After they were purchased, it definitely seems to be very classy and has made improvements. Now, I think Lord & Taylor truly is a mix of a Belk and a Nordstrom. I don't really like the idea of a completely new Macy's, because they aren't very nice anymore. The Haywood store is nice, but I just don't think it's worth it when Belk is generally nicer and generally has lower price points on the same merchandise. I must admit I absolutely love the nice Macy's stores like at Lenox and Mall at Millenia, but others just aren't that nice.

One thing I was pondering was what would happen at the Asheville Mall if Sears were to close. I think Macy's might want it, but the store is so dated they would have to remodel it completely, and it's so large they may as well just tear it down and start over. I'm not sure they would be willing to do that, with the current state of that end of the mall.

I think it would be nice if they just added on to Macy's at Haywood, and expand to at least 180,000 square feet ,which is around the size of the Belk store. If they were to add the lifestyle portion, expand Macy's and add a Nordstrom to the mall, that would attract many people away from Concord Mills, SouthPark, Anderson Mall, Westgate Mall, and the Asheville Mall. Ironically, three are Simon Malls so I'm not sure how they would feel about that. Taking away a lot away from a small mall, and some away from the most visited tourist attraction in NC and the most upscale and largest mall in NC.

I think Greenville is/will be ready for a Nordstrom. Since Sears at Haywood probably isn't going away this year yet, I think Nordstrom will be ready to take it when Sears closes. I mean the Greenville/Upstate CSA is about the same as Raleigh (which has a Nordstrom), and Birmingham, which was supposed to get a Nordstrom. Add the people from the Columbia area and Asheville that go to Greenville for shopping, and there's definitely a lot of people coming there.

I'm just not sure anything will happen to this company except completely disappearing. Target and Walmart stores have lower price points and have much more attractive stores than Kmart. The truth is that mid-tier malls aren't doing so well. Upscale and outlet malls by far are beating out mid-tier.

I saw the article and it said that Sears Holding will need to lose either Sears or K-mart but it got me thinking that K-mart isn't doing great at all either. I rarely see more that 10 or so cars in their parking lot anytime I pass one. I have to agree though that Sears stores are looking rough. I went to look at the one here in Columbia for laptops (to use my store card) and they only had 3 models out.... not a good way to get people coming to your stores. They don't seem to have hardly any products anymore. Maybe they can somehow close all K-marts and redo or restructure the Sears stores? A lot of malls will really be hurting if Sears disappears all together. Most can't bring in the high-end department stores and there are only a few low-mid range ones left.

I saw the article and it said that Sears Holding will need to lose either Sears or K-mart but it got me thinking that K-mart isn't doing great at all either. I rarely see more that 10 or so cars in their parking lot anytime I pass one. I have to agree though that Sears stores are looking rough. I went to look at the one here in Columbia for laptops (to use my store card) and they only had 3 models out.... not a good way to get people coming to your stores. They don't seem to have hardly any products anymore. Maybe they can somehow close all K-marts and redo or restructure the Sears stores? A lot of malls will really be hurting if Sears disappears all together. Most can't bring in the high-end department stores and there are only a few low-mid range ones left.

I don't really know what they're going to do but I would be surprised if they saw 2012 at Haywood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still think Belk is overdue for a renovation and expansion. This store is constantly outperforming

every single Belk store except SouthPark, Crabtree Valley, and Riverchase. They recently renovated the Belk here in Asheville, and the merchandise has outgraded so much so that St John and Stuart Weitzman are pretty much the only brands that are only avaliable at Haywood (out of the two). So, I think they should definitely do a complete renovation and expansion. The Belk in Asheville is 156,000 square feet and the one at Haywood is around 180,000 square feet if I'm correct.

The entire exterior of Haywood is crying out for renovations as well.

The parking lot has plenty of patches of crumbling asphalt (such as in the ring road and parking lot near JCPenney), and the 1980 brick, the Sears entrances, etc. all look terrible.

I assume that Simon knows that Haywood has zero mall competition and so its dollars can be invested elsewhere, but at some point the combination of a declining Haywood Road plus an unsightly mall will lead to issues.

