BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Oooo, tantalizing! Being cautiously optimistic however. I had a feeling a few of these projects would regain some type of life soon. Especially with the MCC going full speed now. The fact that the MCC is simply being built, IMO, has regenerated development in Nashville. Of course, several other factors help, but this is good to hear. Hope to see some tower cranes soon!!

Yeah, I'm with MTSUBR86 on height. I love it! However, I also agree with others stating that infill over height is still great! I would be happy with several buildings of around 20 stories (WES and Eakin)!!! The infill of 4 buildings around 20 stories, I think, will go further than an 60 to 80 story building. I mean a building of that size would be iconic, but these planned buildings with help connect West End to DT with the Gulch, Music Row, Division, 21 Ave, etc. in between. Then, I imagine, a few more buildings will pop up around the MCC (probably the majority will be hotels) which will help connect these areas to DT and SoBro all the way to the riverfront.

I would like to see some more buildings/projects/development pop up on the east side. If the transit corridor comes through (all the way to the east side), we will see the east side grow. However, I am not too sure of the urban fabric in that area. I know about all the wonderful historic houses, Five Points, and 5th and Main, but I am not sure how development will be tackled further (buildings of any considerable height 10, 15, 20 or more low rise infill)? I imagine it might but lower height buildings in order to preserve views, but who knows?! I would like to see some height on this side if done correctly.

• 1 month later...

This morning I dropped my car off for service at Import Auto Main. at the Broadway/West End split, across the street from Lake Palmer. The employees I spoke with said the InterContinental has bailed from the plans. Not happy with the occupancy rate of the sister property, indigo.

That being said when they speak to a Palmer 'official' they are told that the project is 80% leased and ground breaking is set for spring.... so go figure. They must have dropped the hotel/condo building and be planning on just an office building.

Edited by Guest

Oh Good Greif,

Who knows what the heck is going on this property. Palmer made a big mistake by digging the whole in the first place. Guess we will have to wait and see. I will have to see a ground breaking to believe it.

I would be interested to know who you spoke to. I would think that ICH would want a presence in Nashville. I would not think they would have scraped the plans unless they want to be closer into the core around the CC. That would suggest possibly another large hotel DT and they could be doing it on their own. This is just speculation on my part.

I am just frustrated with this project and want something built. I might even settle for a Wal-Mart with a big ass parking garage , Just kidding guys.

I am just frustrated with this project and want something built. I might even settle for a Wal-Mart with a big ass parking garage , Just kidding guys.

No, but an IKEA on the other hand... maybe a 4 story model. THAT I would take, regardless how completely miserable that would make traffic in that stretch.

There seems to be a lot of activity about to happen in Nashville. I do know a few things I cannot not post and do know there is some fierce competition for leases too. But with that being said there is a possibility we could have 15 to 16 mid-rise to high-rise towers under construction this time next year. That may be overly optimistic but maybe not. Many of those would be residential. And then again if all goes well there could be close to 20 towers of some sort or another. Most would be in the 6 to 9 story range; however there could be as many as 10 towers between 10 and 30 stories. I hope I am right but I have to take a chill pill and hope for the best and know I would be happy with just 5 or 6. That is an almost certainty.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When, and the big IF West End Summit is built, which design will be used? I have found at least five here and I think there may be one more that is very, very old. I am so confused as to which on is the latest, I would not even want to take a guess. Just thought I would get this out, since we are hearing talk of another possible groundbreaking next year. Of course we heard the same thing last December.

My thoughts are if you are going to build it then go ahead and build it and at least make a statement even if you loose your rear end on it. I think one of the reasons this thing is not done yet is that if I were a perspective tenant, I would be afraid to sign not knowing if it was going to be built in my lifetime or the lifetime of my company. I digress.

I guess my question here is which design is the one or do you think there will be another incarnation of the project. My feeling is that there will be another version.

The versions below are in no particular order

untitled-1.png

imagesCAM2J7ZU.jpg

imagesCABTSREB.jpg

imagesCA15SIY6.jpg

imagesCA3PZMZF.jpg

Personally, I like #2 the most, but when it comes to which design I actually think we be built, neither. Palmer probably has altered the amount of space for various uses throughout this project. I wouldn't be surprised if we see only one tower, with more of the space from the other tower being concentrated in the base. Maybe 8 floors of space at the base and then a 20-25 floor tower.

The original rendering is nowhere to be found. It looked similar to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_City_Hall

Only from above it did not look like an eye but more of an "s" shape. I only saw it once, and that was 5 years ago or more on the internet. I cna't for the life of me remember where I saw it. It;s like trying to find a rendering of Nashville City Center I and II. The image is gone.

I am also wondering if we will ever stop discussing this project? This was first announced in 2000-2001! It really took off in 2003-2004 and now in almost 2012 its still a hole.

I am going to make a pledge. I am no longer going to flog this dead horse. I am through with this project until I see a crane on site and concrete being poured.

Palmer may be a nice man, but this project is a bit ridiculous now. He may get one tower done, a 15 story Intercontinental at best. Right now the office building market is soft, and John Eakin or Market Street in the Gulch will get office tenants first. The Condo market is soft. The only project I could see him doing now is high rise apartments, or another brand of hotel, but the hotel market is starting to get saturated with the exception of the MCC hotels.

I really don't know what he expects to get for this site now. I say fill the hole, pave the lot and let Tony put Premier Parking there. Arrange satellite parking for Vanderbilt, Baptist, and Centennial Hospitals and have public transportation drive people to their destination. He could sell the lot and have an urban Whole Foods, Best Buy, or something else with underground parking in back to fill the hole.

The bottom line is this project is like the Federal Courthouse. It's done. Dead. Buried. Over. Finished. Gone.

Let's move on please!

Our discussions not withstanding, I still have very little hope for this project as corporate re-locations are down, the hotel market is getting saturated, luxury high end condo's have peaked, and mixed use has become a marketing buzzword more than an economic reality. As long as developers like Giarratana, Eakin, Hensler, and Palmer build every development for the top 1%, the market is going to continue to shrink. Even the wealthy run out of money, and cannot support all of these projects.

Giarratana's Park 25, although a rental, will be financially out of reach for most people.

Palmer would be better served by building an urban Target and an Urban Whole Foods on the lot and calling the development "The Galleries Of West End" or some other suburban cheesy name and be done with it. The city has given Palmer 10 almost 11 years for this project, and all we have is an 80 foot hole of water to show for it. Disgusting.