The entire exterior of Haywood is crying out for renovations as well.

The parking lot has plenty of patches of crumbling asphalt (such as in the ring road and parking lot near JCPenney), and the 1980 brick, the Sears entrances, etc. all look terrible.

I assume that Simon knows that Haywood has zero mall competition and so its dollars can be invested elsewhere, but at some point the combination of a declining Haywood Road plus an unsightly mall will lead to issues.

I don't see why anyone Has thought that Nordstrom opening a store at Haywood would never happen. People have brought it up having a Nordstrom at Hanes, and they didn't seem to think that wouldn't happen. Now after seeing some statistics there's no way Nordstrom would open at Hanes. First, in 1999, Haywood's sales per square foot was over 390, and Haywood has more upscale stores and is nicer now. For 2010 Hanes was only 290, and was only 93 percent leased, whereas I'm guessing Haywood is hovering around 97 most of the time. Also, Belk at Haywood is constantly around the fourth or fifth best performing in the chain, and Hanes doesn't even make the top 10. Plus you have to remember that there is an area of around 1.5 million people (the CSA) of which many come to shop at Haywood.

I don't see Nordstrom opening at either mall. We had a Parisian but that's as high-end as I see Greenville's department stores being in the near future.

The closest comparable areas to GSP that have or were to have Nordstroms are Birmingham (store announced, but it fell through) and Raleigh-Durham. RDU is ahead of GSP in terms of per capita income levels, and the Nordstrom in Durham seems to be a "B" grade store, without the selection that the SouthPark store has. Birmingham can't be much ahead of Greenville, but I'd need to look at detailed demographics; the store that was announced for Birmingham fell through.

I'd also think that Nordstrom figures that people in Greenville will just drive to Charlotte or Atlanta to shop.

I went to Haywood for the first time in 4 months today. It was really crowded in the parking lot, but the mall not so much. I mean it was really crowded, but for having as many full parking spaces it was odd. Maybe they need more? The Macy's/Sears/JCPenney parking lots stay somewhat vacant, but the Belk and Dillard's ones always seem to be full. It really surprised me that they haven't at least renovated Belk at Haywood since then. I know they're trying to update their image now (by Oct 12 many renovations will be completed), and with Haywood being Belk's #4 performing store I was confused to see how they haven't had any major renovations. A lot of the carpet is stained, roof stained, old tile, and even grocery store style lighting hidden in some areas. The home department downstairs looks like pure (old) JCPenney. I visited the Haywood Dillard's for the first time in 4 years today. I really don't see why people think Belk is "grandma's department store" because I thought that more about Dillard's. I was very surprised to see how small it was, too. It looks huge from the outside, and having three levels you would think it's really large. But I really think Belk has a much. much larger footprint. I'm guessing Dillard's (3 levels) is around 220,000 square feet while Belk (2 levels) would be around 180,000 square feet.

I went to Columbiana last month, and was very disappointed with it. Honestly, I think there really isn't a good mall in SC besides Haywood. I think many would love a Nordstrom in Greenville (and it would do well), however, this would likely affect the sales of other stores, specifically SouthPark and Mall of Georgia. But if Haywood were to trade in some lower quality retailers (Rack Room, Hot Topic, Body Shop (Apparel)) with high quality ones (Anthropologie, Sephore, Brooks Brothers) then they could easily get a Nordstrom if Sears were to close in a few years. The other three upscale stores at Haywood (Macy's, Belk, Dillard's) are largely marketed upscale enough to where a Greenville Nordstrom store wouldn't be to much different (minus the cheaper brands and have nicer stores).

Why aren't we focusing on getting a Von Maur? Apart from smaller cities in the Pacific Northwest, Nordstrom's home, there are no cities with Greenville that I'm aware of that have one, unless they are in places such as Orange County (part of a larger metropolis).

Greenville had a Parisian, which was a great store- definitely higher-end than Belk and Dillard's, but not over-the-top, pricewise. I understand that Von Maur is similar.

Hopefully Haywood's deteriorating parking lot and dated exterior wouldn't turn off a new anchor from considering it. If I were a department store, I'd be thinking about Greenridge and Woodruff Road.